Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want this so baaad NEED HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

I am very happy to find this forum. I have a appt. on 2/11 & I'm very nervous. I have been hearing horror stories about lap band. One of my close friends went to 6 different symposiums and they all say the same bad things about the band. She ended up having Gastric Bypass RNY. She is very happy with the results. Now she is telling me that in the beginning she was stuck on having lapband no matter what, but going to the meetings made her think otherwise. The FDA website tells you that there is 90% complications with the lapband, especially with leakage, slipping and extreme nausea and vomiting and worst...erosion.

I am 130 pounds overweight, and I am very goal oriented to lose the weight. I have done every diet, at one point I lost 120 pounds, and gained it all and then some. I think this will be great for me but I am very scared of all the complications.

I've had gall bladder surgery as well, and have a lot of problems with my stomach as a result of my surgery, I don't know if they will even do the lap band. Does anyone have info in regards to this. What scares me as well is the fact that everytime that I've had surgery, due to the anesthesia, I vomit very badly. Wouldn't vomiting be bad after a lap band procedure?

With some research I found a Dr. by the name of Dr. Quilice in Burbank CA. I wanted to know if there was any other experienced Dr. in LA that you guys would recommend? Last question, I experience stomach pain and get really weak, and light headed if I don't eat on time or when I start a diet, did any of you experience this before lap band and how are you now?

Thanks and sorry about my long story!!!!!

ROziroze

:) :confused: :confused:

There is a Dr. in Van Nuys..I beleive. His name is Billy Helmuth, you can send Penni60 a PM, she is a very happy Dr. Billy patient.

I eroded but I lost more then 60% of my excess weight. I loved my band and would not change a thing other then still having it, but it did its job.. I'm happy and healthy

The FDA website tells you that there is 90% complications with the lapband, especially with leakage, slipping and extreme nausea and vomiting and worst...erosion.

I'm sorry, this is just absurd. The FDA calls absolutely anything a complication, and MOST of them are just normal effects. Vomiting? I'm sure they're including the ubiquitous PB. Leakage? What does that mean? If they mean leakage of Fluid out of the band that's not a "complication," that's just a technical issue that needs to be addressed. And as far as leakage of stomach contents, I've NEVER heard of that happening.

Slippage is a potential complication, but even the MOST generous estimates place that at about 5-9%. Erosion estimates have always been 1-3%. And if that's the WORST that can happen, SIGN ME UP!! All of the erosion cases I've ever encountered are easily and quickly fixed with another surgery. And the person walks away and will be as good as new. Can that be said about any of the major potential complications of the RNY? Of course not, because the very intention of that surgery is to permanently change the way our bodies work, and they will--by definition--never be the same.

Only your doctor can tell you if YOU are a good candidate for banding or RNY. But if you've had stomach probolms in the past, it would seem logical to try the gentlest, least invasive procedure first. As far as vomiting post-anaesthesia, that is a common problem and can be dealt with. Tell them you're prone to it and they'll give you medication to prevent it.

Now, why do you get stomach pain and get weak and light-headed if you don't eat on time? Could be a blood-sugar issue, and you will want to get that under control. The pre-op testing will find that and any other issues you may have, so you'll have more answers as time goes on.

You're right not to jump into anything, but you can't compare yourself to anyone else. Talk to the doctors, being brutally honest about your health and your habits. Consider how you want to live the rest of your life, and look at the various changes you'll have to live with. Then make a decision.

Good luck, and feel free to ask anything you want. We're here to help!

Be sure to do your research from reliable sources! You will hear HORROR stories about any surgery, just ask enough folks. Yes, there are complications with the lapband. Yes, you will get vomiting if you overeat or eat too fast...that is behavior modification and most likely you will do anything to not do that again. Most bandsters have this happen at least once!!! So 90% complications...Look for the serious complications-slippage and erosion. Make sure you can follow up after surgery. Surgery is one part, the other part is maintaining your fills and eating properly.

Shawn

No procedure is perfect for everyone, but the statistics you quoted were absurd, even if they did come from the FDA website. If it's that awful, why would they have approved it? I agree with what Aledandra said they must be counting every little hiccup and burp as a complication! I'm only a few days out from surgery, but I spent a lot of time researching various places and on this forum, and when 90% of the people responding to a surbeysay they'd have it done again, that gives me a lot of confidence.

Good luck in making your decision, whether you decide to go with the band or another procedure. Only you can assess the information and decide what's best for you. Just remember that the people here are VERY honest about their experiences both g ood and bad.

Emily

With some research I found a Dr. by the name of Dr. Quilice in Burbank CA. I wanted to know if there was any other experienced Dr. in LA that you guys would recommend?

What is your time frame? I'm going to be banded by Dr. Khalili at Cedars-Sinai, but I'm still working my way through all the appointments I have to go through. I'm hoping for a date in the next 30 days or so. If you're going to be banded after me, I can let you know how it goes at Cedars.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your guidance and help. I cannot get any other advice from people who did not go through it. I think the reason why I get lightheaded and weak, feeling faint, is due to my anemia, I have a low blood level. Not dangerously low, but it has always been a few points lower than normal, when I start dieting, this gets worse, but if I eat then it gets fixed. No blood sugar problems.

My appointment is with Dr. Quilici on Feb 12. He also does surgery at Cedars Sinai and at Providence St. Joseph in Burbank. They might even work together!

As far as the RNY I would never do that. First because it is so invasive, second because they change your anatomy....permanently. There is malabsorption, and in the future those patients have osteoperosis,because of no Calcium, they have chronic diarhea, and a less life expectancy. I want to be healthy and live. Not go through life having to take massive amounts of Vitamins, shots, and all that stuff all my life.

When you go to your appointment, could you let me know how it goes, I am really chicken :faint: when it comes to Dr.'s and surgery, which I shouldn't be having surgeries since I was 17. Sad Huh?!?:phanvan

Rozirose: I sent you a Pager message about Dr. Helmuth Billy. (Hey Michelle his first name is Helmuth and last name is Billy.) LOL!!!

I went to Cedar's for my initial consult when I was doing research and was NOT impressed. The doctor that I talked with did not know alot of info related to the band and did not know what some of my medications were for. That scared me. Cedar's might be a really great hospital but the doc turned me off to having it done there. I am sorry but I can't remember his name now.

Rozirose: I sent you a Pager message about Dr. Helmuth Billy. (Hey Michelle his first name is Helmuth and last name is Billy.) LOL!!!

I went to Cedar's for my initial consult when I was doing research and was NOT impressed. The doctor that I talked with did not know alot of info related to the band and did not know what some of my medications were for. That scared me. Cedar's might be a really great hospital but the doc turned me off to having it done there. I am sorry but I can't remember his name now.

thats really scary. I mean you're going to trust that person with your life...be careful!!! Can anyone show me how to check my pager or personal messages, as I click on it all I get is a blank screen and a message saying that it was downloaded...:)

What is your time frame? I'm going to be banded by Dr. Khalili at Cedars-Sinai, but I'm still working my way through all the appointments I have to go through. I'm hoping for a date in the next 30 days or so. If you're going to be banded after me, I can let you know how it goes at Cedars.

I have heard that Cedars is a good hospital and a very expensive one. The movie stars there have thier own tower. MUST BE NICE

I have heard good reviews on Dr. Quilici in Burbank. I wish you good luck. You should ask your Dr. if he knows Quilici. They probably work together!!!!

:)

If you drink alot of liquids or snack on junk more than have regualar meals.. I really dont think the band is right for people who feel they cannot change or have failed to change these problems in the past.

I am talking serious issues with drinking and junk snacking..