Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Approval wait time

Im just curious, how long did it take for your insurance company to send the approval or denial for surgery back to your doctors office? I will be attending my 6th medically supervised diet visit on July 6th. I know I still have a pre-op class to attend so that will also take time.

Does everyone have to get blood work, EKG, and additional work done if you had it performed before? I had all that done except for the chest x-ray in February. Im just curious and trying to guesstimate when my surgery will occur because I will have to request time off of work. If anyone wants to share what occured after your last medically supervised visit up until the date of surgery, I would appreciated it.

They will tell you the approval or denial takes up to 30 days (May depend on your insurance company), but mine took less than a week! So my dr scheduled a 7th visit (You can't skip one month during this time) and they called me about a week after my 6th appointment and I was going into surgery 3 weeks later!

Once the surgery was scheduled I was required to have another blood test (do this ASAP when you find out you're approved, if there are any levels that need to be tweeked, you'll want to know quickly). I also had to attend a pre op nutrition class and what to expect during surgery. The pre op class for me was 2 weeks prior to surgery (since they require a 2 week pre op diet - which was why I was scheduled for surgery 3 weeks later). Overall, it wasn't too bad and it came fairly quick!

Good luck :)

Im just curious, how long did it take for your insurance company to send the approval or denial for surgery back to your doctors office? I will be attending my 6th medically supervised diet visit on July 6th. I know I still have a pre-op class to attend so that will also take time.

Does everyone have to get blood work, EKG, and additional work done if you had it performed before? I had all that done except for the chest x-ray in February. Im just curious and trying to guesstimate when my surgery will occur because I will have to request time off of work. If anyone wants to share what occured after your last medically supervised visit up until the date of surgery, I would appreciated it.

It did not take long for my insurance company to approve my surgery. My last nutrition visit was on June 1st. My paperwork was sent to the insurance company the next day. I was approved by that Tuesday. However, I initially wanted the sleeve and changed my mind after the paperwork was submitted, so it took the insurance company an additional day or two once they received the new codes from my surgeon's office. I was banded on June 30th. I wanted the surgery sooner but my surgeon does surgery during the summer every other Thursday at the hospital my insurance approved. During my nutrition visit, I did blood work so they could check my Vitamin and mineral levels. I was advised to begin taking a multi, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin D, B-12, and Omega 3. Once my surgeon's office received the approval from the insurance company, I went in for a pre-op visit I was given a Lap Band packet to read, discussed if I was ready for the procedure, what to expect afterwards, and suggestions on what to have on hand when I go home and my pre-op diet for 5 days. Also, I had to pay for deductible to the surgeon for the lap band. I had to go the hospital to register, do my chest x-ray, and EKG. I had the option to pay then or up to the day of my procedure. I decided to pay and have peace of mind that everyone received their money. I started my Pre-op diet on a Sat and had surgery that Thursday

My suggestion to anyone is know exactly what the criteria is needed for your insurance company. Work closely with you case manager at your surgeon's office to make sure she receives all test results from other Dr.'s you are working with for approval and exact date you can expect for them to submit to the insurance company. And once the paperwork has been submitted to the insurance company I called everyday to check on the status. As a matter of fact, I called the insurance co and they were waiting for the nurse to sign off on my paperwork, the customer service rep put me on hold and she contacted that dept and asked if she could review my record because they were waiting on her signature, and she signed off. Customer Service was able to get my approval letter on the phone and fax it to me and my surgeon's office.

Overall, it was an easy ride

Good Luck!

Thank you for the response. I am anxious and ready to complete my final visit tomorrow. I hope my insurance company comes back with an answer within a week that would be great.

They will tell you the approval or denial takes up to 30 days (May depend on your insurance company), but mine took less than a week! So my dr scheduled a 7th visit (You can't skip one month during this time) and they called me about a week after my 6th appointment and I was going into surgery 3 weeks later!

