Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ongoing Willpower Needed!

Hi all,

I am new to the site and not sure where to put this...

I was banded back in May 2004. I have lost about 55kgs and am now about 85kgs - still wanting to lose at least 15-20 kgs.

I have read others posts about how slow the weight loss can be. Initially, I lost weight very slowly, then it picked up, and now it is slow again.

Part of the reason for it being so slow at the moment is that I appear to have become fixated by all the foods that I CAN eat with the band but SHOULDN'T eg. chocolate, icecream, chips etc....

I went without these for AGES and it seems as though now I have tried them again I can't stop. I have had to had my band loosened recently because it was forming a "pouch" over top of the band which was causing problems. (The doctor said it was too tight - I thought it was great because it really limited my food intake....).

SO, bottom line - I guess I had hoped not to revert to my "old" ways of eating and suddenly I find myself doing this (but with a slightly different kind of food..) Bottom Line?? Weight Gain. I got down to 83kgs, then went up to about 90kg, back down to 84 and now up again to 85/86 kgs.

How do others cope with the cravings of the food that does actually go through the band. One think I have learned - you still need lots of willpower with a band. What do others think? Its driving me crazy!!

Kaysha.:help:

I agree with the willpower thing. I was also pretty tight a few weeks back. I ended up with a slight unfill as I was VERY attracted to things that would go through (ice cream, etc). You see our similiarities!!! Anyway, my surgeon said it was up to me as he could keep me as I was or go for the unfill. I told him that I wasn't getting the nutrition and was tempted to eat ANYTHING that would go down easily.

Now, I feel better and I am on track. Good luck. Shawn

Guest dgf

A few thoughts to share on WillPower:

I think we are and always will be wired as FAT people at heart ! No matter what medical proceduces we have taken on. Get over trying to have WillPower- we dont ! The thing I try everyday- and its a battle ! is justification , health, and control ! I find if I tell myself No ice cream I eat the whole gallon ! But, If I buy the sherbert small cup I can have one ! Dont buy full size candy bars buy the mini bags, then you get 2 ! Its alsmost like I have to trick me ! Does that make any sense at all :-) Hard to explain..But dont say NO say yes with control and quanity ! Lets face it Id reather be dead than NEVER have a cookie again :-) Im new on the board and a Banster for about 3 years Much success But SLOW going on the last 20 lbs. Im headed for a fill soon. Smiles,