Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing up after eating

How long after eating do you throw up if you are going to throw up? I just dont want to go back from my lunch break and throw up on a customer. :0/

I have never vomited. It is important to keep your band at a level where you can eat 3 oz of solid Protein plus veggies. I suspect some people who have productive burps, vomiting, have their bands too tight (you'll note I said some). My doctor said if you can't eat the amounts of food listed above you are to tight.

For me, the first week after a fill I find myself usually PB'ing during a meal, not afterward. I will take too large of a bite, or not chew it enough, and it will come right back up with 2 minutes. I always know instantly because once it hits my pouch, I get a wierd crawling sensation - that's saliva pouring down to try to rectify the problem. I excuse myself, calmly walk to the bathroom and get rid of it. Afterwards I can usually go back to eating the rest of my meal - sometimes I can't, depending on when it happens, but most of the time I can.

After about 5 days, things start to calm down for me and I do this less and less - for instance, at lunch today I had to PB a bite of turkey burger, but dinner was fine and I had chicken.

It just depends, so take small bites and chew :)

Re: "vomit" "throwing up" "sliming" and "PB"

Bandsters have evolved some terms descriptive of their particular situation.

In general, "vomit" and "throwing up" are inaccurate to describe what happens when we eat too much/too fast/too dry/too fibrous without proper consideration to such factors as amount, type of food, how well we chew, etc.

"Vomit/throwing up" is not accurate, as those terms involve gastric juices and at lease partial digestion within the stomach. Usually the type of smelly clumpy liquid such as after drinking too much alcohol or some kind of food poisoning. I've seen relatively few reports of actual stomach content being 'thrown up' in postOp Bandsters. Feelings of nausea etc continue after the fact depending on what the actual cause of the event may have been. Various illnesses can be responsible as well. This is the very kind of event that non-Bandsters experience.

The "sliming" or "PB--productive burping" whatever we may call it, results from whatever we eat not fitting thru the pouch and we in effect regurgitate it from above the Band area. There is remarkably little digestive juices present at this point, as those reside in the lower stomach area and are not in contact until after the bolus passes thru the Band into the actual stomach.

Heavy mucous/slime is most often a component and repeated spitting can and does occur. The bolus of food is rejected and returned to the world and the Bandster can return to their activities. Nausea and other symptoms pass with the objectionable material being expulsed.

This is not an illness per se, rather of symptom most often of an Error of Eating. Time and experience will teach the Bandster how to mostly avoid such event in the first place.

"Sliming-PBing" is different than the type of foul tasting bile type regurgitation one might get when laying in bed.

Hope this helps identify some of what recent Bandsters may find confusion.

Re: "vomit" "throwing up" "sliming" and "PB"

Bandsters have evolved some terms descriptive of their particular situation.

In general, "vomit" and "throwing up" are inaccurate to describe what happens when we eat too much/too fast/too dry/too fibrous without proper consideration to such factors as amount, type of food, how well we chew, etc.

"Vomit/throwing up" is not accurate, as those terms involve gastric juices and at least partial digestion within the stomach. Usually the type of smelly clumpy liquid such as after drinking too much alcohol or some kind of food poisoning. I've seen relatively few reports of actual stomach content being 'thrown up' in postOp Bandsters. Feelings of nausea etc continue after the fact depending on what the actual cause of the event may have been. Various illnesses can be responsible as well. This is the very kind of event that non-Bandsters experience.

The "sliming" or "PB--productive burping" whatever we may call it, results from whatever we eat not fitting thru the pouch and we in effect regurgitate it from above the Band area. There is remarkably little digestive juices present at this point, as those reside in the lower stomach area and are not in contact until after the bolus passes thru the Band into the actual stomach. This is a Bandster Event.

Heavy mucous/slime is most often a component and repeated spitting can and does occur. The bolus of food is rejected and returned to the world and the Bandster can return to their activities. Nausea and other symptoms pass with the objectionable material being expulsed.

This is not an illness per se, rather of symptom most often of an Error of Eating. Time and experience will teach the Bandster how to mostly avoid such event in the first place.

"Sliming-PBing" is different than the type of foul tasting bile type regurgitation one might get when laying in bed.

Hope this helps identify some of what recent Bandsters may find confusion.

Great clarification, Jack. The distinction is one of my AGB golden rules, because if you ask me for help and you're "throwing up" what I'm going to tell you is radically different than if you ask for help and you're "PBing".

