Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding it difficult getting fluids down

Often times surgeons will do what's called a passive fill. Bands come empty and in a vacuum (it's unsanitary to send them filled and did you know your dr can fill with air instead of saline?).

A passive fill is when the band is in place and the surgeon simply inserts a needle into the port but does not plunge Fluid. They let the band take in what it needs to equalize. Like a fridge if you open it quickly after just closing it. Usually 0.5-2.5 cc is pulled in during this (depending on how tight the band is once installed) and a passive fill rarely causes problems, it actually helps the band settle more easily around the stomach.

In your case it seems the surgeon did an active fill and actually intentionally plunged Fluid in, likely more than 2.5 cc. Probably around 3.5-4 cc. Active fills do cause more pressure and more swelling on already tender tissue.

You may also be very prone to swelling. Drink warm fluids to keep the band loose and don't move ahead with your phases at all. If anything, pull back and double them up (2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies) to ensure your band and stomach can heal nicely together.

Acadia,

I am so glad you told us about this. My surgeon did not put any fluid in but I had 2.2 cc's already in when I went for my first fill. I guess it was a passive fill. This is great information.

When I weighed this morning, I am down 16 lbs. since surgery on Tuesday. Mostly fluids but on the bright side I was able to drink 4 oz. Water so far this morning and keep it down. Feeling pretty weak and tired.

I read the "Depressed" post that Ihateproteinshakes posted. She really made me angry and I wanted to say something mean about her feeling sorry for herself and how good she really has it. So I guess her post put things in perspective for me as I am sure there have been others that have had a much worse experience than I am going through. This has been a real ordeal and it's not over yet. I can't wait until I can just sip Water and hold all of it down without pain.

Will there ever be a time that I can drink fluids again without sipping tiny amounts?

~brad~

Brad,

I have no advice. I just want to say that I hope things improve for you. My heart goes out to you. This will pass and it will get better. Just keep sipping away to keep yourself hydrated the best you can. Maybe some chicken broth might help? I know it was one of the only things that made me feel better the first week after surgery.

Please keep us updated as to how you are doing. (((Hugs)))

Today has been a little more positive. I've managed to sip a half liter of Water down so far. It still feels like I swallowed a golf ball with every sip. But on the bright side, a lot of the stress has subsided due to there being hope that I won't have to make my IV appointment tomorrow (I hope).

It floors me to read some of the post's about what some people are eating just a few day out. Very different post-operation instructions from the ones I was given.

I tried some chicken broth as Jeannette suggested and it just would not go down. But it tasted good for a moment. Jeanette.... I'll let you know when I'm able to get some broth down and BTW, ...the warmth felt nice for a moment.

I'm down 18 lbs since the operation on Tuesday and feeling weak but I'm fighting.

Thanks for all the support!

~brad~

Brad,

I've been reading your posts and thinking about you today. I am soooo sorry for your post op experience. It is NOT suppose to go this way. I promise. I am so worried about your general health. 18 pounds in 4 days is serious electrolyte imbalance. Is your bariatric team taking this seriously and really watching you? I know you don't want to hear the H word ( hospital) but it may be the best place to get you back on track without any long term effects. Best to you and your health. <3

I just got up and I feel very weak and cold. And to answer your question, my doctor called Friday night but have not received any calls since then and I feel very let down by their lack of concern from his team.

No I don't think they are taking this seriously at all! I sort of bet you they are having a better 4th holiday than I am. I am going to see if I can get fluids down any better and make that "H" decision early afternoon. Sort of sucks since I am self pay.

Brad,

I've been reading your posts and thinking about you today. I am soooo sorry for your post op experience. It is NOT suppose to go this way. I promise. I am so worried about your general health. 18 pounds in 4 days is serious electrolyte imbalance. Is your bariatric team taking this seriously and really watching you? I know you don't want to hear the H word ( hospital) but it may be the best place to get you back on track without any long term effects. Best to you and your health. <3

Brad,

I am also self pay so I DO understand! I am under the understanding that insurance would pay for this type of issue, especially if you are admitted on an emergency basis. Just a thought.

Take care. <3

Lisa

smiley-sick032.gif

Brad,

How are you feeling today. Have you talked to the docs office?

smiley-whacky097.gif

This is my best day so far. Have been able to get Water down without pain. I am going to talk to the Dr's office tomorrow. I'm a little dismayed as I thought someone from the Dr office would call and check up knowing that I was having complications. I feel that they have been disingenuous by their actions in telling me that they would be there for me every step of the way.

Thanks for your concern!

Brad,

How are you feeling today. Have you talked to the docs office?

smiley-whacky097.gif