Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks Songbird! I'm really happy I found you guys, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this battle! It's so reassuring to see everyones posts! :)

Nechama, hope you're getting some relief! I've heard of the shoulder pain (I'm preband for another few days' my date is 7/11/11) and would love it if someone knows the explanation and -- more importantly what to do about the shoulder pain.

Despite the fact that I delivered three babies before the epidural could be put in (human cannonballs, we like to say)...I am going crazy just anticipating PAIN. Nechama, or others: do you just have to wait out the shoulder pain?

The itchiness is definitely the incision sites healing, I remember that from when I had my gall bladder removed (the surgeon was kind enough to use my old scars for 3 of the 4 incisions this time around). I am having the worst left shoulder pain. It is unbearable at times and I can't sleep or function sometimes because it just throbs. Anyone else having this problem?

Does a heating pad give you any relief? I'm still using mine quite a bit for incision discomfort (painly the port site). Sorry to hear about the shoulder pain :(

The itchiness is definitely the incision sites healing, I remember that from when I had my gall bladder removed (the surgeon was kind enough to use my old scars for 3 of the 4 incisions this time around). I am having the worst left shoulder pain. It is unbearable at times and I can't sleep or function sometimes because it just throbs. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm gonna try the heating pad now. Geez, don't know if I'm starving or if it gas pain. HELP!

Hi, everyone! I am post-op and doing well! I've been addicted to the "surgery day stories" thread, so I'm going to post my whole story there, but here's the initial version. (I originally said "short version," but then it wasn't. .. . :lol: )

Just as we were leaving the house to drop my 14-month-old off with my mother, the surgery center called and asked if I could be an hour early because the surgeon wanted to start earlier. I totally would have, but I live too far away to make it in time. So I started off the day with a "dammit!" moment. And then I got there at the originally-scheduled 11:30 a.m.

Anyway, everyone at the surgery center was really nice. One of the nurses has a lap-band and was telling me how much she loves it as she was wheeling me in. I'm not sure what meds they gave me for the pre-op anxiety, but it made me babble. I was telling them all how different this was from when I had my emergency c-section for my 3-months premature baby and there were 24 people in the OR. And then it took a long time for the anesthetic to knock me out--the nurse anesthetist kept saying "Take DEEP breaths!."

I woke up to someone telling me to take deep breaths, too, because they were administering a breathing treatment for an asthmatic reaction. I was a little freaked out, but pretty soon I could breathe fairly easily again. I still feel some pressure in my chest, but I think it's the surgery gas.

I was given apple juice almost immediately after I finished the breathing treatment and then as soon as I could walk a little, they took me for a barium swallow. Watching the liquid run down through the band was odd.

I got the nurse to give me a dose of pain meds before I left so I could make it through the (way too bumpy!) hour-long ride home. We stopped at Sonic so my husband could get something to eat and I got a 44-ounce iced tea. I'm still sipping on it. I'm incredibly thirsty-feeling, but I also feel like I can't take another sip. It's a weird combination.

I'm staying on schedule with my pain meds and I'm also using the nausea meds, just in case. I am determined to do this right, and for me, that includes having as little pain as possible. I'm taking walks around the house. When Mom brought the baby back, she (the baby, not Mom!) followed me around crying with her arms up for me to pick her up. It made me sad. :( But now she's asleep (luckily, her daddy puts her down to bed more often than I do, so there was no disruption there) and I'm on the recliner in the spare room with drinks and meds beside me, my laptop on a TV tray in front of me, and streaming Netflix running through my iPad to keep me entertained. My abdomen aches from the gas and the incisions have a sharper pain, but as long as I keep taking my meds, it's bearable.

I keep thinking what an odd thing this is that I've arranged to have done to myself.

But I'm excited about the coming journey!

