Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band has been too tight for the past month and I've pretty much thrown up everything I've put in my mouth...thus losing 22 lbs in 6 weeks. Two days ago I went in and had .25cc taken out of my band and still today I'm having trouble getting anything more than mushies down. They checked my band...no slip, no erosion, everything looked fine. My question is, can all this throwing up I'm doing cause problems in other areas like my esophagus or cause any hernias or ulcers? Things just aren't feeling right and even though I love the weight loss, I know losing that much that fast isn't very healthy. Any advice????

I had the same issue, I made an apointment and had some removed. You may need a little more taken out. You should do the liquid/mushie thing for a couple of days and see if the swelling goes down. I think throwing up tightens up your band. If it doesn't, go in for another unfill. Don't wait for your next apointment, you don't want to increase your chances of a slip. I am at a really good spot right now, very good restriction, can only eat not quite a cup of food but if I don't take 30 minutes to eat my meal... I will have problems. I have come to learn that the size of my bite and the speed I eat matter way more than what I'm eating. I seem to be able to eat anything as long as I eat slow enough.

I had that problem too. went in for an unfill, he took too much out and I gained about 4lbs within 5-6 wks. went back and had some put back in again and quess what? a little too tight again. at first I was vomiting up everything. Now, it only bothers me at night (acid reflux) bad. coughing and clearing my throat all night. trying to hold on for 1 more wk to see the doc and take just a little bit more out. hopefully this will set me where I need to be.

That also happened to me..went for an unfill and they took out too much so I gained 3 lbs in a few weeks so I went back in for a fill and they filled me up! I'm only 3 lbs away from my goal so I'm trying to get it to where I want it to be. At this point I'm just trying to keep food down!

I just had my third fill Saturday and can't keep anything thicker than Water down. I do ok with water, tea, coffee, and broth, and premixed shakes but home made shakes, creamy Soups, malt O meal all make me vomit. I don't know anyone that does fills in my area and really don't have the money to fly back to Dallas (since I just returned from there). Not sure whether to just wait and only eat Clear Liquids until my next appointment in 1 month or go back. I guess as long as I get the shakes in and keep myself from vomiting there really is no harm.

I had the same exact thing happen to me went in for a unfill they put to much in, then went back in b/c I was starving to death and they put a little more back in but not as much as they had previously taken out. Then I started getting sick with just Water so I went in a couple of times in the same week and they took a little out and I was still getting sick so the third time I went in they emptied my band. I have to wait 10 weeks and get another upper GI before they will give me another fill. It really sucks. My doc told me that my insides need time to heal after all the getting sick which is why I have to wait the 10 weeks. I am trying to stick to my one cup of food and have only gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks. Hopefully I can maintain and not gain anymore. Don't keep the band too tight like it sounds like it is b/c it can cause problems. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Are you actually throwing up (vomiting), or are you brining up stuck foods/saliva?

Totally different answers in terms of other damage that can be caused, what to do, etc. Need to know what's actually happening...

Vomiting and Productive Burping as some call it is completely different thing. In your pouch you dont have stomach acid and you will only bring back what you have ate. Vomiting will be tremendously painful what ever comes out of your stomach will have to pass through the band area and out of your throat. You will burning from the stomach acid. When you have both happen you will know the difference. When food blocks the band you will have BP. Due to the band being to tight, not chewing food enough, eating to fast, and other reasons. My band changes when I am on my cycle. And other things cause the band to change.

My last fill was .25cc 3wees ago. Making a total of 6.25cc in my band. The first week I had good restriction. The second week I flew from San Antonio to Tampa and stayed there a week. I was able to eat anything, almost ate a 12oz steak with no full fealing. Flew home last Wednesday and started my cycle and now having issues eating cotage cheese. What's the deal. Going to try to see if it goes away when my visitor goes away. NOTE: night cough and not being able to swollow Water are sighns of slips. If persist see your doc.

PaulaSA

230/181/150

blk-weight.png

Vomiting and Productive Burping as some call it is completely different thing. In your pouch you dont have stomach acid and you will only bring back what you have ate. Vomiting will be tremendously painful what ever comes out of your stomach will have to pass through the band area and out of your throat. You will burning from the stomach acid. When you have both happen you will know the difference. When food blocks the band you will have BP. Due to the band being to tight, not chewing food enough, eating to fast, and other reasons. My band changes when I am on my cycle. And other things cause the band to change.

My last fill was .25cc 3wees ago. Making a total of 6.25cc in my band. The first week I had good restriction. The second week I flew from San Antonio to Tampa and stayed there a week. I was able to eat anything, almost ate a 12oz steak with no full fealing. Flew home last Wednesday and started my cycle and now having issues eating cotage cheese. What's the deal. Going to try to see if it goes away when my visitor goes away. NOTE: night cough and not being able to swollow Water are sighns of slips. If persist see your doc.

