Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to Eat?!

Does anyone else feel really limited by the "Protein, Protein, protein" rule? I'm in this mind set that the only thing I can eat is protein filled meat and vegetables, which is sort of true. What do you guys do to mix it up? What other kinds of things besides meat do you eat to cover your protein? Also, I'm not a big fan of greek yogurt.

Also, really random question. Does anyone plan on taking their band out after they've reached their weight goal? Or do you plan on keeping it forever?

I don't focus on Protein, I eat a normal, healthy , balanced diet with food from all food groups including SHOCK HORROR - CARBS!

No I do not intend having my band removed . That would just be plain stupid as I am sure without the help that my band is giving me I would quickly be overweight again. It is not designed as a temporary fix - if that is what you want you should rather get a gastric balloon or the new endobarrier.

I'm just 5 days postop but I'm thinking tacos and burritos with veggies, casseroles that are lower calorie, takeout from the Japanese steakhouse. Just in a lot smaller quantities. I hope I will be able to eat chili with beef and Beans or refried (lo fat version) beans. Cheeses and nuts are Protein. Don't know if you like cottage cheese but it has protein. You can mix it with mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple and sugar free orange Jello and it's delicious. I'm going to try to eat healthier foods but I'm not gonna make eating unpleasant. Good luck.

It is a good choice for me. I was only asking because I heard it is an option and I wondered if anyone actually chose that option. I don't plan on taking my band out because it would reverse all the hard work I put into losing weight. I just wanted to know if people do actually choose to take it out.

And I was also asking for alternatives besides just meat as Protein. I'm not questioning the Protein rule, I just wanted to know about different ways to satisfy it.

But thank you for the advice. I do plan on sticking with my diet and my surgery because no one goes through that just to give up.

Your last question first: Absolutely not--I do not ever plan on removing the band--unless some unforeseeable negative event forces the issue.

I can lose weight...........I'm great at it. I've done it time and time again. But, unfortunately, I'm even better at gaining weight...........and every time I've lost weight, I've regained every pound plus a few more.

Why would you even ask if a person plans to have a band removed? Are you having some crazy thoughts? It's foolish thinking.

And yes, I have made a commitment to eat protein, protein, protein............the band is a tool, and to make it work, one must follow the advice. That being said, it doesn't have to be boring............there's lots of ideas out here on the web, and new recipes to devise and revise to keep the protein at an appropriate, healthy level, along with all of the other food groups, including dessert.

If you don't like Greek yogurt, don't eat it. There's tons of choices available.

My dietician said that within reason, anything is possible to eat in a reasonable amount---during one of three meals a day, and not in place of the protein.

If this is the kind of thinking you are having--questioning whether one needs to follow the protein, protein, protein; and whether the band is to be a lifetime commitment; why take the risk of surgery? It doesn't seem like it is the right decision for you, or something you will be committed to...............it is just a tool, not a magic bullet.

You need to do what is right for you, at the right time, when you are committed, forever.................

I don't think I've ever had cottage cheese, but I am willing to give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

I'm just 5 days postop but I'm thinking tacos and burritos with veggies, casseroles that are lower calorie, takeout from the Japanese steakhouse. Just in a lot smaller quantities. I hope I will be able to eat chili with beef and Beans or refried (lo fat version) beans. Cheeses and nuts are Protein. Don't know if you like cottage cheese but it has protein. You can mix it with mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple and sugar free orange Jello and it's delicious. I'm going to try to eat healthier foods but I'm not gonna make eating unpleasant. Good luck.

My doctor gave me a very simple guide to follow, Protein with every meal, no crackers, no chips, no cheese, no nuts and no high calorie Desserts. I have cheated with the chips even the day of my surgery, I think I needed the salt. Everything else is fine he did say some people have difficulty with soft bread and rice but he didn't say to not eat them. I am not buying anymore chips so I won't be tempted and the funny thing is chips were never a problem, I was always a steak and potatoes girl.

Does anyone else feel really limited by the "protein, Protein, protein" rule? I'm in this mind set that the only thing I can eat is protein filled meat and vegetables, which is sort of true. What do you guys do to mix it up? What other kinds of things besides meat do you eat to cover your protein? Also, I'm not a big fan of greek yogurt.

Also, really random question. Does anyone plan on taking their band out after they've reached their weight goal? Or do you plan on keeping it forever?

I dont focus on Protein. I eat small portions of normal, balanced foods, so great variety and within reason whatever I feel like eating.

Of course, I nixed fast food, huge creamy Pasta meals, too many carbs and I do include a Protein source with most meals - the exception being that I am on a pretty strict low residue diet for other issues at the moment and have to avoid much insoluble fibre (all the scratchy stuff, fruit and vegie skins,nuts, seeds, wholegrains) and eat a lot of soluble fibre, so Breakfast every day for me at the moment is oatmeal and tinned peaches. You can get a lot of the benefits of high protein low carb simply by going low glycaemic index carbs - good slow digesting wholegrains etc. Dont be afraid to eat small amounts of those foods. What matters is how the meal as a whole is digested, even if you eat a white bread sandwich, if its got a good protein in it - say chicken breast and salad - its not goign to give you that insulin spike, because the protein and vegies slow down that reaction. Eat white bread on its own or with jam on it and its a different story.

I never thought of it like that. Thanks for the advice! And I'll also try the oatmeal and peaches, that sounds really good. :)

I dont focus on Protein. I eat small portions of normal, balanced foods, so great variety and within reason whatever I feel like eating.

Of course, I nixed fast food, huge creamy Pasta meals, too many carbs and I do include a Protein source with most meals - the exception being that I am on a pretty strict low residue diet for other issues at the moment and have to avoid much insoluble fibre (all the scratchy stuff, fruit and vegie skins,nuts, seeds, wholegrains) and eat a lot of soluble fibre, so Breakfast every day for me at the moment is oatmeal and tinned peaches. You can get a lot of the benefits of high protein low carb simply by going low glycaemic index carbs - good slow digesting wholegrains etc. Dont be afraid to eat small amounts of those foods. What matters is how the meal as a whole is digested, even if you eat a white bread sandwich, if its got a good protein in it - say chicken breast and salad - its not goign to give you that insulin spike, because the protein and vegies slow down that reaction. Eat white bread on its own or with jam on it and its a different story.