Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI...On my way to slimsville and Scared to death!!

Guest CarmenSC

Guest CarmenSC

Hi. My name is Carmen. I live in Columbia, SC. I've researched WLS for years and fought the decision to go forward but decided in November to pursue surgery and actually have a date 2/16 for a Lap RNY. Since getting a date I have done further research and have an appt tomorrow to discuss the banding instead with my surgeon. I'm scared of thr risks but I need to do something. I welcome any advice and appreciate this forum to learn and have support. :thankyou:

Guest CarmenSC

Thanks for the kind words of support. I'm so wobbly on my decision. Not sure if that's fear or what. I'm sure I will be led to the right decision. Hopefully soon as my date is creeping closer everyday. :help:

Hey Carmen! There are a group of us in Charlotte...go to the NC Forum and you will find lots of our threads there. We have a good time and are happy to share info. One of our group, jttaurus, has decided on the RNY procedure. She would be a good person to talk to, and our support along her journey might be helpful. It's all there in the old threads!

My advice would be if you are wobbly and not at peace, wait. Just a month to have a peaceful spirit about your decision would make a huge difference. I'm partial to the Lap Band, and very happy with my decision. You need to make sure Banding is NOT for you and RNY IS, before you move forward. Whatever you decide, have peace. Read lots!

Let us know what your doc says about banding. I'm always curious what the WL surgeons have to say. You can check his opinions here. I always give honest feedback (most folks here do!) about what I hear. Anyhow, welcome to LBT. Youhave found the support board of your dreams! Even if you choose RNY, wer'e all in the weight loss/ better health game together!

Hello Carmen best of luck in the decision that you make. Please read a posting that I replied to for the person on consultation with surgeon on 2/11/06 and nervous. This might give you a little imput on what I have seen first hand as a nurse to some of the complications with an open rny that they neglect to tell you. Good luck with you WLS.

Hey Carmen!

Welcome to LBT. If you have any doubts - you sure do want to wait on that RNY - once that is done, it's done and there's no going back.

Talk to RNY folks, and talk to Band folks and be sure that you think long and hard before you do either one.

Around these parts - MOST people are pretty Pro-Band - but we do have a few folks who have gone the other way. We love to hear from everybody. I say, whatever works!!

Good Luck in your research.

Hi and welcome.

I went to my first support meeting after surgery last week. It turns out they were all by pass people. They were very supportive of me and asked what made me decide between the bypass and the lapband.

I was very honest and said yes, I could have lost the weight quicker if I had the bypass, but I didn't want anything that drastic. I know I can do it, I just needed help and for me that help was the band.

My husband and I just moved to Florida and he was worried about the bypass because I would for ever have problems eating regular foods and it would effect his life more if I had the by pass then the band. I know this was my surgery, but I am married and needed to take his opinion into the equation.

I now know I made the right decsion.... especially after that support meeting where 18 - 3 years out the bypass people have to worry about getting their Vitamins and still can't enjoy eating regular food in smaller portions.

As I said, this is MY LIFE AND MY OPINION.