Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upheaval brings weight gain

Hello there. My name is Amanda and I am new to the group. I am here trying to regain my balance. I got a band in late May and did really well at first, but I moved from Philadelphia to New York, started a new job and moved back into my home in June. I was fine when I was not working but work seems to have sent my diet into a tizzy. The good thing is that I love to exercise. But it's the food I find such a huge challenge.

I had my first fill in June and it was minimal. Since then, I have been constantly hungry and can't seem to put down my fork. Anyone have good suggestions on how to get back on track? I see my doctor in Philly soon for a fill but I am dreading that visit. I feel so disappointed in myself. This was a big decision and recovery was no piece of cake. I feel like I am blowing the journey just as it as truly just begin.

Hi, I have been on a plateau for a few months too . I am on this site for the frost time to try to get myself back on track. Have lost 65 lbs but could loose another 50 or more. . Don't be so hard on yourself. This is really difficult or we'd all be tsuper thin. This is a lifelong habit you are trying to break. You haven't blown it...just take Larrypdot's advice and start packing a lunch and Snacks. Youncan buy really cute lunch bags now that look like purses ( ok it's such a girl thing I know but it helps). Also I find keeping track of Proteins in a cute little journal is helpful and if I miss a day I don't beat myself up. I am trying to break years of being hard on myself for everyblittle thing and you should stop doing it to yourself. Just start again...we can do this!!! I try to do something fun as much as possible, even if it's a little thing. Be kinder to yourself. I had my surgery last August, a month after I lost my wonderful mom who was my best friend and I am determined to live longer than she did and be in better health so my kids don't have to go through this too soon. Normally I would have eaten and eaten from this much grief but instead have put the energy into this experience. Try exercising more, maybe pack a small lunch and take a walk at lunch time. Even the short walks add up over time. Good luck..you can get back on track, it's the long run that counts.

Larry and Susie,

Thanks for the support. I do normally carry my lunch. I do okay during the day. I guess when I am at home the stress catches up with me. I will try not to be so hard on myself. And I will track more religiously.

Keeping busy iat night is a great stategy. Knitting is great. I made SO many scarves one winter and it kept me from snacking at night. it,s hard to eat and knit a t the same time!

I had the opposite problem, and I was unfilled too. After a big surgery late last year, I had to take this year off work. Full time work makes it super easy for me to eat three meals a day adn that's all - especially as I'm a teacher and in Australia we dont have school meals and vending machines in our schools or any of that stuff, heck int he public system we even ahve to buy our own tea and coffee for the staffroom. So there is no food to eat at school that I dont bring and as a teacher, you dont really leave the school at lunch time. At home I just revert to my old habits of constantly grazing all day - so what I found was that I had to change my habits to avoid downtime. I literally do not allow myself to sit down all darn day, I must always be doing SOMETHING - that usually isnt on the computer (coz I eat then). I must say the benefit is double edged - I get through the afternoon without eating and my house is pretty organised. As soon as I was well enough, I was looking for casual work even though i cant go back to my full time job this year. Anything to fill in my days. I ended up with a brilliantly physical job teaching gymnastics!

On the days when I slack and sit down for any length of time, I always always always end up eating things I didnt want to eat.

So my advice would be to identify when and why you eat badly and change the habits that lead to that also, rather than just relying purely on willpower to resist.

Can you keep the food you don't want to eat out of the house? Easier said than done if you don't live alone! But removing temptation may help.