Most bandsters have a significant period of (also significant) discomfort before they actually bring up the stuck food. It can just happen, but it usually does not. From the point that I feel discomfort, to the point that I'm ready to bring it up, is about 45 minutes. Yes, I've timed it and pulled an average -- wanted to know when I could expect the pain to finally stop.

It's not like a vomit where - there it is. You have some control over how and when it happens. Once I really needed to yak at a restaurant, but the stalls were all full and my company was ready to leave. So I "held it" until we got back to work. Granted, I had the driver drop me at the door and literally ran to the bathroom, but I was able to control not doing it at the restaurant or in her car. It was not fun, nor comfortable, but possible.

I usually feel it right away. It feels like something is stuck and nothing can go past it. Next I will start sliming or hear my stomach making noises. So I will go to the ladies room and try and make it come up. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times before I feel relief. On Saturday I was at a picnic and ate a hotdog no bread. I guess I took one bite too big and didn't chew it right. No bathroom was around, I finally got in the car with my uncle to go to his house (he didn't live far from where we were at). Lucky for him and me he had paper towels in his car. I could not hold it any longer. I didn't make too much of a mess in his car. I was able to catch most of it in the paper towels. About a half hour later I went and got some hot tea and I felt so much better. A few hours later I was able to eat again (but did not have a hot dog). I ate chicken and chewed, chewed very small pieces. What a difference and it stayed down.

I propose we add a further descriptive nuance to Wheetsin's post: IMHO a "yak" is considerably more effort in hurling out the offending mess; it is more that a 'mere PB/sliming' type event, but may contain some of the PB elements. And those little dogs/franks/polish sausages.....somehow they manage to slip past my carefully honed cat like reflexes and turn a delightful lunch into a horrid 20-40 minutes of "full scale PB/yak attack" Careful recent field research on this very matter has clearly demonstrated a Class One Eating Error: failure to chew thoroughly and swallowing too soon. Caught again!....but I have repented and managed to recover quickly. I just don't need those things in my meal plan I guess. *sigh*

LOL. I am staying away from hotdogs in the future.

I propose we add a further descriptive nuance to Wheetsin's post: IMHO a "yak" is considerably more effort in hurling out the offending mess; it is more that a 'mere PB/sliming' type event, but may contain some of the PB elements. And those little dogs/franks/polish sausages.....somehow they manage to slip past my carefully honed cat like reflexes and turn a delightful lunch into a horrid 20-40 minutes of "full scale PB/yak attack" Careful recent field research on this very matter has clearly demonstrated a Class One Eating Error: failure to chew thoroughly and swallowing too soon. Caught again!....but I have repented and managed to recover quickly. I just don't need those things in my meal plan I guess. *sigh*

I propose we add a further descriptive nuance to Wheetsin's post

I'm saying it, so it must be definitive. :P

PB = I don't really use the term PB. If I'm going to call something a "productive burp," which I'm not, it's going to be a "wet burp" where I think I'm just burping, but bring up a little stomach mojo. I did that pre-band. I think everyone does that at some point in time. So it's not a band thing. What I do with my band is nothing like a burp.

Sliming = producing copious amounts of thick saliva, presumably my body's attempt to lubricate the nugget blocking my stoma.

Yakking = bringing up stuck food/water/whatever, because I'm not going to call it a PB. Mine typically involve the nice "hwuuuhhh" wretching sounds associated with vomiting, but usually just once or twice and on a much smaller scale. And without anything from my stomach being included. May or may not include chewed food. Almost always resembles egg whites (slime).

Vomiting = bringing up stomach contents.

Can you please use that in a sentence?

I first suspected I had a slipped band when, after sliming, I finally yakked and noticed that it tasted a bit like vomit instead of tasting like the usual nothing/chewed food.< /em>

I should invent a new term for the phenomenon when gagging/wretching is able to push the blockage through and you never quite have to full on yak. Many times I would be all set to yak (sink Water running lukewarm, stack of paper towels so I can wipe up my slime "slides", sleeves rolled up, etc. and I would gag/wretch, and only slime would come up. Or just the action of the gag/wretch seemed to dislodge the nugget. I always metaphor-ized that into wretching = toilet plunger action.

LOL. I am staying away from hotdogs in the future.

You should ask Jack about Triscuits.

There's also foaming, which is what happens when you bring up slime that has been churned by the esophagus a little too much, or too violenty, or who knows what. Like cream can become butter with enough elbow grease, slime can become foam with enough esophagus grease.

Looks just like a really, really rich Shampoo lather.