Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting the band out...what's the procedure?

I found this thread last night and I just stared in disbelief:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/35169-left-shoulder-pain/

I have had horrible pain in my left shoulder since I woke up from surgery. I went on my doctor's office's forum and asked and asked and people always dismissed me. Some people said it was "gas" and I read that in a few posts on here as well..... my surgery was 2 years ago last month and I deal with this pain at least 5 days a week. I can't even tell you how many times its cut my day short and I've had to leave wherever I was.... most recently a friend's Memorial Day party... to go home and get a heating pad on my shoulder. The pain is unbearable. I've said from day 1 I must've been moved the wrong way on or from the operating table, or something got pinched, a nerve, or whatever.... because this has never been "gas" pain.

My lap band experience has been awful. Finding out about this "common" shoulder pain and that I pretty much did it to myself when I got the band is just the last straw in a very difficult 2 years.

I want to know, what is the process for getting your band out? Is it the same as getting it put in? Do I have to see a million doctors again to get approval?

OMG... I get a jabbing pain in my left shoulder. I actually went to the chiropractor for it cuz I thought it was a pinched nerve. It got better but now (4 weeks later) it's the same as it was. Well... that's interesting.

I would guess having your band removed would be the same as having it put in...just in reverse. But since you have moved, why not try a lapband doctor in Vegas? It can't hurt. As for the shoulder pain, have you gone to a chiropractor? I know alot of people think that chiropractics is voodoo but those are probably the same people that think lapband is a cheaters way out. My chiropractor worked miracles with that pain after my surgery.

I would guess having your band removed would be the same as having it put in...just in reverse. But since you have moved, why not try a lapband doctor in Vegas? It can't hurt. As for the shoulder pain, have you gone to a chiropractor? I know alot of people think that chiropractics is voodoo but those are probably the same people that think lapband is a cheaters way out. My chiropractor worked miracles with that pain after my surgery.

There's no doubt in my mind, the shoulder pain is directly related to my band. I read in the forum I posted that it has to do with a nerve being aggravated or damaged when the band is placed. I don't know how, but it makes sense. Its felt like a pinched nerve. I also found out from my 2nd doc (who I was with until I moved) that the coil between my port and band is fairly long and its kind of messily placed. I don't think a chiropractor can do anything for me, only because if its nerve damage or something implanted that's touching or irritating the nerve, what can they really do? I don't know, I'm certainly not against seeing one and I was actually about to search for one when I stumbled across the forum!

I do have a new doc in my current location. I just personally do not think the band has worked out for me. I've been dealing with a lot of random stomach pain, being able to eat something one day and not being able to tolerate it the next or having entire days where I have trouble eating anything at all. Its been so inconsistent and frustrating and no one has an answer for me except to play around with how much is in my band. Its to a point where I'd rather go without it. Finding out that the shoulder pain....which has been a huge, huge problem.. is a result of this surgery is kind of like the last straw for me.

I'm just dreading if I have to make all the doctor's appointments again just to get it out because my wedding is in 5 months! I'm so uncomfortable now, I can't bear the thought of feeling this way during my honeymoon.

There's no doubt in my mind, the shoulder pain is directly related to my band. I read in the forum I posted that it has to do with a nerve being aggravated or damaged when the band is placed. I don't know how, but it makes sense. Its felt like a pinched nerve. I also found out from my 2nd doc (who I was with until I moved) that the coil between my port and band is fairly long and its kind of messily placed. I don't think a chiropractor can do anything for me, only because if its nerve damage or something implanted that's touching or irritating the nerve, what can they really do? I don't know, I'm certainly not against seeing one and I was actually about to search for one when I stumbled across the forum!

I do have a new doc in my current location. I just personally do not think the band has worked out for me. I've been dealing with a lot of random stomach pain, being able to eat something one day and not being able to tolerate it the next or having entire days where I have trouble eating anything at all. Its been so inconsistent and frustrating and no one has an answer for me except to play around with how much is in my band. Its to a point where I'd rather go without it. Finding out that the shoulder pain....which has been a huge, huge problem.. is a result of this surgery is kind of like the last straw for me.

I'm just dreading if I have to make all the doctor's appointments again just to get it out because my wedding is in 5 months! I'm so uncomfortable now, I can't bear the thought of feeling this way during my honeymoon.

You really need to talk to Elfeepoo. She had her band removed a couple of months ago due to phrenic nerve pain in her shoulder that was caused by her band rubbing against her diaphragm. She can certainly explain to you what causes it and what she had to go through to have her band removed. She isn't on LBT very often these days, but she does pop in from time to time so you might want to send her a PM.

Good luck to you!

It really depends on your insurance. You can call and they'll be able to tell you what you need to do, as would a surgeon's office. I have United Healthcare for the Railroad, and I wouldn't have had to do ANYTHING other than call and make an appt for the surgeon, and they would have done a few typical preop screens to get it removed. (I'm getting a revision to a sleeve though, so I have to do everything all over again.)

