Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The carbonated drink myth

Hi Cindy, this is obviously something you feel strongly about as you've posted three comments so far and I respect all viewpoints from everyone who has commented. Far be it from me to force my opinion on others. I don't get why some people feel the need to do that.

Personally, I believe noone is omnipotent, not even our surgeons, and an intelligent individual can work out some of the smaller details themselves over time.

rolleyes.gif

What it all boils down to is that every single one of us needs to follow our doctors instructions TO THE LETTER! While every doctor has his own ideas about the process, the bottom line is we have entrusted him with our health and futures and paid him an absurd amount of money in the process. If you can't trust his expertise either you have gone to the wrong doctor or you aren't really ready for the journey.

Before banding, I was a diet coke addict and when I stopped drinking it cold turkey during my pre-op diet I thought the caffeine withdrawals would be the end of me. I have been a good girl and followed my Dr's no carbonation rule but about a month ago I took my son to McDonalds to get him something to eat and I took a sip of his diet coke. It tasted NASTY!!! I couldn't believe I had been so hooked on it!! Needless to say, I no longer crave it at all.

First, thanks Sky Lily for bringing up this topic. I do enjoy new topics and discussions. My doctor doesn't like carbonation either and neither did my trainer (when I was smart enough to have one). My trainer said diet drinks were poison to the body's organs. I don't know about the pouch-stretching theory though. I stretched my pouch within 4 months of having the band, but it was from eating too many carbs, not carbonation. (Carbonation bubbled up in me before I had the band and it continues to do so). My stretched pouch was more because my fills have not made me feel any restriction whatsoever, and even after 8 fills and more than one leak), I still feel no restriction. I don't see how sparkling Water and limited amounts of other carbonated drinks can be all that detrimental; we bandsters have enough restrictions as it is. I might add, however, that Diet Coke is used in emergencies to remove corrosion from batteries when you're stranded on the highway...that in itself should deter drinking them in excess.

Thanks,

Grandy

The reason diet drinks and other diet products are so bad is not because of the carbonation it is because of the artificial sweeteners and other chemicals. At least sugar is a natural product although we all know it is bad in excess(as is anything). Strangely no Dr's have recommended avoiding diet products. Most US bandsters seem to drink Crystal Light and that also has artificial sweeteners in. So in effect the only difference between that and diet coke, diet fanta etc is the lack of bubbles.

There are lots of other products that we routinely eat/drink that will strip rust or dissolve a tooth. e.g Vinegar,bicarb, orange juice....................

Makes it really hard to figure out what is good and what is bad doesn't it?

Some good ponderings there elcee biggrin.gif

You're right, it does make it hard to figure out what's what... that's why at the end of the day it all gets back to common sense, being educated about our choices and figuring out what works best for us as individuals.

The reason diet drinks and other diet products are so bad is not because of the carbonation it is because of the artificial sweeteners and other chemicals. At least sugar is a natural product although we all know it is bad in excess(as is anything). Strangely no Dr's have recommended avoiding diet products. Most US bandsters seem to drink Crystal Light and that also has artificial sweeteners in. So in effect the only difference between that and diet coke, diet fanta etc is the lack of bubbles.

There are lots of other products that we routinely eat/drink that will strip rust or dissolve a tooth. e.g Vinegar,bicarb, orange juice....................

Makes it really hard to figure out what is good and what is bad doesn't it?

Thanks Grandy smile.gif

Maybe I should put a bottle of diet coke in my boot with the spare tyre in case of highway emergencies laugh.gif

First, thanks Sky Lily for bringing up this topic. I do enjoy new topics and discussions. My doctor doesn't like carbonation either and neither did my trainer (when I was smart enough to have one). My trainer said diet drinks were poison to the body's organs. I don't know about the pouch-stretching theory though. I stretched my pouch within 4 months of having the band, but it was from eating too many carbs, not carbonation. (Carbonation bubbled up in me before I had the band and it continues to do so). My stretched pouch was more because my fills have not made me feel any restriction whatsoever, and even after 8 fills and more than one leak), I still feel no restriction. I don't see how sparkling Water and limited amounts of other carbonated drinks can be all that detrimental; we bandsters have enough restrictions as it is. I might add, however, that Diet Coke is used in emergencies to remove corrosion from batteries when you're stranded on the highway...that in itself should deter drinking them in excess.

Thanks,

Grandy

Yeah it's interesting how if we stay away from something long enough when we try it again it can taste totally different. smile.gif

Before banding, I was a diet coke addict and when I stopped drinking it cold turkey during my pre-op diet I thought the caffeine withdrawals would be the end of me. I have been a good girl and followed my Dr's no carbonation rule but about a month ago I took my son to McDonalds to get him something to eat and I took a sip of his diet coke. It tasted NASTY!!! I couldn't believe I had been so hooked on it!! Needless to say, I no longer crave it at all.

Hi sassy... I don't have too many, and I do need to sip slowly. And yes, I will burp regardless... but what's a little burping between friends. biggrin.gif

I love this post!! :rolleyes: The thought of NOT ever being able to have a diet coke ever again, is one of the main things that took me so very long to even decide that I want to be banded. It's good to know that so many of you tolerate it okay. I know a lady that was banded over a year ago and she has been drinking diet Mt. Dew the whole time. I do want to watch how many I drink, because I do worry about the chemicals in that not being good for us, but for the most part, I don't usually drink too many a day, anyhow.....unless I hit the McDonald's drive thru and get a large one for $1. They really got me when they made all sizes the same price! lol!! But, at least it's diet.

