Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for pre-op diet

Although I have been "trying to lose weight" over the last 2 years (15yrs in total), I think I had really given up on myself. Seeings how in that time frame I've gained 30 pounds. I gave up on my abilities to be a healthy person, because it really is a skill and I do have it, I somehow forgot and tossed in the towel. Deciding to have WLS is my way to stand up for myself, so to speak. My surgery is August 15 and I start my pre-op diet August 1 which is basically a no carb diet (Protein shakes not required).

So last week I asked myself, am I going to continue to 'give up' right up untill the pre-op diet is to start?? Or am I going to make changes right now?? I decided that because the pre-op diet and the diet I will be following after surgery are so different from what I was consuming, I better start making the changes now. It means I get an additional two weeks to try and change my mind and my habits. So this is my plan:

June 18 – 24

· No drinks with meals (wanted to start this early, because it is such a habit for me to drink something with a meal)

· Limit pop (I don't drink much pop, so this shouldn't be to hard)

· Protein shake for Breakfast Mon-Fri

· No snack before dinner (3 meals, 2 Snacks a day)

· Limit carbs

June 25 – 31

· No drinks with meals

· No pop

· Protein Shake for Breakfast Mon-Fri

· No Snacks before lunch or dinner (3 meals, 1 snack a day)

· Limit carbs and sugar

· Smaller portion for lunch

August 1 – 14 (Pre-op diet starts)

· No drinks with meals

· No pop

· Protein shake for breakfast everyday

· No carbs, fruit, sugar, cheese, alcohol

· No snacking (3 meals a day)

· Smaller portion for lunch and dinner

I thought this plan would get me into the right frame of mind not only before surgery but also before the pre-op diet. Small changes to gain momentum and produce big changes :)

What will you do?? Continue with your current eating habits right up until pre-op diet or start to make changes now??

Although I have been "trying to lose weight" over the last 2 years (15yrs in total), I think I had really given up on myself. Seeings how in that time frame I've gained 30 pounds. I gave up on my abilities to be a healthy person, because it really is a skill and I do have it, I somehow forgot and tossed in the towel. Deciding to have WLS is my way to stand up for myself, so to speak. My surgery is August 15 and I start my pre-op diet August 1 which is basically a no carb diet (Protein shakes not required).

So last week I asked myself, am I going to continue to 'give up' right up untill the pre-op diet is to start?? Or am I going to make changes right now?? I decided that because the pre-op diet and the diet I will be following after surgery are so different from what I was consuming, I better start making the changes now. It means I get an additional two weeks to try and change my mind and my habits. So this is my plan:

June 18 – 24

· No drinks with meals (wanted to start this early, because it is such a habit for me to drink something with a meal)

· Limit pop (I don't drink much pop, so this shouldn't be to hard)

· Protein shake for breakfast Mon-Fri

· No snack before dinner (3 meals, 2 Snacks a day)

· Limit carbs

June 25 – 31

· No drinks with meals

· No pop

· Protein Shake for breakfast Mon-Fri

· No Snacks before lunch or dinner (3 meals, 1 snack a day)

· Limit carbs and sugar

· Smaller portion for lunch

August 1 – 14 (Pre-op diet starts)

· No drinks with meals

· No pop

· Protein shake for breakfast everyday

· No carbs, fruit, sugar, cheese, alcohol

· No snacking (3 meals a day)

· Smaller portion for lunch and dinner

I thought this plan would get me into the right frame of mind not only before surgery but also before the pre-op diet. Small changes to gain momentum and produce big changes :)

What will you do?? Continue with your current eating habits right up until pre-op diet or start to make changes now??

I personally think that you have a very good plan and I realize that I need to begin something similar with both diet and exercise. I realized sometime over the last ssix to twelve months that I needed to do something permanent and get this weight off forever. My blood sugars and A1C are rising, I have sleep apnea, have already had my knees replaed, degenerative disc disease, controlled hypertension and shortness of breath upon exertion. There is obesity on my mother's side. Currently, I am eating high protein and low carbs but I need to still get my fruits and vegetables in. I need to increase the exercise. My joints limit me in high impact stuff but am working with a physical therapist on low impact stuff. I ride a stationary bike at least twice a week but need to increase that. My insurance requires three months of nutritional counseling. I have to lose ten more pounds before my surgery can be scheduled. I am trying to record everything I eat. Oh, the other big thing for me also is not drinking with meals. All the best to you and thanks for posting your plan.

