Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 weeks post-op - 4 lbs. lost, what's wrong?

I had lap band surgery on May 5, 2011. I lost 16 lbs. on the pre-op diet. The band had 2 cc of Fluid in it and was taken out 4 days after surgery because I was having such bad heartburn and throwing everything up. My dr. stated "oh, I didn't realize I had left that saline in there".

First fill was performed under xray - 1.5cc of Fluid put in. I ate liquied diet for first 24 hours.

Not able to consume (and keep down) any meat or bread since surgery. Even very well chewed Tilapia!

Went back to dr. 2 weeks after first fill to get another fill in office. (Since I wasn't losing weight and wasn't eating much I figured I needed another fill) 2.5 cc were injected and I automatically thought I would throw up. Dr. left 2.0 cc in and I went home. Within 30 minutes of leaving dr. office I realized I could not even swallow my own saliva without extreme pain and wanting to throw up. I called dr. they said to definitely come back in, 3 hours later. Dr. left 1.75cc in band so I was almost back to where I started. I was ok with that and made a new resolution to really try to get my Protein in first (cottage cheese) and be very careful about not snacking. Threw up everything for the next 3 days except broth. Went back to dr. and he took out .25 cc and I now have 1.5cc - exactly where I began. Dr. also thought I might be getting dehyrdated and that would cause my band to get tight so I am trying to stay really hydrated but still haven't been able to eat much that is solid.

Now 4 days after my last adjustment I can eat only a few bites of chicken but more than a couple of bites and I want (and do) throw up.

I know I've probably left out something in this mix but I really don't know what to do anymore. I have only lost 4 lbs. since surgery and I can not eat any meat, bread, and now after last weeks' debocale with fills I can't much of anything solid. I get in at least 10 minutes of exercise every day. WHY am I not losing anything????

Any ideas? Any suggestions? I know I am probably missing something really obvious.

Thanks!

Wow, what a rollercoaster. :-)

Hang in there, it does get better. I found that really cold drinks make my band tighten. So I try room temperature fluids or just slightly chilled. Really try not to eat 30 minutes before or after you eat. This should help you get some food in. You sound like you're already chewing properly, so maybe try some different foods (different textures).

I don't have a lot of advice, other than don't give up. I'm a slow loser (pound wise) but I have lost a lot of inches. You may be doing the same thing.

I agree about the liquid temperature; when I have issues with the band like that I go on warm liquids...drink lots of tea and eat broth based Soups. I think you're probably not losing much between most likely being dehydrated and your poor body is probably hanging onto every calorie it can because you're not eating enough. Because your intake is so low currently I wouldn't recommend overdoing it with exercise, but eventually you will need to increase it to at least 30 minutes, even if you break it up throughout the day. If you can, I would recommend trying a liquid diet for a little while...your band is most likely really irritated at this point and I know when that happens to me I can't eat solids for the rest of the day without sliming, no matter how much I chew it. Maybe even yogurt or sugar free Jello would help...just throwing some ideas at you; sorry they're so random!

You need to get your band COMPLETELY unfilled. You should be able to eat. You're probably not losing because you're not getting enough calories in. You should NEVER have gotten a first fill if you couldn't eat to begin with. If you had told your doc about not being able to eat and he still gave you a fill, then sorry, but your doc is an idiot. If you can't eat solids without pain and or pbing or vomiting you are in the red zone. See Alex's green zone post in the post op thread. You are not supposed to be in pain when you eat. So please go get all your Fluid removed and give your stomach time to rest, since I'm sure it's very irritated.