Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Support Group Meeting in Burlington County

Hello Out there!

I got the lap band on 6/1 and i need to find a support group meeting....I was banded at pennsylvania hospital, and they have the support group meetings only the last Tuesday of every month and I would have to travel back into Philly to get there and is is really inconvient for me...does anyone know where there is a support group meeting in the Burlington County New Jersey area? Please help the blogs and chats are good but i think i need a little more that that for support!

Thanks,

Sue

Hello-

I haven't been banded yet, just starting the journey. There is a support group that meets at the Center for Emotional Wellness in Cherry Hill. Not sure of the schedule, haven't had my first meeting there yet.... but you can call and find out what the deal is with it! I'm banding with Dr. Goldstein in Voorhees, once I get done all this pre-op check list craziness!

Where are you in Burlington County... If you are more towards Bordentown like closer to Mercer County then there are supporty group meetings twice a month at the RWJ gym in Hamilton and i also believe Princeton Hospital holds a support group once a month as well

Hi, I am from Burlington county. I live in browns mills. I have been wondering about the same thing. I Just went to my first one at Virtua hospital. That's where I Will be having my surgery. Like You said its only once a month. I Will let you know if I find anything out!

@Kittylove - Since I commented above, I have changed my mind and decided to get a sleeve, not a lap band - but my doc is Dr. Wasser too! I haven't been to any of the meetings though as they're on Mondays and I have orchestra practice each monday.

Just wanted to say hi :)

Hi Abbie, what made you decide to do the sleeve? It's so confusing with all the different ones, LOL I think with my insurance my only option is The band. Which is fine with me. Where do you live? I live in browns mills.

I'm in Medford. Not too far!

Though with the band I loved that I wasn't permanently altering my anatomy, I decided with the fills and all - and a possibility of it slipping, or something getting stuck, idk.... it seems like I'd have to be more attached to my doctor forever, and I wasn't keen on the idea of having that virtual "umbilical cord" to the doctor for the rest of my life. The sleeve seems more drastic for sure, but, it seems to be a one time decision and then you're done. Plus when I researched the sleeve forums (there's a sister forum for the sleeve to this one - verticalsleevetalk.com ) there is a whole board of band to sleeve revisions. That kinda scared me :(

It's been a long road though, and there was other emotional factors for me to consider. I have recently lost a child to miscarriage and I desperately want another, but I decided I won't until I've gotten healthier. I don't want to take a chance that the band doesn't work for me, so I'm going straight to the sleeve.

The band does seem great though, it's just a decision everyone has to make on their own!

I am so sorry to hear you lost a child. I also had a miscarriage in march. I too want to be healthy before I think of getting pregnant again. I have a 2.5 yr old now. Once you reach your target weight do you still have to go back for fills? My insurance only covers the band I believe.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well. That was one of the hardest things I've ever been through, though, it gave me the courage to finally go on and get the surgery. Thought they didn't tell me it was my weight that caused it, that is my personal blame.

Once you get the right fill, from what I know, you're set. My concern was if I got pregnant and I'm puking a ton, having the band slip, and even if it didn't - letting the band out for pregnancy adn then filling it back up after, I'm not big on all those needles!

Dr. Wasser is the surgeon I came to after I decided against the band. I know he does bands too, I just hadn't found him before. The other doc I was going to only did bands, so I needed a new one for the sleeve. Dr. Wasser told me that in Europe they're taking out more bands then they're putting in. I just don't want a risk of something not working for me! And I want one surgery and then that's it :)

But, I did do a lot of research on the band, it seems like a wonderful tool it's just not for me!