Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just banded 6 days ago, so I am still on liquids. Honestly haven't found a Protein Shake I remotely enjoy, and I've tried almost everything I've seen suggested. I have to get in 60g of Protein daily, so I do force them down. My question is, after you get to the maintenance lifelong diet, do you still find Protein Shakes a part of your daily intake? I am just wondering,,eating less food, can you still fit all your daily protein requirements in without the shakes?

Absolutely, I rarely drink Protein Shakes and I get more than enough Protein. I only drink shakes now is after a fill. Or if I'm having a little mini plateau and I feel I need to get myself back on track I'll do a day of of 2 shakes and dinner or protein shakes just to jumpstart me. Which I think I'll be doing on Tuesday because I'm struggling right now.

I used shakes for Breakfast while I was in loosing mode. My band was too tight for food in the morning. I now use them sometimes if I want to loose a few pounds that I gained.

Funny, i just put this into another response.

I bought a ton of the stuff only to find out that my surgeon doesn't want his patients using them. His orders are no liquids with calories, period. After immediate post-op phase, of course. So, my investment of about a hundred dollars of stuff eventually went into the trash.

Now, as much as I love my surgeon, we came to an understanding. I can consume liquid calories, but I need to take them into account in my overall nutritional plan. I did finally find a shake that I like, I keep it around for times when I am bored with my routine and just want something quick. I also LOVE a bit of milk from time to time and I was unwilling to give that up. So my surgeon said I could have a little, but needed to give up something else.

I also do Protein Bars instead of shakes, they are not liquid calories! rolleyes.gif

thanks everyone..better days ahead!

I'm doing the pre-op diet now and hate the shakes. The reason...... Everything is too sweet! Jello, Popsicles. I have been drinking chicken bullion but it has so much sodium. Any suggestions for some kind of powdered Soups or liquid that we can have without too many cals and sodium?

If you find things to sweet, this is something I go with. 1/2c of the 50/50 OJ or orange flavored crystal light, 1/4c skim milk, couple of drops lemon juice, 2 scoops of vanilla Body Fortress whey Protein and lots of ice. This makes a Orange Julius type drink. The Body Fortress gives you 52g of Protein.

I really can't eat in the am, so shakes get my day going. chicken, shrimp and fish or Salmon on my George Foreman grill are the answer for most of my cooking needs. chicken salad, tuna salad with a few crackers or 3 oz of deli turkey and a slice of cheese. There a lots of options, salsa, shrimp &onions stir fried with a little Tomato sauce over some wheat Pasta and I got dinner.

52 grams of Protein at one time MIGHT be too much for an individual. Please double check this with your nut., doc. or dietician. We are told that our bodies can only handle 20 to 25 grams of protein at a time and taking in a lot more at a time is stressful on the kidneys. If your medical team says it's ok for you.. great. Just wanted to share what we were told at last support group.

You're correct, the human body can only digest 20 grams of Protein within an hour - the rest is wasted and does not count against your Protein count.

For Protein Drinks, try Isopure Zero Carb. It's clear like Crystal Light, tastes good on ice (not bad room temp) and is more refreshing than milky type shakes. It can also be used when you make Jello, can be made into Popsicles, etc.

1 scoop will give you 26g, my doc oked it.

Unjury has a chicken broth Soup with 20 or 21 grams of Protein in it. And it's really good!

I'm doing the pre-op diet now and hate the shakes. The reason...... Everything is too sweet! Jello, Popsicles. I have been drinking chicken bullion but it has so much sodium. Any suggestions for some kind of powdered Soups or liquid that we can have without too many cals and sodium?

Wait, are you saying it's ok to have Protein bars during the two week full liquid phase after surgery? I pretty much thought we couldn't have anything that you have to chew.

Funny, i just put this into another response.

I bought a ton of the stuff only to find out that my surgeon doesn't want his patients using them. His orders are no liquids with calories, period. After immediate post-op phase, of course. So, my investment of about a hundred dollars of stuff eventually went into the trash.

Now, as much as I love my surgeon, we came to an understanding. I can consume liquid calories, but I need to take them into account in my overall nutritional plan. I did finally find a shake that I like, I keep it around for times when I am bored with my routine and just want something quick. I also LOVE a bit of milk from time to time and I was unwilling to give that up. So my surgeon said I could have a little, but needed to give up something else.

I also do Protein Bars instead of shakes, they are not liquid calories! rolleyes.gif

I'm sure she meant now she does Protein Bars. I would definitely not do bars during your liquid stage

No, I did not say that at all. They question was if shakes were needed long-term to reach Protein goals. My response was geared toward someone beyond the immediate post-op phase.

But, I'd also note that not all post-op diets are the same. By week two I was back on solid foods and could have eaten a Protein Bar. I did 3 days clears, was doing so well that I got moved to full liquids 4 days early. At my one week post-op appointment, my doctor allowed me to return to solids.

Wait, are you saying it's ok to have Protein bars during the two week full liquid phase after surgery? I pretty much thought we couldn't have anything that you have to chew.

1 scoop will give you 26g, my doc oked it.

Correcting myself!!! The body does not absorb the extra Protein, so 1 scoop is the way to go. The extra is for those doing weight lifting.