Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 4 weeks post op and will start solids on monday evening after my 4 week post-op appointment with my surgeon. any suggestions on what to eat ?? I am not sure when my first fill will be, can anyone tell me when they got their first fill or how long after surgery did you have to wait for a fill ? I am nervous about gaining weight while waiting for a fill......

Any info is appreciated !

Thanks and good luck to everyone !

I am 4 weeks post op and start solids on Wed as well! My first fill is scheduled for June 24th (6 weeks post op) and the Doc said I will come back again 2 weeks after that for another fill so I think she is going to take it slow.

Good Luck!

So I am 4 weeks post op and will start solids on monday evening after my 4 week post-op appointment with my surgeon. any suggestions on what to eat ?? I am not sure when my first fill will be, can anyone tell me when they got their first fill or how long after surgery did you have to wait for a fill ? I am nervous about gaining weight while waiting for a fill......

Any info is appreciated !

Thanks and good luck to everyone !

Being on solids is a blessing and a curse! I'm only 10 days post op, yet my doc let me have real food starting week 2, but only 3 meals of 2 oz each. What a tease! Tastes wonderful, but could have easily eaten more. But now I see the logic...it is giving me a training period of taking small bites, putting my fork down between bites, chewing a million times before swallowing, etc!

Last night, my boyfriend and I shared a piece of salmon and a baked potato. I had a little less than 2 oz salmon, and about an ounce of baked potato (skin off). It took me as long to eat mine as it did for him to eat his! And because I am already getting used to still getting most of my Protein from liquid, I'm already adapting to these little tastes. Next week, I get 3 oz., etc.

Regarding food choices, I recommend always going for stuff high in Protein. It is so nice to eat protein, instead of drinking it (my doc says I'll be on 60-80 grams protein a day for life). I haven't done it yet, but if I eat something like Cream of Wheat (healthy but not much protein), I will mix in a scoop of unflavored protein. I have aleady made up puddings and slushies using skim milk, unsweetened koolaid/unsweetened pudding mix, and Protein powder. Great high protein, ready-to-eat Snacks.

For real food protein, I do eggs/egg beaters, cheese, tuna (or any other fish), Beans (lentle Soup is the highest in protein). I also use Cant Believe it's Not Butter spray instead of butter. Even used it when I baked a quiche. By the way, the quiche is delicious, and a 4-inch square is only 142 calories and 18 grams protein (I eat half a piece at a time right now). It freezes well, too. I posted it in this website under "Legal" Company Quiche. My boyfriend made me bean Soup using three kinds of Beans, plus ground turkey and ground lean beef. Delicious! But eating 2 oz. of that was the hardest! Can hardly wait til I can eat 4 oz!

Super good luck to you! Keep up the good work!

What has worked for me is to weigh and measure everything I eat (I have done this from the moment I was able to eat solids). I normally have 3-4 oz Protein and 1/2 cup veggies for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is either eggbeaters with 2% cheese and turkey sausage, greek yogurt or oatmeal. If you feel like you need a snack keep them protein-based like string cheese, greek yogurt, deli slices, etc. I find it helpful to track my food using an app on my Iphone (myfitnesspal) but at a minimum I would track your Protein intake and calories...you want to make sure you are getting enough protein because that will help you feel full longer and will also help keep your energy up (my nutritionist recommends a higher amount that most people are told...80-120 g per day) and you want to make sure you are eating enough calories because too few calories can stall your weight loss.

For me, the first several weeks of solids was about figuring out how my band works best for me. I initially stopped losing weight until I bumped my calories up to over 1,000 per day and after some trial and error I have figured out the calorie range that gives me the best weight loss. I also chose to limit carbs to under 40g per day because I have found that works best for me...again, that is my personal decision. Don't be afraid to play around with things for a while...I know the goal is to lose weight but if you can figure out how to best work your band, you will be successful...