Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Pre-Op Shopping List

So, I have a ways to go until I am banded (5 more months), but I wanted to start finding the essentials for the pre-op diet... I've seen posts about the Protein shakes and some great suggestions. What are some other things that I should start stocking up on to make sure I have everything planned and ready to go??

My surgeon requires 1 week of a high Protein liquid diet, then Clear liquids for 1 day prior to surgery.

Questions:

Did you need any special meds, vits, or supplements?

Since the Lap Band does not use malabsorption for weightloss, can I get all the nutrients I need from food alone or are supplements a necessity?

How soon can you bathe and drive?? (I've seen conflicting times, I know it varies, but I want to see what the consensus is)..

Can you see the port if you wear something form fitting or does this depend on a person's skin and muscle tissue?

Thanks!!

Definitelly get the book Bandwagon -it's a great resource and wil answer all of your questions completely.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandwagon-Strategies-Success-Adjustable-Gastric/dp/0578061236

You'll neeed to take vitamins-plus they are always a good idea!

You can bathe in 2 days

My doctor said I could drive in 5 days (but that varies from doctor to doctor)

You can't see the port

I really think the most important thing to remember is that for the first 2 months or so you will be dieting pretty much on your own unless your one of the rare lucky ones who never needed a fill!

Good luck!!

Hi:

You will take Vitamins and Calcium chewables after lapband surgery. Call around and get samples of the shakes most companies offer samples packs, I just got a whole slew of them, some I paid for, some were free. My doc calls for a 3 week liquid diet with Protein for dinner of chicken or fish and oatmeal and yogurt along with Jello we can have. I am having my surgery on 7/12 so I don't have the answers to the rest of your questions yet. I'm sure some nice people will jump in and fill you in. Are you on the 6 month supervised diet right now? Just wondering. Stock up on Jello and sugar free stuff, truvia for sweetners, applesauce, soft stuff like that that won't go bad because you will be eating a lot of it.

I would like to suggest that before you actually "stock up" on one particular Protein drink/powder, you sample a few different brands to find out which one you like best.

I have read posts about people stocking up on a certain drink that was recommended to them by their doc/nut/or someone else and they couldn't drink it because they hated the taste.

~Fran

I gues I am totally clueless. Where would I call around too.

Thanks!!! I'll get on that right now!!!!

Hi:

You will take Vitamins and Calcium chewables after lapband surgery. Call around and get samples of the shakes most companies offer samples packs, I just got a whole slew of them, some I paid for, some were free. My doc calls for a 3 week liquid diet with Protein for dinner of chicken or fish and oatmeal and yogurt along with Jello we can have. I am having my surgery on 7/12 so I don't have the answers to the rest of your questions yet. I'm sure some nice people will jump in and fill you in. Are you on the 6 month supervised diet right now? Just wondering. Stock up on Jello and sugar free stuff, truvia for sweetners, applesauce, soft stuff like that that won't go bad because you will be eating a lot of it.

Thanks! I appreciate your suggestions!!! I'll look for the book tonight!!

Definitelly get the book Bandwagon -it's a great resource and wil answer all of your questions completely.

http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/0578061236

You'll neeed to take vitamins-plus they are always a good idea!

You can bathe in 2 days

My doctor said I could drive in 5 days (but that varies from doctor to doctor)

You can't see the port

I really think the most important thing to remember is that for the first 2 months or so you will be dieting pretty much on your own unless your one of the rare lucky ones who never needed a fill!

Good luck!!

Thanks!! Congratulations on your impending banding!!! How is Truvia?? I don't use suger substitutes because of the after taste (I definitely don't use the artificial ones)..

Hi:

Here are my opinions on Protein drinks:

Bariatric Fusion: tried sample pack of powder ordered online, came with 8 flavors, didn't really like them much because they all have the same underlying flavor and it leaves an aftertaste. Ordered from bariatricfusion.com.

Unjury: tried sample packs of vanilla and chocolate. Didn't like the vanilla, but the chocolate was tolerable. Probably would have been even better if it was very cold. I also have an unflavored powder packet but I haven't used it in anything yet. Ordered from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.com.

Isopure: they have powders I haven't tried, but I tried the grape flavored Protein Drink which is tolerable but I plan to add a pack of grape flavored Hawaiin Punch (the sugar free packet kind you can add to bottled water) to the next bottle I drink because it does have an off taste due to the Protein Powder. I think the extra grape flavor will help. Bought this at GNC. They have several flavors available and even a couple of smoothie flavors but I haven't tried the smoothies. You can find info at www.theisopurecompany.com.

Syntrax Nectar: Syntrax makes several varieties of Protein powders. I tried the Roadside Lemonade flavor and didn't like it much. I plan to try it again in a different way, by mixing a smaller amount of the powder with some Crystal Light. The flavor was just too strong for me the way I tried it the first time. I have a packet of Twisted cherry flavor that I am going to mix with some Cherry Limeade sugar free drink mix, so I'm hoping that will taste ok. It's not a way to get a lot of protein at once if the packets are divided, but if it can be mixed in and not very noticeable with other drinks I'll be drinking anyway, it's like a sneaky way of getting in some protein after the surgery when it'll be so important. Website is www.si03.com but I found the packets sold locally at a Hy-vee grocery store.

Pure Protein Vanilla Creme and Chocolate ready to drink versions: I like the vanilla creme flavor pretty well, and can drink the chocolate flavor but I won't buy it again. This brand also comes in powdered form but I have not tried it yet. I found both ready to drink and powdered versions at Target and they have them on Amazon.com as well.

