Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I was banded May 11, and doing quite well so far... I've just been wondering, I read so much about bandster hell, and how hard it can be to curb your eating until you get some fills and start feeling restriction; I am not going to get my first fill until 7 weeks post-op, and I'm pretty worried about that. I'm still not eating (or wanting) more than about 900-1000 calories a day, so I guess I'm still healing, but when can I expect bandster hell to hit? Is there a pretty usual range of time post-op? I like to know what I can expect so I can be prepared. Please share your experience with me. Thanks!

I think it varies from person to person. I never really experienced bandster hell. I've not gotten really hungry from the get go, sire i get hungry after 4-5 hours but not like starving unless i go a long time between meals, and had my first fill, a little one, 5 months post op. But from what I've read, it could start a day after surgery, or up to a couple weeks post op.

Be GLAD you haven't experienced it so far! And you might not at all... we have people here who got banded, never needed a fill, and lost like crazy. For me, I started feeling the hell around 3 weeks post-op. My hunger came back at 1 week but it was easy to quell... around 3 weeks was when it really kicked in for me.

As already said, everyone is different. "Hell" for me started only a few days after surgery. I hope you continue to feel satisfied with your small meals. I wouldn't get a fill until that stops, you don't want to be too tight, that is just miserable (been there done that). Keep up the good work!

Yep, unfortunately it's different for everyone. So there really isn't anything for you to prepare for, other than to be aware that it may happen. Mine happened in about my 4th week. I was hungry - like REALLY hungry every two hours. The thing to remember if you do experience bandster hell, is just to keep measureing your portions. You may not feel full, but you'll be able to get through. I had my first fill in my 5th week, so I didn't have too long of bandster hell.

I also recommend eating very small Snacks (like 100 cal or less) of Protein during the bandster hell. I found my hunger to return every 2 hours so I would eat Breakfast, then mid morning have a Protein snack (cheese, HB egg, chobani yogurt etc) that would get me through to my next meal and then I would of course concentrate on getting my protein in for my meal. I would have aprox 300 calories per meal and 100 for Snacks 2x per day and I would be ok at around 1000-1100 calories per day. It got me through.

Good luck.

The first week after surgery was great - I got filled with very little! This is week 2 and I am hungrier and can easily eat more. I am trying to stick to the diet and I do wait an hour after eating before drinking any Water. This is what I would call Bandster Hell. I am not replying on the band to reduce my hunger. basically, I am dieting on my own. I'll get a fill in 4 weeks-that seems like such a long time, but I can do this!! Also, the first fill might not get me to that point-so BH might last a little longer.

I think going into surgery you have to realize that for at least the first 55-6 weeks you will be dieting on your own (maybe longer) depending on when you reach that "sweet spot." This time period is all about patience and Portion Control.< /p>