Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to eat at a baseball game/work function?

I'm getting banded June 29. I will not yet be eating solids on July 13 - the day I'm going to be in a team meeting all morning, and at a baseball game all afternoon/into dinner. I was thinking I could do a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch - but any suggestions for during the game? Maybe I won't be hungry at all (here's to hoping) - but if Bandster Hell is setting in at that point, I'd like some ideas for a snack I could smuggle in. Although I'm pretty sure sugar-free pudding wouldn't travel well in a ziploc. laugh.gif

I'm getting banded June 29. I will not yet be eating solids on July 13 - the day I'm going to be in a team meeting all morning, and at a baseball game all afternoon/into dinner. I was thinking I could do a Protein shake for breakfast and lunch - but any suggestions for during the game? Maybe I won't be hungry at all (here's to hoping) - but if Bandster Hell is setting in at that point, I'd like some ideas for a snack I could smuggle in. Although I'm pretty sure sugar-free pudding wouldn't travel well in a ziploc. laugh.gif

Depending on how fancy you want to get, maybe take a powdered Protein Shake with you, get a carton of skim milk or botted Water (depending on what works), and mix your own? Push comes to shove, maybe take a ready-to-drink Protein shake? Muscle Milk makes reasonable ready-to-drink Protein shakes in various flavors, and they'll fit in your purse or coat pocket. Or using your sugar free pudding idea, maybe take an instant version of the mix, get a carton of skim milk, combine, and have at it? May not be too hard, and as you say, you may not be all that hungry yet.

And depending on the amount of time between your team meeting and your ball game, you may have enough time to eat something. You'll be two weeks post-op at that point, so if you do eat something soft or a slider food, I wouldn't think you'd be damaging yourself. You may want to run it past your surgeon and ask for advice on that score. In my case, they wanted me to be on liquids only for three weeks after my surgery, but the Christmas holidays got in the way (the medical staff was all out on vacation that week) - so they advanced me to "liquids and mushies" in the third week. My choice, but I was allowed to have both, then step forward to soft solids in the next week. So they really blurred the lines they'd drawn for me.

Good luck!

Dave

Thank you guys for the suggestions! It will be hard to watch my entire team eat beer & hot dogs at the game, but I know this is WAY worth it in the long run. I think I might just do as you suggest - and bring some Protein powder in and mix it w/ bottled Water. We'll be outside, on the field in bleachers - it's minor league ball - so if the powder spills or it gets a little messy I'll be fine.

I was mildly concerned that my coworkers would ask why I wasn't drinking/eating - but a few know I'm getting banded, so it's not a huge secret. I just didn't want it to get awkward.

I may just drink a shake before I leave for the game, then just have Water at the game to keep me full. The Crystal Lite Protein Drink is a good idea too - maybe just enough to tide me over and get me home.

Thanks again!

Thank you guys for the suggestions! It will be hard to watch my entire team eat beer & hot dogs at the game, but I know this is WAY worth it in the long run. I think I might just do as you suggest - and bring some Protein powder in and mix it w/ bottled Water. We'll be outside, on the field in bleachers - it's minor league ball - so if the powder spills or it gets a little messy I'll be fine.

I was mildly concerned that my coworkers would ask why I wasn't drinking/eating - but a few know I'm getting banded, so it's not a huge secret. I just didn't want it to get awkward.

I may just drink a shake before I leave for the game, then just have Water at the game to keep me full. The Crystal Lite Protein Drink is a good idea too - maybe just enough to tide me over and get me home.

Thanks again!

Or add single-serving Crystal Light to a bottle of water at the game. I've found if people see you drinking a colored liquid it means more to them than if you're drinking just clear water. And if you're drinking a colored liquid, they aren't likely to notice you're not eating. People are funny about sharing their eating habits with others. :)

Dave