Body Fortress whey Protein Isolate powder: tried this in chocolate from Walmart. It's one of the least expensive protein powders out there and it's the one I like the best out of all I've tried. The taste is similar to Nesquik. it would probably be possible to add some sugar free Nesquik to it for an even better flavor. They also make a vanilla flavor but I have not tried it yet.

One trick I've found that helps me is to freeze skim milk in an ice cube tray and then I use 4 cubes (they're about 1 oz each), 1/2 cup of milk and a scoop of Body Fortress powder to make a shake in the blender and it's pretty cold and creamy that way.

The Pure Protein brand is not a whey Protein Isolate which is what my surgeon's office recommends, but since I'm drinking the Body Fortress brand which is, I figure it's ok. During my liquid diet phase that I've been in, I'll have one Pure Protein Shake and three Body Fortress shakes in a day so I'm still getting the isolate in a larger amount. However, you may want to check with your surgeon's office to see if they have a specific type of protein they recommend.

If you find a vanilla flavored powder that you like, you can also buy sugar free syrups and extracts in other flavors to add to it for variety. I have some mint extract that I'm going to try in chocolate!

I don't know about how soon you can bathe and drive - I need to find that info out myself.

Hope this helps!

Help a lot!! Thanks!!!!

Here are my opinions on Protein drinks:

Bariatric Fusion: tried sample pack of powder ordered online, came with 8 flavors, didn't really like them much because they all have the same underlying flavor and it leaves an aftertaste. Ordered from bariatricfusion.com.

Unjury: tried sample packs of vanilla and chocolate. Didn't like the vanilla, but the chocolate was tolerable. Probably would have been even better if it was very cold. I also have an unflavored powder packet but I haven't used it in anything yet. Ordered from unjury.com.

Isopure: they have powders I haven't tried, but I tried the grape flavored Protein Drink which is tolerable but I plan to add a pack of grape flavored Hawaiin Punch (the sugar free packet kind you can add to bottled water) to the next bottle I drink because it does have an off taste due to the Protein Powder. I think the extra grape flavor will help. Bought this at GNC. They have several flavors available and even a couple of smoothie flavors but I haven't tried the smoothies. You can find info at www.theisopurecompany.com.

Syntrax Nectar: Syntrax makes several varieties of Protein powders. I tried the Roadside Lemonade flavor and didn't like it much. I plan to try it again in a different way, by mixing a smaller amount of the powder with some Crystal Light. The flavor was just too strong for me the way I tried it the first time. I have a packet of Twisted cherry flavor that I am going to mix with some Cherry Limeade sugar free drink mix, so I'm hoping that will taste ok. It's not a way to get a lot of protein at once if the packets are divided, but if it can be mixed in and not very noticeable with other drinks I'll be drinking anyway, it's like a sneaky way of getting in some protein after the surgery when it'll be so important. Website is www.si03.com but I found the packets sold locally at a Hy-vee grocery store.

Pure Protein Vanilla Creme and Chocolate ready to drink versions: I like the vanilla creme flavor pretty well, and can drink the chocolate flavor but I won't buy it again. This brand also comes in powdered form but I have not tried it yet. I found both ready to drink and powdered versions at Target and they have them on Amazon.com as well.

Body Fortress Whey Protein Isolate powder: tried this in chocolate from Walmart. It's one of the least expensive protein powders out there and it's the one I like the best out of all I've tried. The taste is similar to Nesquik. it would probably be possible to add some sugar free Nesquik to it for an even better flavor. They also make a vanilla flavor but I have not tried it yet.

One trick I've found that helps me is to freeze skim milk in an ice cube tray and then I use 4 cubes (they're about 1 oz each), 1/2 cup of milk and a scoop of Body Fortress powder to make a shake in the blender and it's pretty cold and creamy that way.

The Pure Protein brand is not a Whey Protein Isolate which is what my surgeon's office recommends, but since I'm drinking the Body Fortress brand which is, I figure it's ok. During my liquid diet phase that I've been in, I'll have one Pure Protein Shake and three Body Fortress shakes in a day so I'm still getting the isolate in a larger amount. However, you may want to check with your surgeon's office to see if they have a specific type of protein they recommend.

If you find a vanilla flavored powder that you like, you can also buy sugar free syrups and extracts in other flavors to add to it for variety. I have some mint extract that I'm going to try in chocolate!

I don't know about how soon you can bathe and drive - I need to find that info out myself.

Hope this helps!

Make sure you need Protein shakes. I bought tons of the stuff before surgery only to find out my surgeon wants me eating my calories not doing shakes. So I went from Clear liquids to full liquids to solids. For that matter, find out what is on YOUR surgeon's post-op diet and get that.

I like Isagenix shakes. They are available online. I use them after a fill, and after stuck episodes, or if I am just wanting something different.

After surgery, have a heating pad for your tummy. It felt oh, so good. Don't lay flat unless you have someone to help you get up for a couple of days. Have all your chores done, so you don't have anything to worry about. Fill all your prescriptions before going to the hospital, but keep your nose out of the pain meds! laugh.gif Have the pain meds near where you will sleep. This is related to not laying flat. I woke up in bed the first night after the meds had worn off and couldn't move. If not for my DH I'd probably still be there unable to get up.

Remove all your jewelry before going to the hospital.