Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting the band out...what's the procedure?

sorry to hear about your shoulder pain. First I would suggest you see a GI Doctor. He can runs "MORE TEST" you may have acid reflux.. Sometimes feflux will make you hurt EVERYWHERE. Keep me posted becky concerned mother

I may be able to help, a little...

Last month I was diagnosed with a "profound" band slip. Yet oddly enough, did not have many of the typical symptoms (I believe it slipped in 2008, when the symptoms I do have started appearing). I am currently pursuing band removal, and revision to the sleeve.

If you are self-pay, band removal is just another operation. If you are going through insurance, you will need to have documentation verifying that the removal is medically necessary. That is assuming the removal procedure (there is a CPT code for removal of lap-band and associated parts, but I don't have it on hand) is approved. You can find that CPT code and verify with your insurance.

I'm at the "proving it's medically necessary" stage. We have the xrays that show the slip. I have almost 3 years' worth of off and on documentation of the same complaints (because I didn't have "typical" symptoms, I was first treated as an overfill... until we got down to less than .25cc... and then I was treated as someone who just needed to eat differently... it was ridiculous.) My insurance company requires an EGD as part of the proof of medical necessity -- I'm scheduled for that next week. From what I've been told, that's pretty much the last step prior to approval.

They are also submitting for a revision to VSG (vertical sleeve gastroectomy - or "the sleeve") at the same time. Because of the nature of my slip, my surgeon is not considering my a candidate for re-banding. And with the laughable re-banding sucess rates, I would not consider it an option for myself. I'm not jumping with joy at the thought of a sleeve, but I need something... I can't be rebanded... I do not want a malabsorptive procedure... I do want something with some history of good success... well, the sleeve definitely wasn't my first choice but options are few.

NYC_Gal, from what I have read & been told (by sleeved people) the recovery is not that much different. It's the same 2 - 3 weeks as the band, with some people returning within a week. It seems like most people perk up on day 3 - 4. I was OK the day after my band, and fine day 2. If it takes me 4 days instead of 2 days, I won't really think twice about the difference. Also, unless your self pay, there really is no approval from your surgeon - unless you just mean he agreed to do your surgery. Your approval will need to come from insurance (again, moot if you're self pay).

Band - sleeve revisions are quite a bit risker than "virgin" sleeves. Adhesions and scar tissue can cause some complications. The pain afterward can be significant -- our ports were sewn in so as not to come back out, and sometimes have to be dug out a bit. Some surgeons will revise in one procedure - others require a waiting period (usually because of swelling and the way it can "hide" leaks). I haven't yet spoken with my surgeon so I'm not entirely sure which way he goes.

HTH