Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My fingers crossed... legs too chubby to cross.. :)

Ok here's my story... I am 35 year sold and the heaviest I have ever been. I can thank southern cooking, genetics, and lack of recent willpower for this.

Growing up my moher was severly overweight.. 380 and 4'11". She had gastric bypass in the 90's and it changed her life forever. Because of her struggles, I always worked so hard to stay active and make healthy choices... until i didn't! :( The weight is soooo easy to creep up and I have been 80-100 lbs overweight for the past 10 years. I have tried everyday and some wok better than others but obviously not THAT well because..here I am. In the first stages of lap band research.

I have made my mind up that this is the right tool for me. I am ready to make positive changes ( even very very hard ones).

I am hopeful that my insurance will cover 90% as I have bcbs of ga and seem to meet the requirements. I go to seminar on June 23 and hope to gain more info on my next step.

I am fearful that recent health stuff will make me inelegible. I have been EXHAUSTED and weak. My neuro had me do a sleep study. NO APNEA but I don't get restful sleep. I am a nurse and work nights so they put me on Nuvigil to help with alertness. They worked up my heart and it was fine but cardio said weightloss would help. My thyroid was out of wack but now normal limits on sytnthroid.

Anyone have recent health stuff before applying for the surgery approval? I am worried that becuase I don't have all the answers for my fatigue they will deny me. I think It's weight related and the inabilty to go into REM sleep. uggghhhh... I guess i need to be patient.

Anyhow.... That is my story and I am sticking to it. I am hoping to get lap band as soon as insurance permits as I so mentally ready for this.

Anyone have tips for bcbs of ga approval?

Hi, jmar!

I've recently made my decision to get banded also! My sx is July 7th, and my bcbs is not covering one penny of my sx here in TX...but only because my carrier omitted the coverage in it's policy. We have sent our second appeal...but i'm not holding my breath. It's been a huge decision to come up with the cash to cover it...but with the wonderful support of my hubby we are making it happen. I also have various medical conditions that make me nervous...but my doc is very upbeat about my success and eased my pre op fears. I am 5'7" and currently weigh 250...my highest was 267. I would love to lose 100 pounds, but have set my goal weight at 170. I can't wait to watch your progress and report mine. Good luck and Congrats!!! ~drylandmurmaid

Ok here's my story... I am 35 year sold and the heaviest I have ever been. I can thank southern cooking, genetics, and lack of recent willpower for this.

Growing up my moher was severly overweight.. 380 and 4'11". She had gastric bypass in the 90's and it changed her life forever. Because of her struggles, I always worked so hard to stay active and make healthy choices... until i didn't! :( The weight is soooo easy to creep up and I have been 80-100 lbs overweight for the past 10 years. I have tried everyday and some wok better than others but obviously not THAT well because..here I am. In the first stages of lap band research.

I have made my mind up that this is the right tool for me. I am ready to make positive changes ( even very very hard ones).

I am hopeful that my insurance will cover 90% as I have bcbs of ga and seem to meet the requirements. I go to seminar on June 23 and hope to gain more info on my next step.

I am fearful that recent health stuff will make me inelegible. I have been EXHAUSTED and weak. My neuro had me do a sleep study. NO APNEA but I don't get restful sleep. I am a nurse and work nights so they put me on Nuvigil to help with alertness. They worked up my heart and it was fine but cardio said weightloss would help. My thyroid was out of wack but now normal limits on sytnthroid.

Anyone have recent health stuff before applying for the surgery approval? I am worried that becuase I don't have all the answers for my fatigue they will deny me. I think It's weight related and the inabilty to go into REM sleep. uggghhhh... I guess i need to be patient.

Anyhow.... That is my story and I am sticking to it. I am hoping to get lap band as soon as insurance permits as I so mentally ready for this.

Hi, jmar!

I am in Texas with BCBS and it's paying for most of my lap-band surgery on July 6. I am more than 100 lbs. overweight and your story sounds much like mine--only I took longer to get to the lap-band part. I'm 40 years old, and just about the time I turned 35, I started a downhill slide physically that ended with me being virtually bedridden.

I've got all sorts of health issues because of the weight. I take a slew of medications. I have terrible asthma. I was fatigued all the time. Losing even 36 lbs. has given me back tons of energy. (I was also finally diagnosed with PCOS, which was a trial in itself. Starting on Metformin even though my blood sugar was on the high end of normal helped with the fatigue some, too.)

My doctor says that if the fatigue is/was hormone-related, losing weight will help because fat messes with hormones (that's simplistic, of course, but true nonetheless).

All that to say that I've had recent health issues that sound similar to some of yours, and my BCBS is covering me for lap-band surgery. They approved me in four days. I'm hopeful and optimistic for your chances of approval, too. :D

Thanks guys...

I have my seminar tomorrow and I hoping for some direction. I feel many things I have going on can be/are attributed to my weight...

The journey begins....

Thanks guys...

I have my seminar tomorrow and I hoping for some direction. I feel many things I have going on can be/are attributed to my weight...

The journey begins....

Let us know how it goes. And 'crossing my legs' is on my list of "I can't wait for" that I made to help me during the tough times .... :)