Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What causes a weight GAIN post-surgery?

I was banded on July 18, and have faithfully done Clear liquids for seven full days. I have walked (albiet slowly) for at least a full hour each day, and rested as I need to. I jumped on the scale this morning, and was dismayed to discover that I am a half pound HEAVIER than I was a week ago. What could possibly be causing this? Although my belly is still somewhat tender and swollen, I don't think it should account for a GAIN of weight? i'm beginning to wonder if the success that others seem to have is going to elude me, even when I follow the rules? I'm crabby and disappointed after being so hopeful. It seems an especially cruel joke to travel to Mexico, pay for my own surgery, endure a week of painful body, and be rewarded with a weight gain? Am I the only one this happened to? Can others suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Frustrated and upset,

Polly

This is very, very common. I was told that I should not expect to lose weight and I might even gain the first 2 weeks after surgery. Your body is healing and you are swollen. I know its frustrating, but the loss will happen once you are healed.

Congrats on your surgery and good luck!

Polly,

Continue following all the post op instructions, I also gained weight right after (about 3-5 lbs the first week!). I was extremely bloated and having some regularity issues (sorry about the TMI). After about a week and a half to 2 weeks, I dropped a few pounds and it's continued since. Your body is trying to find normal again and is going through a lot. I was also crabby and not exactly happy right after (I'm not far into my journey either, I'm about 8.5 weeks post op at this point). You are doing nothing wrong! Right now is not a fun time and weight loss sometimes does not occur right away. A lot of people call this "bandster hell" until the first fill because many people get hungry between now and the first fill. Please, keep it up and continue following the instructions! Hopefully you'll be on full liquids soon and able to take in some Protein, that made me feel much better! The Protein shakes did make me pretty bloated but also made me feel a lot better and gave me some energy.

You're still healing, don't worry about minimal weight loss or even a small gain at this point. The first month (for me at least) wasn't much fun, but I'm very happy with my decision now and you'll be there soon too.

I was banded on July 18, and have faithfully done Clear Liquids for seven full days. I have walked (albiet slowly) for at least a full hour each day, and rested as I need to. I jumped on the scale this morning, and was dismayed to discover that I am a half pound HEAVIER than I was a week ago. What could possibly be causing this? Although my belly is still somewhat tender and swollen, I don't think it should account for a GAIN of weight? i'm beginning to wonder if the success that others seem to have is going to elude me, even when I follow the rules? I'm crabby and disappointed after being so hopeful. It seems an especially cruel joke to travel to Mexico, pay for my own surgery, endure a week of painful body, and be rewarded with a weight gain? Am I the only one this happened to? Can others suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Frustrated and upset,

Polly

It's the gas. They blow you up with it to allow them to move around inside during the surgery. You wouldn't think it would add weight, but it does. Don't worry it dissipates after a week or so. I weighed 9 pounds more the day after surgery than I did the day before. It will go away.

It's a Temporary thing, so don't worry about it. When it comes off, you will see your weight loss too.

I can't say how much between the two, but I think you will be happy.

So give it a chance, and let it come out of your system.

I had my surgery on the 13th and I gained 2 pounds. I realize that it is from the IV fluids and the gas. I will not be deterred. I have waited too long for this surgery and my new life to allow anything to upset me. I'm happy as can be right now even though my port area is still tender and my abdomen is still swollen. I know that things will take time. And just this morning, I got on the scale and one of those pounds was gone, so it will happen. We just have to learn patience. Best of luck to you.