Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starvation Mode

How many calories have you consistently eaten on a daily basis and still lost weight?

I'm a little concerned about myself, as since my fill 10 days ago, I've been eating only 800-1000 calories a day, and 400-600 of those I work off at night on my exercise bike.

Maybe that's too much. I dunno. I've never been satisified consistently on 800-1000 calories before.

What are your experiences with this?

check out this site

www.room42.com

they have a weight loss calculator thingy that tells you just what you need based on hieght age, sex, and current weight. sounds to me like you need to increase your calories by a few hundred. Grab an extra protien shake or two during the day? Good luck. Let us know what they tell you at room 42.

Well...at least the disclaimer at the bottom is accurate. It said to eat LESS than your basal metabolic rate for weight loss, in my case 1800 calories. The bad news is my nutritionist said 1400 was too high when she evaluated my diet yesterday; she wants me down to 1000-1200. As long as I stay in the gym I won't be breaking down muscle for weight loss, so I guess I'll try it.

That calculator does not go below 1200 calories a day. I can't lose on that. I have never experienced this starvation mode people talk about. When I eat very little calories I lose a lot of weight. Especially over long periods of time. Every body is different, you just have to see what works for you. When I am hitting it hard I keep my calories under 800 a day and work off about 270 a day of that and can lose a pound a day that way. Maybe not the healthiest, but when it's weightloss I want and I can stick with it, it works! You have to play with your calories and workouts to find out what is right for you. If I were to eat the 1200 calories a day it says on that web site I would never lose a pound. Sad enough.

Guest FunnyFatGirl

In the past I have dropped to 1000 calorie diets and lost a lot of weight. But I worked out a lot and found I was very light headed at the end. Oh, and I was FAMISHED all day long. I was doing 6 small meals, no carbs or ANYTHING with sugar after 2. This from a girl who has 1 large meal a day eating habbits! My metabolism didn't know what to do! It was a fantastic plan, but with my lifestyle it was very hard to follow. I do a lot of business lunches and dinners... plus I found it very difficult to eat after noon because I got so busy at work.

I see the Dr. for the first time next week for prelim testing for a hopeful operation later this spring. I feel really out of control with my weight gain right now and need to work on getting control between now and then. Would any of you reccommend that I go on a liquid diet before surgery?