Oh. And I've started a blog. I'll add it to my signature eventually, but for now, it's www.TexasPrairieHarpy.com. I haven't posted about my lap-band yet--I started with a post about the name--but I will be soon. :D

I had my suregery yesterday, 7/5/11. I felt pretty good yesterday, but today my body is so sore. My neck hurts and my belly hurts. I'm assuming where the port is at. I'm confused about eating. I really don't have an appetite. I tried to eat a little broth and some popsicles. I had a small cup of coffee. I'm not sure what the best diet is for me. I don't feel hungry and I really don't feel full either. I have some weird feelings going on in my stomach. I don't know if it is gas or what. I am finally able to urinate a little better. I haven't had a bowel movement. I've been drinking a lot of Water too. I'm hoping for the best.

Hey, Amy! Don't beat up on yourself--but I suggest that you add some more approved Protein to your diet! I know that my willpower goes straight out the window when I'm not getting enough Protein. It might help you feel a little less like cheating.

(And could you bear to throw the half-piece of cheese away? I don't know if I could in your position, but I know it would be the only thing that would keep me from eating it!)

Cheering you on!!!!!

((((hugs)))))

I cheated.

I'm not supposed to have mushies until Friday. Today I ate a half slice of cheese. Very carefully....slowly....and it was a super thin piece...but dang. WILL POWER, AMY!! WILLPOWER!!!!

I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, but the guilt is haunting me. And how there's still half of a slice left...sitting all lonely in the fridge...

I can make it till Friday......

Does a heating pad give you any relief? I'm still using mine quite a bit for incision discomfort (painly the port site). Sorry to hear about the shoulder pain :(

Heat packs are a LIFESAVER for shoulder pain. Sitting up is too.

I didn't sleep on my first night post op due to it and was Bawling my eyes out due to it last night. I had a long, hot shower and took my melatonin (sleeping) tablets and woke up a million times better!

Aye!! Setback. I've been totally off pain meds for ~ 3 days and had to take Lortab tonight. I noticed that the port side was painful after noonish time today. It wasn't anything I ate....just a strange gurgling feeling. Gas X didn't do anything but my heat pack helped. Tonight I went to the store to buy a Magic Bullet and my stomach started cramping horribly. What the heck?! I came home, chugged the Lortab, popped a gas pill, and life is good again. But wow.....that was some intense pain. Anyone else have this 'sneak up' thing? I've gotten used to feeling pressure and being uncomfortable, but dang. This was pain. Just venting!

Had my surgery yesterday and was released that evening..but the dirve home was horrible..my back was so sore from the 2 1/2 hr drive..i will give more details in the morning..had rough time trying to find confortable position to sleep

Ann

Ugh I'm starving!! lol Ok not really but yeesh. I can't wait for mushies! DH who has been wonderful went to the store to pick up Soup and thought he was being helpful by getting Healthy choice Soups....bleck. They all have no flavor, I'm dying here. I am not a fan of the Protein shakes to begin with, the only way I got through pre-op was because I could chug them at each meal and be alright. Now I have to sip...not going to well. I know it sounds bad but I'm so happy that some of you guys are having trouble staying on liquids too lol. On the upside, my incisions are healing great, itchy of course and I keep picking at the glue stuff but they feel good. The only one I have pain in at all is the port site, that does a weird pulling thing when I bend over to far, hope that goes away.

One week left on liquids....I can do it!!! *crosses fingers*

Looks like we have the same doctor and were banded back to back on friday, mine with him on July 1st was at 10:45...I am also looking forward to eating mushies on Friday...there is a support group meeting on Monday at 6:30 PM, do you plan on attending? I am planning on it since it is only once a month, I think it should be helpful!

Hey there!! That's crazy isn't it? I might have seen you leaving as I was walking back to get gowned. I had my surgery at 2:15...had to be there at 1:15.

I would like to go to the support group on Monday but I'm a single mom and I'm not sure if I will have child care for my kids :( That's a total bummer.

I broke down last night (was really hungry) and opened a can of refried Beans. Added some sour cream to make it more runny and heated it up. It was yummy and I did just fine with it. So I plan on starting mushy foods today.

ummm...what am i doing wrong with my signature?