Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain After Lap Band Surgery

I am getting very close to scheduling my surgery date and I am very nervous about pain after surgery. I have never had surgery and I am very scared? Can anyone explain the pain. Thanks!

The pain is very minimal. The worst part is caused from the gas they use to "blow up" your body so they can move around in there. It will dissipate over the next couple weeks and moving around helps immensely.

The pain is more soreness than anything else. The pain meds they will give u will suffice. I've had several surgeries and this was the easiest.

I agree that the pain feels like soreness. Sort of like if you were working out in the yard all day, the way you'd feel the next day, but mostly in your abdomen instead of soreness in your arms & legs. I don't know if that makes sense laugh.gif Yes, the gas hurts until it gets out of your body, and that's a sharp pain, but the incisions hurt like a soreness. I used all of my pain meds mostly because they made me happy! Getting out of bed and twisting were the worst for me.

I was just banded on July 12th. The pain was the worst the first few days. Each day the pain got sooo much better though. The first and second day were by far the toughest. There was incision pain and gas pain. However...now I am only feeling incision pain where the port is and it is not so bad. I am a teacher and chose to stay home for the summer this year but if I had to go back to work I would have been able to do so yesterday (Monday)...a week after the surgery. In comparsion to the other surgeries I have had this has been the easiest and quickest recovery. Best of luck!

I am getting very close to scheduling my surgery date and I am very nervous about pain after surgery. I have never had surgery and I am very scared? Can anyone explain the pain. Thanks!

i'm having my surgery july 29th ; i am on my 2 weeks diet; everybody i talk to says this is the worst part;;

i;m looking for a goods change in my life

I'm so glad I found this because I've been worried about the pain as well. My sister just had Gastric Bypass and I helped her out the first few days and she was in a lot of pain ... I know it's a more invasive surgery, so I knew it would be less painful.

I have my surgery on Friday and feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better that I won't be in too bad of shape. I'm hoping to return to work before the first week is up, though they're very flexible and I can take all the time I need.

Cheers to a new lease on life! :)

I'm so glad I found this because I've been worried about the pain as well. My sister just had Gastric Bypass and I helped her out the first few days and she was in a lot of pain ... I know it's a more invasive surgery, so I knew it would be less painful.

I have my surgery on Friday and feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better that I won't be in too bad of shape. I'm hoping to return to work before the first week is up, though they're very flexible and I can take all the time I need.

Cheers to a new lease on life! :)

I am having my banding done Friday also. Mine is at Ochsners in New Orleans

I am having my banding done Friday also. Mine is at Ochsners in New Orleans

Congratulations! I wish you much luck and a speedy recovery, I'm having my surgery at Southern Maryland!

Move as often and as much as you can. Stock up on gas-Ed and stool softener. Drink plenty of Water. Use a small pillow to press against incisions when getting out of bed and coughing. I've had laproscopic and open abdominal surgery before. It really does get better quickly