Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching Surgeons in Houston

I've been reading the threads in Houston about problems with doctors etc. I just want to say that I had the surgery last year and the surgeon I chose basically abandoned me as a patient after things went wrong. His stupid nurse is primary to blame for a lack of better judgement. To begin with, he cancelled my surgery 4 times the morning of (as I lay in a gurney hooked up to IVs!). The OR nurse was irate at his decision (apparently it was an insurance issue with his office). That should have been my first warning!!! Then, I was admitted for what should have been an outpatient procedure. A week after the surgery I ended up in the hospital for several more days because of his nurse's failure to listen to my complaints (God forbid I be right and she be wrong). Guess what? SHE WAS WRONG! I've never suffered so much pain in my life because I listened to her.

ANYWAYYYYY.... The doctor never returned my calls (while I was hospitalized or afterwards) I had to switch surgeons and I noticed that several of you have had a hard time finding another surgeon. I had no trouble whatsoever. All you have to do is call any general surgeon's office and ask if they will see you. There are ALOT of general surgeons in Houston, Spring, The Woodlands, etc. who do Lap Band Surgery.

So sorry you went through the pain and frustration. I am glad that you found another surgeon that can care for you! Good luck.Shawn

Geez! Poor thing...Sorry you had to go through all of that. :) Glad to hear you found a new doctor. Who are you using now? I went with Dr. Spivak and he was great. I have a friend who used Dr. Speigel for her Gastric Bypass and had some complications afterwards but is doing fine now and looks great! I haven't heard about any of the other local surgeons in the area though. Glad that you are doing well.

I was banded on 12/5/05 by Dr. Spivak. I thought he was very nice-but he doesn't talk to you much-and I like to talk! I first went to NeWeigh and saw a Dr. Jay?????? I went there to discuss lap band-but before I finished my first visit-the counselor had me conviced to to the gastric bypass. I went back a week later to watch their video and meet Dr. Jay-who only did a breast exam-NOTHING else but a breast exam. I didn't feel so great about him after I left there. My husband had heard alot of good things about Dr. Spivak from the ladies at this office-so that's why I went to him. His office staff is awesome-and very helpful!!

I go for my #2 fill 2/16/06. I didn't feel much difference after the first fill-still felt like I could eat ALOT-but didn't. I can't wait to get to the point where I'm not "dieting"! Right now, I'm having to watch what I eat, and just stop eating when I feel the slightest feeling of being full. Even though he used the fluorscope when he put the saline in the portal-I still don't think he put enough! I really don't feel any difference now as opposed to before I had the surgery. I have lost about 25lbs. though-which is not as much as I had hoped for!

Okay-feeling a little discouraged here!

Thanks for encouragement Allison. I guess I hear too many stories of people that had the RNY and wish I would have done that! The needles stick is so PAINful for the lapband! I really wanted to lose 30lbs. in the first month-guess my goals were too high LOL!

I used Dr. Spivak on Feb. 3rd and I've never felt restricted. I haven't lost any weight yet and I'm starting to get a little worried. I didn't think I'd have to "diet" once I had the band. I thought I'd fill full right away and not want to eat. I can eat normally right now. My first fill is scheduled for March 9th. I'm wondering if he'll fill me a little more if I tell him that I've felt nothing so far or if there's a "standard" amount for a first fill?

Angie-your stomach isn't resticted at all until you have your first "fill". When the surgery is first done, he doesn't fill the band with saline because of the swelling in and around the stomach. You basically have to follow his diet until your first fill. Even after my first fill, I really didn't feel much restriction-so I'm still "dieting" until I have my second fill this Thursday. He only put 1.5 in first-now it'll probably be 2cc. I'm sooooooooooo tired of dieting LOL! Remember to drink LOTS OF WATER-if you're like I was-you're so sick and tired of hearing that LOL! I drank cokes and sweet tea all day long before surgery-(12/5/05) now it's water-with the exception of my nonfat, no whip, triple venti cinnamon dolce latter from Starbucks (my reward)! AND-don't drink when you eat-wait atleast 30mins. after you eat to drink liquid-which is hard to get used to! Just hang in there-it'll come off-whatever you do-don't watch the scales all the time-Bee at Spivaks ofc. told me to take my measurements too. Measurements have been encouraging-more than the scales!

Oh nooooo. Stick with the lap band. It is so less invasive than the gastric bypass and so much safer!! My husband had a gastric bypass way back when they first started them and he almost died. Also, years later he had severe complications, really painful complications that required even more surgery.

Listen to the others on here... you'll see that weight will start to fall off faster when you get your fills. I put off getting my band filled because of other things and my weight stayed the same. As soon as I got the right fill I definately saw a difference. I know, those darn needles hurt!! Especially when the dr. can't find the right spot.

I get so frustrated with not being able to keep solid food down. I just resort to drinking slim fast for Breakfast and eating lots of homemade chicken and vegetable Soup and I drink lots of Water and Crystal Light Pink Lemonade. If I even attempt to drink a carbonated soda I burp like a man! It's horrible. I stick to my pink lemonade. The Crystal Lite Peach Iced Tea is really good too! Oh and don't forget to take a Vitamin every day!

I've tried alot of the Crystal Lite things-but Water is better to me. I need my fill up though-I can see my appetite increasing LOL! Makes me wanna take a diet pill LOL!

I was banded by Dr. Spivak on 2/27/06 and have felt restricted from day one...Ok...so I am only five days post op now...so is that normal in the beginning just due to swelling? Will this feeling pass before I get my frist fill? I like feeling restricted....I am addicted to food....and now can't take much in before I feel full....so I just dont want to eat more (this is huge for me, as before surgery I didnt have to fill hungry to eat).

I was banded by Dr. Spivak on 2/27/06 and have felt restricted from day one...Ok...so I am only five days post op now...so is that normal in the beginning just due to swelling? Will this feeling pass before I get my frist fill? I like feeling restricted....I am addicted to food....and now can't take much in before I feel full....so I just dont want to eat more (this is huge for me, as before surgery I didnt have to fill hungry to eat).

It's normal to feel a restriction, at first. Mostly, it is due to swelling. Once the swelling is down, you'll be able to eat more. But don't fret, once you have your fill again (it might take a couple), you'll feel that restriciton again.

Dr. Spivak has a great reputation. Good luck! Shawn