Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Addicted to Sugar? Help!!!

Hi all!

I was banded back in May and am doing great!

I'm just having some trouble with some carbs, i.e. baked goods, candy, etc... Once I start, I can't stop! I can go a good while without indulging, but once it happens, WHAM!! The tornado has struck!!

The weird thing is, plain bread, rice, juice & sugary drink I'm ok with, and have no trouble having a bit or not having any! It's really weird!

I'm afraid the lack of control might eventually lead to streching out the pouch/ causing complications if I'm not careful! Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Any advice, insight or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I absolutely think it's possible to be addicted to sugar/carbs. I have PCOS which means (among other things) that my body doesn't process insulin correctly. So being insulin resistant, every time I have sugar or a carb, my body gets confused and asks me for more, and more, and more. That's an oversimplification but you know what I mean laugh.gif

At this point, I really think your best bet is to avoid your trigger foods altogether. I'd get some sugar-free flavored Syrup and you can use that to sweeten yogurt, or cottage cheese, and it'll feel like a sweet treat but it's still healthy.Some days I can have a small cookie or a bite of brownie and be fine... and some days just one bite sends me down a path of eating everything in sight. I wish I had a magic solution, 'cause I'd use it too!

Hi all!

I was banded back in May and am doing great!

I'm just having some trouble with some carbs, i.e. baked goods, candy, etc... Once I start, I can't stop! I can go a good while without indulging, but once it happens, WHAM!! The tornado has struck!!

The weird thing is, plain bread, rice, juice & sugary drink I'm ok with, and have no trouble having a bit or not having any! It's really weird!

I'm afraid the lack of control might eventually lead to streching out the pouch/ causing complications if I'm not careful! Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Any advice, insight or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes, the dreaded sugar problem, I have that too and what I've done is use honey and drizzle that over sugar free vanilla pudding if I need a sweet fix, but also sugar free popsicles and sugar free fudgicles help too. They are only 5 calories. But don't over do them, which can happen. Also, you can make a Protein shake with fruit or add any flavored extract to the Protein Drink for a different flavor. Hope this helps. :D