Once the surgery was scheduled I was required to have another blood test (do this ASAP when you find out you're approved, if there are any levels that need to be tweeked, you'll want to know quickly). I also had to attend a pre op nutrition class and what to expect during surgery. The pre op class for me was 2 weeks prior to surgery (since they require a 2 week pre op diet - which was why I was scheduled for surgery 3 weeks later). Overall, it wasn't too bad and it came fairly quick!

Good luck :)

This is good to know. I am writing this down now so that I can ask the doctor tomorrow about what I need to start doing after my visit. I will also look online tonight to find out if I have meet my deductable. I belive I have but I want to make sure all my ducks are lined up tomorrow. I am so excited. Thank you for replying.

It did not take long for my insurance company to approve my surgery. My last nutrition visit was on June 1st. My paperwork was sent to the insurance company the next day. I was approved by that Tuesday. However, I initially wanted the sleeve and changed my mind after the paperwork was submitted, so it took the insurance company an additional day or two once they received the new codes from my surgeon's office. I was banded on June 30th. I wanted the surgery sooner but my surgeon does surgery during the summer every other Thursday at the hospital my insurance approved. During my nutrition visit, I did blood work so they could check my Vitamin and mineral levels. I was advised to begin taking a multi, Calcium, Iron, vitamin D, B-12, and Omega 3. Once my surgeon's office received the approval from the insurance company, I went in for a pre-op visit I was given a Lap Band packet to read, discussed if I was ready for the procedure, what to expect afterwards, and suggestions on what to have on hand when I go home and my pre-op diet for 5 days. Also, I had to pay for deductible to the surgeon for the lap band. I had to go the hospital to register, do my chest x-ray, and EKG. I had the option to pay then or up to the day of my procedure. I decided to pay and have peace of mind that everyone received their money. I started my Pre-op diet on a Sat and had surgery that Thursday

My suggestion to anyone is know exactly what the criteria is needed for your insurance company. Work closely with you case manager at your surgeon's office to make sure she receives all test results from other Dr.'s you are working with for approval and exact date you can expect for them to submit to the insurance company. And once the paperwork has been submitted to the insurance company I called everyday to check on the status. As a matter of fact, I called the insurance co and they were waiting for the nurse to sign off on my paperwork, the customer service rep put me on hold and she contacted that dept and asked if she could review my record because they were waiting on her signature, and she signed off. Customer Service was able to get my approval letter on the phone and fax it to me and my surgeon's office.

Overall, it was an easy ride

Good Luck!

Yes everyone has to get all of the blood work, EKG, ultrasounds, lung test and check x-ray from what I've read.

It took my insurance company almost exactly 30 days for approval. My co-worker had the Sleeve done at a different clinic and it only took her 2 business days. :blink:

I did not have to do a pulmonology exam or chest x-ray. I also didn't do a sleep study.

My insurance request was submitted right before Thanksgiving and I heard back mid-January. My surgery date as a month after I got the call with the approval. I had to do blood work during my insurance work-up then again during my pre-admittance appointment. for the hospital. My surgeon's pre-op diet was 2 weeks long, so I could not have had my surgery any earlier than 2 weeks after my approval came through. Some surgeon's don't require than long.

If you don't mind me asking what insurance do you have?

I did not have to do a pulmonology exam or chest x-ray. I also didn't do a sleep study.

My insurance request was submitted right before Thanksgiving and I heard back mid-January. My surgery date as a month after I got the call with the approval. I had to do blood work during my insurance work-up then again during my pre-admittance appointment. for the hospital. My surgeon's pre-op diet was 2 weeks long, so I could not have had my surgery any earlier than 2 weeks after my approval came through. Some surgeon's don't require than long.

I have BCBS California ACCESS Plus H M O. I went through it three years ago.

If you don't mind me asking what insurance do you have?

I had a ton of hurdles from my insurance company (which was okay for me) so by the time my surgeon's office submitted for authorization - my insurance company (if they were looking) knew exactly why I wanted the band, etc. Took 3-4 days for the ins company to approve. (And I called to check on them to make sure the claim was recived, etc).