Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can you get your metabolism back up?`

I had my metabolism tested the other day. I still have to go in and get the full run-down on the results, but the guy who conducted the test said I'm burning about 1,200 calories/day (resting metabolism). The guy who conducted the test said that's pretty much starvation mode.

I realized when I got the band that this would probably happen. My question is this: How do you get your metabolism back up? I do weight training, but what else besides building muscle will do it? I can't seem to find any real concrete information. All I read is "Spicy food can help," and other fluff.

I've heard that eating Breakfast kick-starts the metabolism (even if you're not hungry when you wake up). Are you combining cardio workouts with your weight lifting? I think getting your heart rate up would help as well.

Are you weight training in such a way as to really put muscle on your body? Like lifting average weights same old same old routine wont continue to net great results for you. Lifting heavy weights to the point of failure is what makes muscles grow - and wont make you huge either being female. Just very toned. Perhaps its time to shake up your routine a bit.

Cardio is important as a mega calorie burner too. Are you doing plenty and are you working hard at it? Experts are really revisiting the theory that you should work at moderate intensity at about 65% of your maximum heart rate and are now advocating high intensity and interval training now. You do burn more of a proportion of fat at the lower intensity but you burn WAY more calories all together (including more fat calories although the proprotion is different) with higher intensity aerobic work. For a good program have a look at www.cardiocoach.com

Also, eating five small meals a day instead of 3 larger ones can help a lot.

Jack, I did a resting metabolic rate test (not sure of the technical name) - the university I work for will do it for $20. I had to fast for 24 hours and then laid down on a mat while they put this plastic hood over my head for about a half hour. I have no idea how it works. The idea, however, is for them to test your resting metabolic rate. I'm sorry I can't tell you more than what I learned immediately after: My Basal Metabolic Rate (resting rate) was about 1,200 calories/day. I'll find out more when I meet with him again next week. I'll keep you posted after that.

Jacqui, I think you may be right about shaking up my routine. I do pretty much the same routine each week: I alternate upper and lower body workouts every other day. At first I was sore every time I worked out and now I hardly ever get sore. Maybe that's what I need to do. I work as hard as I possibly can, but perhaps I need to do something different.

As far as cardio goes, I've heard the same about doing interval training. I do 30 minutes every other day (not on the days of weight training and maybe that's part of the problem) of interval training - and my heart rate is usually around 160-165. I work my butt off! But maybe it's time to go a bit longer or to do something other than the eliptical machine.

Well you sound like you're putting in 110% there, phew, what a schedule. I think it just helps to do lots of different stuff. I try to use a different piece of cardio equipment every time I go to the gym, some I like, some I hate. I loooooove the treadmill, I love to jog but cant do it often or I'll aggravate my ankle. That's my treat I use to lure myself when I cant be bothered going. I like the elliptical, hate the bike and loathe the rower.

At the moment I'm doing 2 Body Pump and 2 Circuit classes a week, so light weights high reps really and I thought in eight weeks or so I might drop the body Pump and start lifting some heavy weights.

Who knows? You'd think you'd be burning more than that on that level of activity wouldnt you?

Try smoking! It actually raises your metabolism. Ok, don't start smoking but it actually does. Also if you do the whole eat every 2-3 hours that keeps your metabolism up. I don't mean full meals, but even little snack packs and even a single reese's cup between meals is supposed to keep your metabolism going all day long as long as you don't go more than 3 hours without eating something.

Everyone has given you really good advice. Weight training is great because only muscle is metabolically active, fat just sits there and does nothing. If the weights aren't working, the next best thing is eating 6 times a day: within an hour of waking, and every 2.5 hrs after that, and not within 2 hours of bedtime. Ex: wake-up at 6, eat by 7, then at 9:30, 12, 2:30, 5, and 7:30PM. It makes your metabolism higher because you are constantly stoking the fire, so to speak. Also, if you are eating 1200 calories a day, at least once a week you need to shake it up a little. Your body becomes really efficient about running on the same caloric level at all times. Eat 1600 calories one day a week, and maybe only eat 1000 calories on another day. The combo will keep your body guessing and prevent it from getting in a rut. Last but not least: fiber! The whole point is to keep everything moving. Every day you should get 20-30g. On that 1600 day, increase your Fiber to 30-40g. If you can't do it with veggies, Benefiber is great if you need to supplement. Just do not take it all at one time...a little bit over the course of the day will keep your metabolism going.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice. I talked with another woman who works in the wellness center where the test was conducted. She says the guy who did the test was full of it when he said that was starvation mode. She says yes, it was 1,200, and yes, it's low for a person of my size, but she also said that your RESTING metabolism only accounts for 60-65% of your daily caloric burn rate. This could mean I'm actually burning more like 1,700 calories/day. She also said many things can affect the accuracy of the test, such as RECENTLY LOSING WEIGHT! So I'm not lost after all. I have been losing, just a bit slower recently.

As far as eating every few hours goes, I thought the band sort of made it so that your body felt like it was constantly eating because it drops slowly into the pouch. My doc said not to eat more than 3 times/day. I must admit that mid-day I have to eat a handful of almonds to stay satisfied, though. I'm going to have to probably follow my doc on this one and try to get my metabolism up by using some of the other wonderful suggestions.

Diet, exercise and weight loss for an extended period, then the body has no choice but to give in. It's always the simple answers. And unfortunately, walking my dogs for 45 minutes several times a week might have some health benefits, but it's not the kind of exercise that will melt fat. You have to work and sweat and breath hard for a good 45 minutes to an hour to see noticeable results.

Any good doctor or nutritionist will laugh at the "starvation mode" nonsense that people cling to as an excuse for not losing weight when they restrict caloric intake. If there was such thing as starvation mode, people wouldn't perish from not eating. There might be a temporary lag in weight loss, but nothing worth being concerned with.