It's funny I read peoples comments about how they are worry about sodas eroding our stomach band , but then they turn around and say , I drink them my whole life until I got my band and during the whole life drinking it did it ever erode your stomach , so why would you think now after being banded that a soda would do that , and I can't still see how carbonation will expand your pouch , because doesnt a liquid supposed to go right by the band , and if you get air you will burp , now said I can see why they say stay away from regular sodas is because of the sugar , diet sodas because of the artificial content and both have caffeine and calories , I think those matter way more then the carbonation could maybe do to your stomach

Hi Cindy, this is obviously something you feel strongly about as you've posted three comments so far and I respect all viewpoints from everyone who has commented. Far be it from me to force my opinion on others. I don't get why some people feel the need to do that.

Personally, I believe noone is omnipotent, not even our surgeons, and an intelligent individual can work out some of the smaller details themselves over time.

rolleyes.gif

SkyLily,

It's not that I necessarily feel strongly about this particular topic. (Although I did see a good friend lose her band because she refused to give up the carbonation causing her band to slip.) What I feel strongly about is people being successful. It gets a little frustrating when I read posts from people asking for help because they are not losing weight or are having some other issue and then I read another post where the some of same people seem to be seeking approval to not follow their doctors orders. None of us went through this process because we wanted to fail. I understand that all doctors have different ideas but in reading here it appears that most of them say NO CARBONATION. There's a reason for that. I happen to have 100% confidence in my doctor (he's been doing lap band since 2001 and has done over 2700 of them) and will do WHATEVER he tells me to. As a result, I've been highly successful! I want that for every bandster out there. If my methods are a little rough sometimes, I apologize. But occasionally a little tough love may just be what someone needs!

Cindy

I save my soda drinking for when I am ill. If my stomach is not feeling well, and I can't keep anything down, I have a glass of Orange Crush or Sierra Mist Natural made with real sugar to get my electrolytes up and some calories in me. There is no other time that soda does anything for me. I never was a big soda drinker, but since banding 19 months ago, I can say I don't even want it anymore.

That's fair enough Cindy and I am aware of your success but these are discussion posts where people are allowed to have different opinions. We may not agree with each other but that doesn't mean one person's view should be shot down.I may not agree with your thoughts but I wouldn't insist on you agreeing with mine.<br style="text-indent: 0px !important; ">On a side note, plenty of other people have also followed their doctors advice but through no fault of their own the band hasn't worked for them for one reason or another. I want everyone, including me to succeed, but I have sympathy, empathy and respect for those who haven't and I don't cast blame.<br style="text-indent: 0px !important; ">SkyLily

SkyLily,

It's not that I necessarily feel strongly about this particular topic. (Although I did see a good friend lose her band because she refused to give up the carbonation causing her band to slip.) What I feel strongly about is people being successful. It gets a little frustrating when I read posts from people asking for help because they are not losing weight or are having some other issue and then I read another post where the some of same people seem to be seeking approval to not follow their doctors orders. None of us went through this process because we wanted to fail. I understand that all doctors have different ideas but in reading here it appears that most of them say NO CARBONATION. There's a reason for that. I happen to have 100% confidence in my doctor (he's been doing lap band since 2001 and has done over 2700 of them) and will do WHATEVER he tells me to. As a result, I've been highly successful! I want that for every bandster out there. If my methods are a little rough sometimes, I apologize. But occasionally a little tough love may just be what someone needs!

Cindy

That's fair enough Cindy and I am aware of your success but these are discussion posts where people are allowed to have different opinions. We may not agree with each other but that doesn't mean one person's view should be shot down.I may not agree with your thoughts but I wouldn't insist on you agreeing with mine.<br style="text-indent: 0px !important; ">On a side note, plenty of other people have also followed their doctors advice but through no fault of their own the band hasn't worked for them for one reason or another. I want everyone, including me to succeed, but I have sympathy, empathy and respect for those who haven't and I don't cast blame.<br style="text-indent: 0px !important; ">SkyLily

I couldn't agree more! :)

smile.gif

I couldn't agree more! :)

Very few regular sodas are made with "real sugar" any longer. They contain HFCS ~ high fructose corn syrup~ which is metabolized by the body in a very different fashion than sugar.. and not in a healthy way at all. And yes, I know that the big companies says that HFCS isn't any different than sugar.. that's BS. They have a vested interest in using HFCS because it's so much cheaper for them.

My doctor says no carbonation, for a combo of reasons, minimizing the chances of expanding the upper stomach, thereby minimizing the chances of band slip; avoiding liquid calories (in the case of non-diet); and avoiding artificial sweetners (diet drinks). He recommends Water over crystal lite and it's ilk, but is compassionate enough to know that changing our diets and lives is a difficult thing and sometimes we need a little help along the way. I mainly drink Water now, but using crystal lite when tired of water helped me get to that point.

And along with all the other detrimental effects of Cokes, sodas, pop.. whatever you call them in your neck of the woods.. be aware that they also leach Calcium from our bones. Now, one soda every great now and then probably isn't going to cause a hip fx.. but when you consider that weight loss can ALSO cause lessening of bone density (it has happened to me.. even with lifting weights regularly) ..... why would one want to increase their chances of osteoporosis or osteopenia by drinking them daily?

I'm not a perfect rule follower.. I've had a few sips of diet coke here and there in the 2 years I've been banded.. and sipped a Mimosa or two at special occasions. KEY WORD: SIPS. But I stayed away from carbonation for a long time after banding before I had my first sip. IMO it's not a good idea to partake while you're learning how to work with your band. I would really avoid them for at least the first year. However everyone is different and has a different journey and different goals.