PaulaSA

230/181/150

blk-weight.png

OMG... I'm so glad you posted this because I was wondering the same thing about my cycle. I have only had a few since getting the band but it definately seems to get tight... Thought I was just crazy. I had my fill fleww 2 times in 3 days and started my cycle and as for me I guess I am actually burping up everything. Not painful but frustrating. I went in today (found someone in my area) and they took out .3ml and it has made a BIG difference. I ate about 1/4 cup of mushies and that is the first solid I have had since my fill on Saturday.

Are you actually throwing up (vomiting), or are you brining up stuck foods/saliva?

Totally different answers in terms of other damage that can be caused, what to do, etc. Need to know what's actually happening...

I didn't know there was a difference butm mine is definately productive burping.

my period seems to make a difference when it wants to. seems to have a mind of its own.

OMG... I'm so glad you posted this because I was wondering the same thing about my cycle. I have only had a few since getting the band but it definately seems to get tight... Thought I was just crazy. I had my fill fleww 2 times in 3 days and started my cycle and as for me I guess I am actually burping up everything. Not painful but frustrating. I went in today (found someone in my area) and they took out .3ml and it has made a BIG difference. I ate about 1/4 cup of mushies and that is the first solid I have had since my fill on Saturday.

I'm not actually vomiting, just PB'ing just about every solid food I eat. I can handle some things like angel hair Pasta, crab legs, and fish but some days I have a hard time with even mashed potatoes. There's no stomach acid when it all comes back up so all I'm worried about is a slippage. Last week when I went for my unfill they said everything looked great...but I just want to be able to eat somewhat normal!

re: "but I just want to be able to eat somewhat normal! "

WARNING!!!

With installation of the Lap Band, there is a NEW "somewhat normal".

Now 6 1/2 years postOp, my own beloved Symbiant, my Little Angel of the Silicon Fist, at times is touchy, not totally predictable and somewhat finicky, not unlike a headstrong child.

With more experience as a Bandster, the quirky aspect of what will and what won't work for the day. I have not observed any given pattern to these variances, and being male have no issue with a monthly cycle.

If by "somewhat normal' you mean "able to eat a wide range of foods and enjoy food without being obsessed with huge amounts that led to over eating and Morbid Obesity in the first place", the overwhelming trend IS for that to occur.

And yes, there are issues we must learn to identify and manage by adapting our eating behavior accordingly. I haven't heard of any Bandster posting without some minor unpredicted glitches in the daily routine now and then.

Learning how to manage our New Bandster Life Style leads to greater satisfaction. Recognizing there are phases we all tend to encounter helped me manage my own expectations.

Recognizing "too tight" and "too loose" is as important as learning "hungry" and "NOT hungry" in modifying our eating behavior.

"Hunger" for me for far too long, was like a draft horse showing up to drag me willingly or not to the buffet line.

Bandster Life taught me how to saddle up that pony and ride my hunger to where I wanted to go with it. Surprised at what I found, was I didn't always have to use my eating shovel. A few teaspoons of food provided the satiety Normos follow in their eating patterns.

I had the same issue, I made an apointment and had some removed. You may need a little more taken out. You should do the liquid/mushie thing for a couple of days and see if the swelling goes down. I think throwing up tightens up your band. If it doesn't, go in for another unfill. Don't wait for your next apointment, you don't want to increase your chances of a slip. I am at a really good spot right now, very good restriction, can only eat not quite a cup of food but if I don't take 30 minutes to eat my meal... I will have problems. I have come to learn that the size of my bite and the speed I eat matter way more than what I'm eating. I seem to be able to eat anything as long as I eat slow enough.

Agree and relate to where you are at. After my second fill I really found out what true restriction meant. (Now @ 7cc). Eating slowly now is a must and I mean slowly. Sommetimes I don't have the time and grab a Premier Protein shake ( from Costco). I have 2 young kids.....I do try to sit down and eat with my kids, but they always finish way before me. I'm a single Mom, so I'm busy, but at least now I can keep up better after losing weight (55 pds so far). Thanks.

Hi, I am new to the fourm but I wanted to say that based on what I am reading, I have all the classic symptoms of over fill. I went in last week and my doc put 1.6cc in my band and since then, I have thrown up almost every piece of food I have tried to eat. I have managed to keep saltine crackers, a bit of chicken, broth, grits, and a bit of eggs. coffee, tea, milk and Water down. I am also experiencing the night cough thing and to me that is worse than not being able to eat. I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get 'unfilled' I am hoping to take out what they put in, wait until my next followup--end of July, and maybe have him but 1/2 the amount back. I have thrown up more this week than the entire 2 years since I have had my band. I feel so stupid because I asked to be 'cinched' up because I was eating a bit more that I thought I should.