Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Disorders

I do a lot of reading here but don't post much. I posted a few months back about bulimia and the band and got lots of positive advice. Unfortunately I was unable to follow it and the Bulimia took over my life. This is a warning to others, cause I'm sure there are some eating disorder people here. My band has slipped badly, the food is not going down. So all my fill is goine. Plus, i'm having to go cold turkey on the Bulimia so I don't do any further damage.

Please , please , please look after your band. Don't do what I did.:embarassed:

Are you able to have the damage repaired or will you have to have it taken out? I also know of some one in the same situation however her Dr will not replace the band.I wish you well and the best of luck and hope you will find what it takes to cure the bulimic illness you have.It is an illness as you well know and needs to be treated along with your slippage.

All the very best

Yikes. I was bulimic as a teenager, but I'm so scared of slippage that it never occurs to me anymore. If you have to have your band out, don't replace it until you get your mind on track with the program. It's not worth it. BTW, my cousin had RNY bypass and she CAN'T vomit, it's physically impossible. That would be one way to lose weight and fight the bulimia. Extreme, I know, but only an option to consider. Do what's best for you.

I struggled for ten years with bulimia and fought hard to overcome. I have to admit, sometimes when I PB, it stirs up the old demons. It scares me greatly. Bulimia and those old demons are always there, always dancing around. It's scary stuff.

You *must* get help in the form of therapy. This isn't a disease you can overcome on your own. It's a deeply rooted thing and a good competent therapist can help you.

I give you hugs and wish you luck on your journey. It's a tough road but I believe in you!!!

:clap2: Josygirl,

I was severely bulimic in my late teens to early twenties and for a long time was afraid to even take on trying to lose weight because of my fear of reverting back to my old habits. So when I decided to have the lapband surgery, I thought it was a means that could not be affected by my previous actions. I was wrong and it has been a struggle ever since. The first time I PB'd brought back that immediate feeling that I felt when I was bulimic. I found myself beginning to eat more, throw it up and then eat again. The same pattern. I was depressed and angry that I could not release these same food demons after so many years. The one thing that saved me was a person much like yourself who ended up having a slippage due to their bulimia and found themselves in an even graver situation. I praise this person everyday for their openness regarding it all as I do to you. It's still hard but my fear of slippage and my memory of her words are what keep me on track again and again.

Good luck to you and thank you for sharing. YOu have not idea the positve effect your words can have on another.

Thanks everyone for your responses. At this stage it looks like the unfill is going to fix the slip so I don't have to have a further operation. I havn't told my surgeon about the Bulimia cause I figure he would be angry with me.

The worst part is I lost most of my weight without the Bulimia and hardly PB'd at all. But when I got close to goal/maintenance I started eating all the food that i had been depriving myself of. Like Melissa said the Bulimia drags you in, like a siren call. And the PBing does give your thoughts a tug.

Melissa I hope my message helps you to avoid the mistakes I made. My slippage is really bad - the barium is just sitting in my pouch and not going anywhere.

I do see a therapist and she is helping me with this challenge.

Josygirl

I am so glad to see someone else address these issues. I feel like the "closet" bulimic. I thought the band would help me forget about food. When I researched the band, all I was ever told was "I am so full, I don't think about food any longer." This was music to my ears.

Unfortunately, the PB'ing occurred and I was loving life!! I wasn't sticking my finger down my throat and the weight was coming off. Unfortunately, I believe that I have slippage. It is my own fault , of course. I had a barium swallow and my barium was not going anywhere but the band was in proper position per my surgeon. I had some fill taken out and in the past two weeks, I can eat everything and anything with minimal PB'ing.

I am definitely going to work my band better.

Sheri