Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here! I have some questions!

Sorry, if everyone has answered these before. I have my seminar tomorrow but I need some real life advice on some questions I have.

First: I am an EMT and work on an ambulance, I do heavy lifting, moving patients, etc, every shift. I have 4 days off every other week and can't take time off right now. I can get away with having my partner lift the gurney in and out of the rig (it's hydraulic so we don't have to lift it with a patient on it, except for getting it in the rig), but helping move patients and other unforseen things can happen where I will HAVE to do my job (so to speak, lol), and even if I can get away with not lifting as much, my regular job entails carrying things, squatting, bending, twisting, etc. Is 4 days enough recovery to be able to go back do you think? How long until you resumed totally normal acitvities (picking up your kids, carrying groceries, picking up heavy objects, etc)? I do not want to tell my work about me doing this.

Second: The REASON I can't take off much, if any, time right now, is because I am starting paramedic school (it's the next step up from Emt) in mid Aug. From aug until sept, i'll be taking as much time off as possible and then in mid september, i'll be taking 3 months off, which is the remainder of the first part of my schooling. I can take up to 12 weeks personal LOA per year, and the first part of the school, which is full time hours basically, is about 4 months, so for the first month-ish, I have to kind of creatively schedule until I can take my leave. Sorry if none of this is making sense, but it DOES have a point, I swear! What i'm worried about is that if I have the procedure done, is it stressful and do you feel sick until you get the fill level just right? I will already be under a ton of stress with school because it's an extremely stressful program and I am afraid of two being too stressful put together. My hope is that I can have the procedure done, and basically get right back to living without having to think too much about it. I already eat healthy and run for exercise. I know my weaknessess for sure and the areas in which I can improve (like portion, I can eat WAY too much at one time!), and I will absolutely make whatever changes I need to in the diet and exercise department, but other then that, I am hoping this won't be too much of a "thing" in my life. Does that make sense??? Probably not, haha.

Third: What should I expect at the seminar tomorrow? Is there a lot of people at one time or is it a one on one thing?

My stats:

5'1 236lbs, size 20 pants, 2x shirts. My "ideal" weight is 122, which is totally bogus for me. Even in high school, when I was doing drugs, I was 140 and that was about a size 8. Gawd, to have THAT back (the size, not the drugs!), so really, I think 150 is a perfect weight for me. I am physically strong, doing manual labor at work and ride horses so I have always had a ton of muscle. At my heaviest, one year after my son was born, I was 158, size 24 pants. Through Weight watchers, I got down to 230, where I remained for freakin EVER no matter what I did , and then in Jan I started working nights. No big changes in diet and BAM 6-10lb gain. Which I learned is normal for people starting nights because of the lack of "down" time and non-eating time (seriously, I don't get much sleep during the week) so my metabolism is all screwed up.

Anyways, just looking for some answers!

I am a Paramedic, so I think answering your questions are pretty easy...since I was where you are.

1. 4 days is in now way enough time. Not only can you hurt yourself but your partner. You will be extremely weak, nauseated, you will also have a pain pump (that will give you a steady dose of pain & nausea meds) You will not be able to drive let alone do patient care. If you do either you can and will loose your cert or worse. Also, depending on the location of the port you will have to be extra cautious when loading the stretcher (it is places to the Left of your navel at your waistline) That being said, you will have no choice but to inform your employer. After you get used to it, it will be second nature and you will have no problem doing your job.

2. Same as #1

3. Most Weight-loss Surgical Centers will hold monthly seminars, which means that there will be several people there. At that time you will meet your surgeon and patient advocate for the 1st time. They will tell you all the different types of procedures they offer. You will be able to ask questions at that time. After the seminar you will make an appointment with the dietitian. (Some places require psychological evaluation) The process from seminar to surgery is usually at least 2 to 3 months.

Now for a bit of advise...If I knew then what I know now, I would have had bypass and not lap band. It is not for everyone. You will have to have regular monthly appointments, for pretty much the rest of your life. And don't even think about moving to another city or state. It is nearly impossible to find another surgeons office that will see you. Also, after you have the procedure, you will most likely never see your surgeon again. You will only be permitted to see the nurse practitioner.

I hope my information helps you. Good luck

Sorry, if everyone has answered these before. I have my seminar tomorrow but I need some real life advice on some questions I have.

