Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you take vitamins after getting banded

I'm new to the subject, so sorry if this has been asked before. But I take a lot of supplements (probably 2 dozen pills a day) including about 8 tablets a day of fish oil, which are pretty large tablets.

Can a person continue to take medications, supplements and Vitamins after being banded or is there a risk they can get lodged?

I take Vitamins & supplements every day and don't have a problem. I do take the morning doses with a cup of coffee, the warm drink loosens the band just enough that they don't give me problems. Afternoon and evening doses I usually take with Water, but if I'm feeling tight.. I take them with hot tea or hot Water & lemon.

Some people do have issues and there are chewable or liquid versions of most things. At the beginning, I had trouble getting Calcium tablets down, I tried cutting them and putting in a spoonful of applesauce or yogurt.. even doing that they still hurt going down. I switched to chewables and no more pain. I'm back to whole tablets now, the Citracal Petites and it's clones work ok.

You'll have to talk this over with your surgeon and see what they suggest.

Some people can swallow them and some people can't. I went out and got chewable versions of as many of my Vitamins as I could (multi, Calcium, B12, and fiber) and the only thing I have left is Vitamin D which I get in a small gel cap, and my glucosamine, which is a massive horse pill and worries me every time I get a fill laugh.gif

I agree that you should talk to your doctor. I've heard horror stories about people's pills getting stuck in their stoma and causing big damage by eating away at the stomach as they sit there.

No problems here. I take pills of all sizes and have had no problems. Unless your band is extremely tight, a pill shouldn't be a huge worry. Just be sure to take them on a full stomach and drink a lot of Water after.