Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie getting banded on the 24th!!!!

Hi all,

I'm Shannon, I live in Ft. Lauderdale Florida and am getting my surgery done at Strax Rejuvenation on the 24th. I am getting very nervous now. I am reading up on this forum and on Facebook pages and hear a lot of success stories and horror stories. I am so scared that I will be one of the few with the horror story. I know the chances are that it won't happen but it could happen. I signed up today for this site to maybe talk to a few people who have had the band put in and see how it is going for them. I guess I need reassurance. I know it will be a long and hard journey but I feel I am ready once and for all for it. I have tried diet after diet and lost my motivation along the way. One diet I tried was the six week body makeover, I was on it for almost 3 months and lost 30lbs.!!!! I was happy and proud of myself but it came with a strict diet and I eventually fell off plan. I have since gained all of it back. I know this surgery isn't the answer for my eating habits but I do feel that it will restrict how much I eat and thats what I need. I do like my fast food when I don't feel like cooking so it will be hard in the beginning to make myself cook but I know I need to do this for the health of myself and my family. I am married and have 2 kids both boys ages 12 and 10. My husband is wonderful, he truly loves me for me and doesn't care how big I am. But I want to be able to give him a healthier wife that isn't too tired to be intimate with him. I want to be the mom that isn't too tired to spend time out doors with her children. So this is what brought me to see the dr. about surgery. I know there can be a lot of benefits involved in having this surgery if I do it as instructed.

Hi Shannon, I have to say your story could be mine. I am married with two great kids. Have been on every diet, lose weight but can't keep it off. My husband loves me no matter what, but I had to do this for me first and formost, then for my family, to enjoy them again. I was banded on May 13th, and I have to say it has only been a month, but it so far was the best thing I have done. I have lost 20pds so far, and I feel great. I am not hungery all the time, it is amazing how my portion sizes changed and I am satisfied. I did not have to do a pre-op diet, and the liqued diet after was not that bad for me. Any time we make a major change in our life it is going to be scary and unsettling, but hang in there, and stick with the program. The band is just a tool, you still need to work at it. Your mind will still crave the things you wanted before now you have to change your thinking, and ask do I really need that. You will do great, have faith in yourself. Best of luck!