First: I am an EMT and work on an ambulance, I do heavy lifting, moving patients, etc, every shift. I have 4 days off every other week and can't take time off right now. I can get away with having my partner lift the gurney in and out of the rig (it's hydraulic so we don't have to lift it with a patient on it, except for getting it in the rig), but helping move patients and other unforseen things can happen where I will HAVE to do my job (so to speak, lol), and even if I can get away with not lifting as much, my regular job entails carrying things, squatting, bending, twisting, etc. Is 4 days enough recovery to be able to go back do you think? How long until you resumed totally normal acitvities (picking up your kids, carrying groceries, picking up heavy objects, etc)? I do not want to tell my work about me doing this.

Second: The REASON I can't take off much, if any, time right now, is because I am starting paramedic school (it's the next step up from Emt) in mid Aug. From aug until sept, i'll be taking as much time off as possible and then in mid september, i'll be taking 3 months off, which is the remainder of the first part of my schooling. I can take up to 12 weeks personal LOA per year, and the first part of the school, which is full time hours basically, is about 4 months, so for the first month-ish, I have to kind of creatively schedule until I can take my leave. Sorry if none of this is making sense, but it DOES have a point, I swear! What i'm worried about is that if I have the procedure done, is it stressful and do you feel sick until you get the fill level just right? I will already be under a ton of stress with school because it's an extremely stressful program and I am afraid of two being too stressful put together. My hope is that I can have the procedure done, and basically get right back to living without having to think too much about it. I already eat healthy and run for exercise. I know my weaknessess for sure and the areas in which I can improve (like portion, I can eat WAY too much at one time!), and I will absolutely make whatever changes I need to in the diet and exercise department, but other then that, I am hoping this won't be too much of a "thing" in my life. Does that make sense??? Probably not, haha.

Third: What should I expect at the seminar tomorrow? Is there a lot of people at one time or is it a one on one thing?

My stats:

5'1 236lbs, size 20 pants, 2x shirts. My "ideal" weight is 122, which is totally bogus for me. Even in high school, when I was doing drugs, I was 140 and that was about a size 8. Gawd, to have THAT back (the size, not the drugs!), so really, I think 150 is a perfect weight for me. I am physically strong, doing manual labor at work and ride horses so I have always had a ton of muscle. At my heaviest, one year after my son was born, I was 158, size 24 pants. Through Weight watchers, I got down to 230, where I remained for freakin EVER no matter what I did , and then in Jan I started working nights. No big changes in diet and BAM 6-10lb gain. Which I learned is normal for people starting nights because of the lack of "down" time and non-eating time (seriously, I don't get much sleep during the week) so my metabolism is all screwed up.

Anyways, just looking for some answers!

I can't imagine doing any kind of physical work that soon after surgery. I was mostly laying around all day for about a week after.

I'm an LVT. (a nurse for animals). I took a week off, but probably could have gone back at 5 days. Most people do not have a pain pump, by the way. But even though I was back I wasn't allowed to lift anything heavy for about 3.5 weeks. I kept it to dogs no larger than 25#. I did start lifting a few days sooner than I was supposed to because a dog looked like it was going to crash and I had to get it to the back.

As for you I think you may need to take more than a week off. There is no way you are going to be able to lift the gurney into the rig. I mean I'm sure the gurney alone weighs more than 20#. So there is no way you'll be able to do your job after 4 days. I mean think of it, if there was a life and death emergency are you really going go sit back and not help? But if you do you'll risk tearing a suture and possibly giving ypurself a hernia

I agree...you will need more than 4 days to recover. I was still not feeling like myself until about 5 weeks after surgery. I had a hiatal hernia fixed so that can explain why it took me a little longer, but from what I've read on this forum, most people need at least 2-3 weeks to really feel "normal". And you will have a restriction on how much you can lift, regardless of whether or not you have a hernia repaired. As for never seeing a surgeon again, I haven't experienced that...I see my surgeon every time I go back for a checkup. Another dr will be doing my first fill at the hospital this week, but after that, fills will be done by my surgeon in his office. You will have a lot of post-op checkups though...so if you can't take time off, that could be a problem.

Good luck to you! I hope everything works out.