Melinda

I personally think that you have a very good plan and I realize that I need to begin something similar with both diet and exercise. I realized sometime over the last ssix to twelve months that I needed to do something permanent and get this weight off forever. My blood sugars and A1C are rising, I have sleep apnea, have already had my knees replaed, degenerative disc disease, controlled hypertension and shortness of breath upon exertion. There is obesity on my mother's side. Currently, I am eating high Protein and low carbs but I need to still get my fruits and vegetables in. I need to increase the exercise. My joints limit me in high impact stuff but am working with a physical therapist on low impact stuff. I ride a stationary bike at least twice a week but need to increase that. My insurance requires three months of nutritional counseling. I have to lose ten more pounds before my surgery can be scheduled. I am trying to record everything I eat. Oh, the other big thing for me also is not drinking with meals. All the best to you and thanks for posting your plan.

Melinda

Thanks Melinda for your reply. I think it's good to get a plan in place as soon as your ready for one. For some the pre-op diet might be their preparation, but I just couldn't keep going the way I was going right up to pre-op diet. In my mind, my pre-op diet has already started.

I should also mention, I have also recommitted to get active. I will use my YMCA membership to do some kind of activity Mon, Wed and Thursday after work. I thought this was realistic for the summer :) I also walk to work Mon-Fri, but it's only a 15 min walk.

I also should mention I tested out a Protein powder my room mate had last week, not very good, but I thought I could handle it. Instead she brought home some samples last night and the one I had today was so good! I'm excited I found one I like. I wasn't sure if I could do the Protein shakes, but so far so good :) I will keep looking for others that are good too.

I agree my surgery is Aug 31st so my pre op diet starts officially on Monday but I decided to start it this week so as of Monday I have been on the Protein Shakes and lots of Water the water helps keep me feeling full and as I have been told over and over most of the time when you think your hungry you really just thirsty so I have a large 101.4 fld ounce bottle of arrowhead water on my desk and I have a homemade straw I made for myself with a regular straw and some aquarium air line hose I bought at wal mart at first I got a lot of teasing and stares when I would put the line in the corner of my mouth and be busy filling out reports on my computer but after about a week nobody cared anymore and and now nobody pays any attention to it and I manage to drink the whole bottle before 3pm which is my goal to be done before I head for home I think the hardest part for me will be not drinking with meals as I was raised drinking with my meals and it will be a tough habit to break. I plan to go to the grocery this weekend and stock up on broth and sugar free Jello I bought two large container of Body Fortress Protein Powder and have been drinking that I wish I had paid more attention to the flavor label and not bought the chocolate Peanut Butter when I meant to buy the plain Chocolate flavor but it has been o.k. I tried the vanilla shake this morning and I really liked it I make it with water and add about 6 ice cubes to give it a frothy milkshake consistancy.So Iam hoping that on Monday when I start on it hardcore I will already be used to it enough that it will not be that hard to stick to it and be successful on it.

I agree my surgery is Aug 31st so my pre op diet starts officially on Monday but I decided to start it this week so as of Monday I have been on the Protein shakes and lots of Water the Water helps keep me feeling full and as I have been told over and over most of the time when you think your hungry you really just thirsty so I have a large 101.4 fld ounce bottle of arrowhead water on my desk and I have a homemade straw I made for myself with a regular straw and some aquarium air line hose I bought at wal mart at first I got a lot of teasing and stares when I would put the line in the corner of my mouth and be busy filling out reports on my computer but after about a week nobody cared anymore and and now nobody pays any attention to it and I manage to drink the whole bottle before 3pm which is my goal to be done before I head for home I think the hardest part for me will be not drinking with meals as I was raised drinking with my meals and it will be a tough habit to break. I plan to go to the grocery this weekend and stock up on broth and sugar free Jello I bought two large container of Body Fortress Protein powder and have been drinking that I wish I had paid more attention to the flavor label and not bought the chocolate Peanut Butter when I meant to buy the plain chocolate flavor but it has been o.k. I tried the Vanilla shake this morning and I really liked it I make it with water and add about 6 ice cubes to give it a frothy milkshake consistancy.So Iam hoping that on Monday when I start on it hardcore I will already be used to it enough that it will not be that hard to stick to it and be successful on it.

Good for you!! I think it's important to both have a morning time with food and have some of your favorites to get them out of your system, and to really set ourselves up for success on the pre-op diet. I'm glad I didn't go from one exream to the other. I also struggle with not drinking with meals. Although I have been good this week, it was hard to get started. Sounds like you have a great plan in place for success :)