Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lose TOO MUCH weight... is this possible?!

How often do you guys weigh in? I had lost 10lbs to include the pre-op diet two weeks and then I weighed myself and have gained 2 lbs since yesterday. I am only 4 days post op so I am not eating anything but liquids but it makes me nervous to gain at this point. Is there typically a lot of fluctuation?

I was up 5 lbs the morning after surgery! it took 3 dayls to get back to the morning op weight! I'm now down 6 lbs post op. I was banded last Monday. My doc says 3 lbs is fluctuation. 4 lbs is weight. Except right after surgery.

smiley-eatdrink054.gif

that is AWESOME "CheckYes" great job,just stay strong and positive attitude will knock that 42lbs and more right off!!!

Hi, Cliff,

I just noticed your sub-notes of all your dates and weights, and most importantly, your comment at the end, "this is going to be so hard!" So how has it been in retrospect? You might want to update your notes! Again, super congrats!

How often do you guys weigh in? I had lost 10lbs to include the pre-op diet two weeks and then I weighed myself and have gained 2 lbs since yesterday. I am only 4 days post op so I am not eating anything but liquids but it makes me nervous to gain at this point. Is there typically a lot of fluctuation?

I weigh every day. It keeps me focused. and acts as a gentle daily reminder to file in the back of my head for the rest of the day. I found in past dieting that when I weighed daily, I did better....no kidding myself that having that piece of cake won't make that much difference....and most of the time, it is a positive reinforcer. The thing is, occasional weight gain is inevitable-- Water retention, body chemistry changes, whatever. I have had times when I am eating and taking in liquids perfectly (I keep daily track of all that), and I stay the same weight for days--then all of a sudden, I lose 2 lbs overnight! So please don't get discouraged about occasional weight gain...it's just that if it's on-going, that may take some re-evaluating.

Please don't worry about the weight gain right after surgery. My doc said almost everyone does. Your body went through so much, including lots of gas, Water retention, etc. You'll feel so much better about everything in a week or two. AND, if you are taking any pain meds, that means constipation!

Best of luck to you! I think you will do great!

Don't be discouraged to gain right after surgery... Most of it is your IV Fluid... I know speaking for myself, I had many bags when I was in the hospital and definitely wasn't peeing it all out when I was there!

I weigh myself every day, too. I find that it keeps me in check as well. It's a big motivation for me.

I've also found that in the past month, I think my body has really adjusted it's metabolism because even though I feel like I'm eating "more" than I was a month ago, I'm not gaining, and still losing 3-5 lbs per week. It's really all about the exercise along with healthy choices in your diet.

Good luck to everyone out there!!!

~Becky

Surgery: 4/14/11

Starting Weight: 293

Current Weight: 238

As I've mentioned in other posts I am thinking that I may not need a fill this first time either. I've lost 34 pounds since the surgery on the 8th of June, and at first I was scared; but I realize that I exercise like a fiend, and that's probably a large part of what's getting me there; plus I started with 2cc's in the band, which provides some restriction; so I'm not terribly worried at this point.

My exercise routine consists of running 2.5 miles each morning, 1.5 hours of yoga every day (although depending on my work schedule that's a little less some days), and some amount of weight lifting 3 days a week in the evenings after work. I also work outside in my yard a lot, and I love to dance. I'm going to start taking cardio belly dance classes, and I'm thrilled.

Anyhoo, my point is, I don't feel that the band is what's making me lose all the weight, I think I'm finding balance with it and working with it, but most of it is coming from me; and that's awesome. I feel like this band is the best decision I ever made.

And by the way, congratulations on your weightloss!! I think you're doing amazing, and it's inspiring! Don't be scared, if you're doing the right stuff your body is just doing what it needs to do. I think the best advice I can give is, listen to your body, be aware of what it needs, and go with it; as well as of course listening to the best advice of your surgeon, and follow the rules.

So far, that's what's working for me.

As I've mentioned in other posts I am thinking that I may not need a fill this first time either. I've lost 34 pounds since the surgery on the 8th of June, and at first I was scared; but I realize that I exercise like a fiend, and that's probably a large part of what's getting me there; plus I started with 2cc's in the band, which provides some restriction; so I'm not terribly worried at this point.

