Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you struggle after surgery before first fill?

Hi Everyone! I am 4 weeks banded and feeling healed and back to my old self pretty much. I thought I would have lost a ton of weight by now because I am eating waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less calories but I have not lost any weight since surgery. Is this odd? When will I start the ball rolling? Has this happened to anyone else?

i have lost only 10 pounds since surgery more than 3 weeks ago - i am on 800 calories a day i should have been losing a pound a day! you're body is in shock and adjusting/holding on to calories as if in starvation mode. sometimes people eat more calories one day just to shake things up and try to get scale moving - that has worked for me a couple times- best of luck!

I didnt struggle at all, for a good10 weeks I had the most superb restriction the likes of which I have never managed to replicate. The weight absolutely fell off me. I was not only full from small quantities, I had a complete absence of any particular appetite or interest in food, it was the one brief window in my life where I would "forget" to eat. It was fantastic, I milked it for all it was worth and lost about half of the weight I technically needed to lose.

I dont often say that because everyone else seems to struggle so badly in this period. There was absolutely no bandster hell for me. But I was banded in 2005 and I have a 4cc band - I know they've changed the design of the band to reduce erosion and slippage occurrences, but in my opinion, the 4cc band was FAR superior to current bands in terms of providing immediate restriction. I also have never had that frustrating Quest for the "sweet spot". Every single fill in my band took me to the spot that was right to me at that particular point of time. The only thing that changed is that the more fill I had in it, the longer that fill would "hold" before I began to feel the need for another, until eventually, I went like 2 years.

I recently had to unfill it totally for 6 months due to other surgical requirements and refilling it has been the same experience. NO waiting for restriction.

I love my old fashioned 4cc band.

but before you cyber axe murder me, restriction to me is a pretty poor cousin to what a lot of people describe. Once my body "recovered" I have never had that lack of interest in food again, I have always been able to eat quite a lot, I can eat every food, I have really had to work my band quite hard - no way for instance could I survive on a Protein Shake for Breakfast. It would go right through, Id finish it and think "right, now where's the food". I am always interested in food, my appetite is exactly the same as it was pre banding, I have just learned that I dont have to pander to it all day every day.