Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low fat chili recipe anyone?

Crock Pot Low Fat Chili

This easy low-fat chili meal is a great anytime! Let it cook while you work and your dinner will be ready when you get home, or slow cook it on the weekend - enjoy your day, and have a hearty bowl of Soup as you relax and unwind for the evening! INGREDIENTS:

• 1 &1/2 lbs. 90% lean (or leaner) Ground Beef, browned and drained (if you really want to cut fat, use turkey burger)
  • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 3/4 cup diced green peppers
  • 28 oz. canned diced or stewed tomatoes (your preference)
  • 16 oz. no-salt added Tomato sauce or puree
  • 2 16 oz. can kidney Beans, drained
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or equivalent minced garlic)
  • 1 cup Water
  • 2 Tbsp. mild chili powder
  • 1 - 2 tsp. cumin (to you taste preference)
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 tsp. seasoned salt or table salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • Low-fat grated cheddar cheese (topping)
  • Fat-Free Sour Cream (topping)

PREPARATION:

Ideal slow cooker: 5 quart or larger

• Brown meat in skillet, add onion and green pepper halfway through browing process, Drain, pour into crock pot
  • Combine all other ingredients in slow cooker/crock pot (except cheese and sour cream toppings)
  • Cook on low 8 - 10 hours, or high 5-6 hours
  • Serve in bowls with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream (if desired) with a side salad.

Nutritional Value: Calories, approx. 265 per serving, Total Fat: 6 g, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugars 8 g, Protein: 18g.

If you want to cut out the fat completely, try Smart Ground in Jenna's recipe instead of the ground beef or ground turkey... it's in the tofu/soy section. It looks like ground beef, but it's vegetarian and fat free. It's great in chili because the seasonings are all that you taste instead of the tofu.

I've never tried tofu in the crock pot, but I know it works great on the stove.

I make a chili with ground buffalo or ground beefalo. It taste a lot better than I thought it could and it can actually help you lower your cholesterol. Its so quick though I just heat and serve. Here it goes.

1 lb browned buffalo

2 packets of taco seasoning

1 tablespoon of ground cumin

2 beef bullion cubes

Cook this together first then dump in

1 large can of chopped stewed tomatoes.

1 can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilis

1 can of pinquintos

1 can of white Beans

1 can of kidney beans

1 can of refried beans( to thicken the mix)

after every thing is mixed in and heated its ready to eat!

you can add any kind of beans you like but the can of refried beans is necessary to make things thick. If you like it hotter, add chili powder to the meat mix, or you can add a can of green chili's, or another can of Rotel tomatoes.

Its almost too easy to call it cooking!

oh yeah salt to taste.

I make my chili with ground chicken breast (not regular ground chicken, make sure it says breast). Throw in your seasonings, load it w/beans and veggies, Tomato paste, ckn broth.... viola !! Chili. Add a can of pumpkin pie for a great flavor.

I love beef chili but the calories are not worth it to me.

Pork is the only way for my chili. I have trouble with beef and chicken way more often than I do with pork. Besides, in this recipe it's much more tasty.

lean pork, cut into chuncks or cubes (shreds easier)

onion

garlic

chili poweder of your favorite type. I'm currently in love with chipotle

cumin (very important for the flavor)

oregino

canned tomatoes (any type you like. I like a whole tomatoe, but that's because I like large pieces of toms). You can also use a jar of salsa instead.

italian crimini mushrooms (aka baby portabellos)

can of back Beans

Throw everything into the crock pot, except for things you don't like (or can't tolorate, like the mushrooms). Set to the lowest setting. go for a walk, or play video games... or what ever floats your boat, including floating your boats.

I make an AWESOME.... White chicken Chili

I throw it together in a crockpot so I don't really have exacts on some things....

2 chicken breasts (boiled then shredded with a fork)

1 pkg wht chick chili from McCormick in the spice aisle

1-2 cups Water depending on what thickness you want

2 cups of frozen white corn

2 cups of frozen green Beans

2 cups of frozen carrots

(get the frozen mixed bag and it works great)

1 large can of White Northern Beans (drained and rinsed)

1 large can of Tomato sauce

1 pinch of cayenne

Simmer on low for 8 hours.

YUMMY!

THANKS TO EVERYONE that posted recipies! I made it last night in my slow cooker and it came out soooooooooooooooooo good! i cant believe it! im so excited... its shocking to me that its low fat bc its sooo good!

thanks again...

Friendly reminder......while you're at the store picking up the ingredience for your chili, don't forget the BEAN-O, if you're anything like me since the surgery.