Yeah I didn't touch on never seeing your surgeon again. The PA and the surgeon switch off seeing me, so every other month I see my surgeon. And as for post op appointments. I was told I will go every month for the first year, every 3 months, the second year, I think twice the third year and then just once a year there after

You don't have to tell your employers what kind of surgery it is -just say it's personal. You need proper time to heal. My doc said no driving for 5 days and no heavy lifting. Everyone recovers differently, but you will be sore for at least a week. You'll have stiches too-so you don't wantto lift things and risk popping them open. I am almost 2 weeks past surgery and some of my stitches are still in. Plus you don't have a surgery date yet-you are assuming that it will be right away and that's not always the case. Some people have to wait 6 months for insurance reasons and your doctor may not have an opening any time soon. I am wondering if it would be better to have it done when you are goingto school, since you won't be working. If school means sitting in a classroom-you could do that much sooner and then you won't have to worry about lifting-plus school might be more understanding about you just having surgery (just a thought). Good luck!

4 days=no way. You will need more time for heavy lifting. Also if by chance you have a hernia repaired that will also probably add time to your recovery. Lots of people end up with a hernia repair.

A friend of mine had lap band plus hernia reapir. His work is very heavy maybe a little more than yours. He missed 4 full weeks of work.

All seminars will be different. There was only myself and two other people at mine.

I also did not have a pain pump. I had pain pills that I took for 3 days. After that the pain was managable.

I returned to work on day 5 after my surgery. I do no heavy work at all. I still took it a little easy for the first week back at work.

Hope this helps you! Sorry it is not what you want to hear.

It took me a good week to week and 1/2 to feel "normal" The pain from them blowing up our abdoman was the worst feeling and pain I had, the actual incision sight was not painful. I am glad they informed me over and over again that I was feel dicomfort from the trapped air. BOY DID I, in the chest and left shoulder. you recover pretty quickly from this procedure and i would do it over and over again, best chocie I ever made. 1 1/2 months post op and down 26lbs. Listen to your body and take the time you need to heal. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

That's Impossible ! No surgeon would even allow you to go back to work ! If you tear yourself, You will end up in a Hospital anyway. You don't need a Hernia with that type of job. Lifting is out the question then, for most people permanently. I know it took 3 surgeries for my surgeon to finally dig it out.

Still No Heavy Lifting for LIFE !

You would e better off if you took some vacation time, or told them that you have a medical condition at home that is going to need some time. Maybe they will give you some time off if you don't want anyone to know. Or tell them the Appendix has got to go. That is understandable, and will not effect your employment.

I don't know what you are thinking, but go to you tube and watch the surgery, maybe then you will understand that this affects a lot of your insides.

My surgeon had me on the table from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m... As he looked around, he found the Lymph Nodes in my Groin swollen, and filled with Blood. He figured Cancer, and was ready to close me up. Well he froze one, cut it out, and sent it to the Lab. Came back normal! Then the same to the other one, and it to was normal. Then he DUG out a HERNIA, Then he did my band. Trust me, I didn't barely feel the band. but,,, I still took care of the surgery on that band. Because it is a must ! That's the bottom line...

Good Luck with whatever you do ! But please think,,,,,,

Shirley.

Thank you all so much, I was only curious! After reading these and going to the seminar I totally understand I need to take 2 weeks off. They said my insurance is great, only requires the minimum of time, like 1-2 months, so that is good. I am thinking that if it all goes through and i'm approved and everything, then i'll take 2 weeks off before I go to school. I can't take the time off once i'm in school and i'll be doing hands on skills and stuff so I want to be as close to 100 percent as possible for that. The reason I don't want to tell my employers is because I don't want them getting their panties all in a bunch and making me retake our lift-test that we have to take when we get hired and then after any injury. It blows, it's torture and it's way beyond what I need to do on a day to day basis at my job, it includes a cardio test too and it just sucks. I had to retake it after I had my last baby and I just don't want to do it again! Plus I don't think it's any of their business.

Jess55, I had to laugh, of course I can't sit back and watch an emergency go down and most of that stuff isn't lifing, so much as bending twisting, running around, etc, that's why I wanted to know if I COULD after only a 4 day recovery. I had no idea about the gas problems and pain and all that stuff, i'm very much a novice to surgery and other then my c-sections, i've never had surgery for anything. I thought laproscopy was much more of a breeze, but I guess it's not THAT much easier of a recovery, lol!