Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sadly another Lopez erosion...

can any one of you recommend a good Dr. in California.

Where in CA? I have great confidence in my dr., although I haven't been banded yet. I've read that some ppl. don't like him but as far as I can see it's because he won't do fills for ppl. who have had surgery in Mexico. HTH!

Teresa, I was afraid it was you, too! Please send your friend our deepent sympathies and let her know we're pulling for her to have a quick, complete recovery and no regrets.

How are YOU doing??

Guest Nyl

If a procedure goes bad, that was not covered by insurance in the first place, does insurance cover the cost of the repairs? I will be a self payor and need to know what could lie ahead. Thanks

I had a port revision and also band removal due to erosion and my insurance covered both procedures. It is all about how the doctor codes for the surgeries.

If a procedure goes bad, that was not covered by insurance in the first place, does insurance cover the cost of the repairs? I will be a self payor and need to know what could lie ahead. Thanks

Guest Nyl

I read that the bands should not be stitched to stomach or erosion will occur and Dr. Ortiz web site reads that is the procedure they use. Does anyone know if that the same technique used by Lopez?

As far as I know Lopez does use a stitch technique, he was the surgeon that placed my band. But then again I thought all surgeons used the stitch technique to prevent slippage. I think it depends on where the stitch is placed whether it MIGHT cause erosion later.

I read that the bands should not be stitched to stomach or erosion will occur and Dr. Ortiz web site reads that is the procedure they use. Does anyone know if that the same technique used by Lopez?

My doctor went over the procedure with me on a power point presentation and he showed me that a portion of the stomach is pulled up over the band on the front and stitched to hold it in place. I had heard that some doctors stitch the backside as well. When I asked him about it he said that you have enough fat on the backside of your stomach to help keep the band in place and it's not necessary to stitch there. But he added it is a surgeons preference.

I feel bad for all the eroded folks here that went to Mexico to have it done.....best wishes to everyone.

You can do a search for Erosion and lots of threads will pop up and give you all kinds of info.

Erosion=the band erodes into the stomach. Now the band does not erode the stomach wall is the thing that erodes. My band was about 50% eroded into my stomach.

Symptoms = I never had a one. I just knew somethng wasn't right. Some bandsters lose restriction others like me didn't lose restriction at all.

what is erosion and how do you know if you have a problem

How sad! Teresa I thought it was you when I saw the post! I'm certainly glad it wasn't! We've missed you around here girl, you need to come and post with us again!:) :girl_hug: :girl_hug:

ME TOOO! I am so glad its not you BUT SO SAD that there is another case. I feel so damn strong that NO ONE SHOULD EVER EVER GO TO Mexico. That is my own personal feelings & I can say it loud & Strong!!

Poor gal - please tell her there are many non banded people on LBT these days & I must say many are doing better w/their weight loss than the banded ones. SO please have her come & post soon so we can all support her journey.

By the way Betty & Teresa your avatars look GREAT!

There have been so many erosions latly, that I got nervous and spoke to my doc. we did an endoscopy 2 days later and things are fine, part of our dr.'s job is to make us feel confident and should not bat an eye if we want an endo. my insurance will pay as we filed as an ulcer check as well. I feel awful for you gals that had removal, but appreciater your postings to keep us all coutious and aware, THANKS.

Dr. Billy is a hardass Diet Nazi and the only surgeon I'd ever recommend. Somehow that prick got my butt back to the gym, and I've actually lost a few pounds since he removed my band and gave me his Nazi diet regimen. I have the utmost respect for him, and he'd laugh that I called him a prick! All in love, baby. My husband hates doctors, but he bows down to Dr. Billy and says (in awe) that Billy is the only man that ever shut me up.

My friend got out of the hospital after 4 days and is still recovering. No solids for 14 days and packing of her port wound. Her band was 60% eroded and the worst case that surgeon had seen. It sounded like he has done several removals and hers took just over 2 hours she thought. Evidently there was a stitch left behind from the initial placement surgery that served no purpose. If it was a stitch that was supposed to help hold the band in place to keep it from slipping it wasn't placed in a useful spot and evidently there was some evidence that the surgeon worked on other lower parts of her stomach. I don't remember all the details but it could have been some sort of repair or ??? My friend was never told of any other work being done when she had the band placed and is mystified. Anyway hope she gets on here and fills in any detail I left out. Teresa