GOOD LUCK!

Research the vagus nerve. It's extremely tied in to our stomachs, bands and digestion - but also emits pain signals to referred areas of the body such as the shoulder & head ("brain freeze" is thought to be caused by cold substances chilling the vaug nerve, for example.) Soft stop syndromes are generally attributed to the vagus nerve as well (sighing, sneezing, watery eyes, etc.)

My father had a lapband put in about 3 years ago. I have posted his story here before, but in short -- after months and months of vomiting (not PBing, actually vomiting), weird PBs... he started vomiting "brown stuff" as he put it. This progressed and he was continuously treated as though he was too tight, or doing something wrong and needing to correct his behavior. He started having pretty significant left shoulder pain, and mentioned that to his surgeon, but it never seemed to be taken seriously. They eventually did a swallow test and at that time, everything passed normally do they did not think it was his band. His vomiting progressed to the point that he was vomiting continuously, 20 - 30 times a day -- more if he tried to eat or drink anything. He was hospitalized and diagnosed with gastroparesis -- partially paralyzed stomach. Anything, including saliva from swallowing, would cause violent vomiting. After 3 days at his local hospital they xferred his care to his band surgeon, who eventually removed the band - which had slipped profusely by that time. The minute he woke up from surgery he was fine, and has not had any nausea or vomiting since. (He has been re-banded).

The surgeon denies this (of course) but I think the band put pressure on his vagus nerve, and either the sustained irritation, or a combination of the irritation and side effects from the vomiting and stuff he was going through, led to the gastroparesis. Bad stuff.

Gas does cause shoulder pain. I get it from surgery. But it's not horrible, and it goes away. If you have shoulder pain, particularly left shoulder pain, that persists - don't take it lightly. Gas pain goes away. Vagus nerve complications get worse.

I notice if I over eat I get left shoulder pain that hurts like hell! As a matter of fact I have it currently :( I was gonna talk to my dr about it next week when I go in for a fill.

I notice if I over eat I get left shoulder pain that hurts like hell! As a matter of fact I have it currently :( I was gonna talk to my dr about it next week when I go in for a fill.

I dont get left shoulder pain BUT i do throw up A LOT!!! It's making me angry when I spoke to my DR, he told me.."Maybe, sometimes, but really never".... LIAR!!!! I throw up almost daily at least once a day, I am either puking or spitting getting ready to puke...and I eat small bites, and I am careful...

:(

If you are throwing up daily then it could be one of a number of things.

Eating too big bites and not chewing properly - but you have already stated it is not this.

Not waiting long enough between bites.

Eating too much

Eating foods that do not agree with your band e.g tough dry meat, foods with skin etc.

Once you have eliminated all these then the only other thing that it is likely to be is a too tight band.Either that or a slip but we won't consider worst case scenario's for now.

Once you have figured out that you are doing everything right then you need to go back to your Dr - you probably need a small unfill.

I guess I'll update-

I saw my doc- he actually told me that he's "surprised there aren't more people who come in with my same complaints"- (the shoulder pain & such) The way the band is placed, its pressing around 2 nerves and I guess in some people it will cause issues and in others it won't at all. Lucky me!

He approved the surgery immediately because I had been in the office complaining about pain in the port area before......that pain has gotten worse, even in the week since I last saw him.

So now I'm just waiting around to see if I'm going to have to pay anything up front or not.

I was told by him and another girl in the office, if I'm considering having another surgery done, like the sleeve, I might as well get it done at the same time. I read a little about the sleeve and heard it takes awhile to recover. Hm....

Hi!

I've had the stupid shoulder pain for 4 years and I have found myself laying on the floor at work under the conference room table crying in pain. But no more, this band is coming out in two weeks!!

http://www.lapbandta...-shoulder-pain/

I have had horrible pain in my left shoulder since I woke up from surgery. I went on my doctor's office's forum and asked and asked and people always dismissed me. Some people said it was "gas" and I read that in a few posts on here as well..... my surgery was 2 years ago last month and I deal with this pain at least 5 days a week. I can't even tell you how many times its cut my day short and I've had to leave wherever I was.... most recently a friend's Memorial Day party... to go home and get a heating pad on my shoulder. The pain is unbearable. I've said from day 1 I must've been moved the wrong way on or from the operating table, or something got pinched, a nerve, or whatever.... because this has never been "gas" pain.

My lap band experience has been awful. Finding out about this "common" shoulder pain and that I pretty much did it to myself when I got the band is just the last straw in a very difficult 2 years.

I want to know, what is the process for getting your band out? Is it the same as getting it put in? Do I have to see a million doctors again to get approval?

http://www.lapbandta...-shoulder-pain/