Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reward for reaching my goal weight

I have never been motivated by extrinsic rewards no matter how much it may be something,i want. For me the behaviour itself needs to be its own reward, so if we're talking losing weight, saving money,exercising, or keeping on top of the house, its got to be about becoming the type of person I want to be. Satisfaction and respect for myself are the most important things to me.

We're all different and respond to different stimuli but to me, shoes, holidays, clothes are not a reward. They're pleasures that I can and do have when i can afford to have them, and I dont withhold them because I'm "bad" (ie. fat).

There's been plenty of times in my life when I've tried this approach and it never works for me. My biggest achievements have always been when I've had the real inner desire to achieve something and when you have that, I dont think you need reward.

Of course, that's not to say you shouldnt treat yourself when you get there, there's absolutely nothing wrong with shoes or a new wardrobe or a holiday that, lets face it, you will particularly enjoy if you believe you've "earned" it. But they dont take the place of intrinsic motivation, that real inner drive. I believe you need to make that distinction to yourself, view it as an act of treationg yourself rather than really believing that that reward will truly motivate you, because by believing that, I think you're really indicating you have very little faith in yourself to achieve it. Does that make sense, I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm not sure I'm getting it across, lol.

I have hidden from the camera for 20 years. I can count on 2 hands the amount of pictures that exist of me in that time frame. So I think once I hit my goal weight... I'm going to hire a really great photographer and gather up a few cute outfits and discover my inner super model. I would tie that in to family pictures as well w/ my daughter and husband. I want to start to live my life in front of the camera as well as behind it. :rolleyes:

I decided I was going to reward myself for getting to certain weights, not just my goal. I picked up a pair of cute earrings when I hit 25 lbs last week, and my next goal of 50 I plan on getting a(nother) small tattoo. I haven't picked anything else out for 75,100, 125, and my goal of 140 :-) I also decided that these rewards would be something tangible, something I can hold in my hand (or look at on my body) and say " I got this when I reached ____ goal". Although the cruise sounds like a great idea for reaching my end goal!

When I get to goal I'm going to get a whole new wardrobe and a Coach purse.

When I get under 200 I'm going to get new designer eyeglasses. :)