Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How has your health improved due to the surgery

I was wondering if any others with diabetes have had significant results from banding. I had decided on banding and my surgery is scheduled soon. At my last meeting with my surgeon, he still suggests changing to GB. The higher risks and more drastic changes kept me away from that route, but pushes that for diabetes it is more successful and it really is what has brought me to having surgery done. So, wondering if anyone other diabetics have banded and their experience with it. As some background, I have been on medication for some time now and taking a good amount of insulin for the past 2 years of it. Thanks.

I can tell you that before my surgery on May 13th my blood sugars were in the 230-340 range. 6 weeks later and 21 lbs lighter I am now in the 90-120 range and have never hit past 140. I see my endocrinologist next month and hope to take myself off a few meds. I got the lap band mainly for my diabetes and ithas helped tremendously.

The asthma symptoms I used to have are completely gone. My joint pain has decreased to almost nothing. I had 3 blood clots go to my lungs 1 week after a surgery 19 months ago. When the 3rd one moved to my lung, I almost died right in front of my husband. Only my bariatric surgeon had the guts to tell me that one of the major causes of blood clots is obesity. I spent a week in the hospital and nobody ever said that! Anyway, I feel like losing weight and exercising (plus I stopped taking birth control pills) has really reduced my chance of more clots.

I was wondering if any others with diabetes have had significant results from banding. I had decided on banding and my surgery is scheduled soon. At my last meeting with my surgeon, he still suggests changing to GB. The higher risks and more drastic changes kept me away from that route, but pushes that for diabetes it is more successful and it really is what has brought me to having surgery done. So, wondering if anyone other diabetics have banded and their experience with it. As some background, I have been on medication for some time now and taking a good amount of insulin for the past 2 years of it. Thanks.

I thought they were fairly comparable. Lap band is supposedly 73% remission of type II diabetes.

http://www.falsecreeklapband.com/about/lap-band-improves-diabetes/

Bypass is closer to 80-90% remission. Then again this study shows a bit of difference.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Diabetes/24997

I am off blood pressure meds and no longer borderline diabetic. Plus, my energy level is through the roof! I can't imagine how I will feel after 75+ more pounds are lost!

Thanks for the info. It's not helping that I'm reevaluating just about 2 weeks before the scheduled surgery. I did talk to 2 people that had sleeve surgery that have had significant weight loss and remission of diabetic problems. I've known them for many years until they moved away and they had both fought with various diets for a long long time. Sleeve seems to be the inbetween. Not as many risks, but still more restrictive than a band. I'll have to try to talk again with my surgeon on it this week.

Thanks for the info. It's not helping that I'm reevaluating just about 2 weeks before the scheduled surgery. I did talk to 2 people that had sleeve surgery that have had significant weight loss and remission of diabetic problems. I've known them for many years until they moved away and they had both fought with various diets for a long long time. Sleeve seems to be the inbetween. Not as many risks, but still more restrictive than a band. I'll have to try to talk again with my surgeon on it this week.

Something you might consider is called gastric plication. It is pretty much the same thing as a gastric sleeve but it is reversible and they do not remove part of your stomach, just sew it smaller.

http://www.arabia.msn.com/lifestyle/healthandfitness/2010/december/gastricimbrications.aspx

For me the biggest issue for bariatric surgery is it has to be affordable (I will probably self pay), reversible, let me continue to take my medications and Vitamin supplements and be relatively safe. Right now there are only 2 options I know of, plication and lap band. Something called an endoluminal sleeve (by endobarrier) is being used in clinical trials, it blocks off the first couple feet of your intestine with a plastic tube (that is where most calories are absorbed) and it works pretty well. So that may work too.