My exercise routine consists of running 2.5 miles each morning, 1.5 hours of yoga every day (although depending on my work schedule that's a little less some days), and some amount of weight lifting 3 days a week in the evenings after work. I also work outside in my yard a lot, and I love to dance. I'm going to start taking cardio belly dance classes, and I'm thrilled.

Anyhoo, my point is, I don't feel that the band is what's making me lose all the weight, I think I'm finding balance with it and working with it, but most of it is coming from me; and that's awesome. I feel like this band is the best decision I ever made.

And by the way, congratulations on your weightloss!! I think you're doing amazing, and it's inspiring! Don't be scared, if you're doing the right stuff your body is just doing what it needs to do. I think the best advice I can give is, listen to your body, be aware of what it needs, and go with it; as well as of course listening to the best advice of your surgeon, and follow the rules.

So far, that's what's working for me.

OMG. It makes me tired just reading all that you do! :-) I'm so jealous! Were you always this active? I just cannot get motivated to do any exercise, except lots of walking when I shop!

OMG. It makes me tired just reading all that you do! :-) I'm so jealous! Were you always this active? I just cannot get motivated to do any exercise, except lots of walking when I shop!

So my whole story was that yes, when I was a teenager I was EXTREMELY active. I used to run five miles a day and bicycle 15 miles three times a week, plus take dance classes, and lift weights. I wanted to be a dancer really badly, and I loved working out and exercising.

Then, I hurt my back. :( My whole world changed forever, plus I got diagnosed with PCOS and hypothyroidism and the weight piled on. I tried to be as active as I could, but I was in so much pain that at first I could barely walk to the bathroom and back. One morning I had to crawl on my stomach to get to the toilet because I couldn't stand, and eventually had to call the ambulance to get me because I was stuck in the bathroom. At the time I weighed probably 150 pounds more than I do now. I was 19. That was the low point in my life.

Since then, I've been as active as I could and have built up more and more since then, yes, so before surgery I was exercising a good amount anyway. I was walking and doing some yoga; but at this point it's become a cycle in a good way. The more weight I lose, the more I can exercise, and the more I exercise, the more weight I lose. :D

Hi, Cliff,

I just noticed your sub-notes of all your dates and weights, and most importantly, your comment at the end, "this is going to be so hard!" So how has it been in retrospect? You might want to update your notes! Again, super congrats!

like i said some days are harder then others.. im a long haul trucker, so it gets harder when im out on the road and all you see is fast foods.. there not many places to stop and get a good meal these days, all ways stopping at Walmart or sam's to get a rotisserie chicken or some fruit...even though i lost all this weight fast, everyday is a struggle,, so i will say this is going to be hard!!! i mostly did it with No exercise at all, by the time i stop all i want to do is sleep for a few hour and then right back behind the wheel and off i go again!!! thanks cliff.....

like i said some days are harder then others.. im a long haul trucker, so it gets harder when im out on the road and all you see is fast foods.. there not many places to stop and get a good meal these days, all ways stopping at Walmart or sam's to get a rotisserie chicken or some fruit...even though i lost all this weight fast, everyday is a struggle,, so i will say this is going to be hard!!! i mostly did it with No exercise at all, by the time i stop all i want to do is sleep for a few hour and then right back behind the wheel and off i go again!!! thanks cliff.....

Cudos for you doing this with all that road travel! I know what you mean about all the fast food being overwhelming on the road. What a good idea you have of stopping at a local market instead! At least they have healthy choices!

One great fast food I discovered is Carl's Jr. turkey burger in a lettuce wrap. I get it with cheese and all the Condiments. It's just like eating a cheeseburger hamburger--delicious! Rubios also has a healthy choice menu that has grilled fish tacos (the one I went to the fish was salmon!) and they sometimes also have shrimp tacos. I just eat the fish (it's a good 4 oz!), but if I want to "spend" the calories, I sometimes have the corn tortilla shell, too.

Continued good luck to you. You are doing so amazing!