Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any others around here into yoga?

Hi there!

I was just wondering how many other folks on here are into yoga. Despite being overweight for a long time in my life, I've been doing yoga for over 10 years. I taught modified yoga classes to other overweight folks for a while to show that yoga can be done by all body styles, even people with very limited mobility, as long as the pose is modified enough.

Anyhoo, I was curious if there is anyone else around here?

My goal is to eventually heal myself enough and become healthy enough to become a yoga teacher as a side career. It's probably my favorite form of exercise.

I'm definitely going to try yoga once I lose the weight. Never done it though.

I've done my first few classes just recently and really liked it, although I could stand to improve my flexibility a tad! Having just been through cancer treatment, and being exercise wise, a real "no pain no gain" kinda person, I like to literally kill myself exercising - the harder the better and I love stuff like sandbag training and bootcamp. But recently, I've sort of felt that I need to nurture my body not run it into the ground and to be honest, although I've lost a ton of fat, I've never had the results from that sort of training that I would like to see in terms of strenght. Until I'm ready to teach full time again I've had a job teaching gymnastics to young kids abnd I've really noticed how much my core strength and flexibility is lacking. So I decided to try yoga. To be honest, its a bit slow and not strenuous enough for mebut I've continued with two classes of week for pure flexibility and relaxation and through that I've also moved into more gymanstics and ballet style training and I'm getting absolutely phenomenal results from it! Its unbelievable - i think I've found what suits my body type, I've shrunk inches without losing weight!

I started yoga about a month ago. I've found I'm not as flexible as I thought I was and I have little balance but the yoga is helping me. I enjoy riding my bike and have found yoga to help with my core strength (a plus when riding).

I like Yoga and I did go for several years, but as my weight increased, I became embarrassed to go. I found the stretching and relaxation techniques great for the stress of the work week. I have had difficulty with balance all of my life, being called a klutz many times (I think I have a minor undiagnosed issue with it) so I have difficulty with the poses. Once I get banded and get to a point that I do not feel embarrassed to be in a class I look forward to getting back into it. I think finding a good instructor is key, yoga should not be a hybrid Americanized aerobics class, at least in my opinion.

I'm definitely going to try yoga once I lose the weight. Never done it though.

You can do yoga even when you're a big person! If you learn how to modify the moves in a way that suits your body you can do some of it at any size!

I used to do Inhale.. a high energy yoga show that was on Oxygen. It's been off for a while now.. but I remember enough of it to make my own routines of the poses and do 20-30 minutes of yoga most mornings before my girls wake up. It's a great way to start the day, for sure. Does anyone else remember that Inhale show? Or know if it may be on a different channel? I miss it..

Thanks,

Kortni

I wish I liked yoga because it seems to relaxing and calming but I just can't get into it. I don't like Pilates either but wish I did. I would take a huffing, puffing 45

Minutes at a 15% incline on the treadmill any day.

I could do with some zen though!