Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In my country we Don't have much support after LB, Can I get some help?

Hello,

I'm totally new to this site, it's even my first time being part of any online community. But I know you guys can help since I don;t have much support from my doctor here and I need some advice....

I got banded on the 4th of January 2011, my surgeon said 1st month only liquids, so during the 1st month I lost 7 k.g which is 15.4 Pounds, and then I had my first fill (you guys always mention how much cc you got, but I have no idea cause my sergeon never get in any details :(

So a month after the surgery I got my first fill, and for a whole month I lost nothing, i stayed at the same weight, then two month post op. I got my second fill and then I lost 4 k.g which is 8.8 pounds. Then I had my 3rd a final fill on the 2nd of April 2011 and ever since I haven't lost but 2.5 k.g which is 5.5 pounds :(

My problem started after my last fill two months ago, sometimes I would be able to eat normally, sometimes not... I sometimes even throw up liquids or soup... I was barely eating or eating only chips cause that's the only thing that wouldn't get stuck , I stayed that way for 3 weeks... and to make it even worse is that I wasn't losing any weight....

After that i was able to eat, and from time to time I would throw up for stupid reasons... like today I felt like I wasn't gonna be able to eat, so I got chips, and I ate a little bit of it, then threw the whole thing up, and then 10 mins later threw up again that nasty liquid from the stomach... it was awaful and it hurts...

I hear you guys talking bout talkng to your doc, but mine is only the sergeon, and he barely give any answers, you guys say you have lap bandnutritionist, here in my country we don't... So i got a couple of questions if you can plz help:

1- why I sometimes can or can;t eat normally, although I chew well?? And why have I been throwing up more and more after my last fill?

2- it's killing me that after all this pain, and now that I barely eat, am still not losing weight, why? Is it because my day is very lazy? if i exercize will I lose weight? my brother said that it's the body defense mechanisim because i'm not eating so much like before, so my body hold on to the food, he said I need to excersize, is it true? did your doctors say that?

3- If you;re gonna say you're too tight (about me getting PB or food stuck), what does that mean to be too tight?? and what does have to do with me not losing weight?

4- Why during this month I'm getting dizzy alot? and then my heart starts beating fast? Do I need to see a nutrionist?

5- Please if you have any Questions or advices that you wanna give me, anything plz would be extremly helpful, I'm really struggling and i don't know what to do... my dad is on my case bout how I'll never lose weight and it's killing me I want to prove him wrong and lose weight just like the second fill when I lost 4 k.g :(

"After that i was able to eat, and from time to time I would throw up for stupid reasons... like today I felt like I wasn't gonna be able to eat, so I got chips, and I ate a little bit of it, then threw the whole thing up, and then 10 mins later threw up again that nasty liquid from the stomach... it was awaful and it hurts..."

Even though you are chewing well, you still maybe eating too fast. Eat something and chew really well, but take a minute and then take another bite. Even though you are chewing well, you can still get stuck eating too fast.

1- why I sometimes can or can;t eat normally, although I chew well?? And why have I been throwing up more and more after my last fill?

You maybe too tight. Just a slight unfill can help more than you know. Even though your doctor is a surgeon, call him and tell him your problem and tell him about the unfill (.2cc or so).

2- it's killing me that after all this pain, and now that I barely eat, am still not losing weight, why? Is it because my day is very lazy? if i exercize will I lose weight? my brother said that it's the body defense mechanisim because i'm not eating so much like before, so my body hold on to the food, he said I need to excersize, is it true? did your doctors say that?

You're not losing weight because if you are barely eating, your body is in starvation mode. It thinks you are starving and is going to keep the fat in your body to survive. That's why eating a good amount of calories and exercise is essential to the program. Use a free calorie journal like fitday.com to keep up with your calories. If you are getting too low of calories, you aren't going to lose weight. I keep mine between 1000-1200 a day.

3- If you;re gonna say you're too tight (about me getting PB or food stuck), what does that mean to be too tight?? and what does have to do with me not losing weight?

All that I said above. It's a balance. Your band is a certain size, like mine will only take 10cc of saline at the maximum. Most people don't get close to their max. Mine is at 7.5cc and even though I need slight fill, it still is close to restriction. You want to be able to eat a good amount of Protein / veggies, etc and not get stuck or slime and not be hungry too soon.

4- Why during this month I'm getting dizzy alot? and then my heart starts beating fast? Do I need to see a nutrionist?

You are not eating enough.

5- Please if you have any Questions or advices that you wanna give me, anything plz would be extremly helpful, I'm really struggling and i don't know what to do... my dad is on my case bout how I'll never lose weight and it's killing me I want to prove him wrong and lose weight just like the second fill when I lost 4 k.g :(

You're going to get there. Don't let anyone give you a hard time about this. You have to get to the point where the band works for you. You're struggling now, but in the end it will work out.

First off, YES! excersise will help you loose weight, not to mention all the other benefits. I think your brother is right about you not eating enough. Your body can go into "starvation mode" where it hangs on to body fat. I also think you are a bit too tight. It's not normal to have all that throwing up. It's probably gotten worse because the vomiting causes swelling and it''s then a vicious cycle (more throwing up, more swelling). Being to tight means your band is too tight for food to go through it. I think it has to do with loosing weight because your not holding on to enough calories. I would see your doc. and talk to him/her about a slight unfill. In the meantime, you might want to try soft foods like refried Beans, apple sauce, cottage cheese. They may stay down better. Also, you can drink protien shakes if they are available where you are. I have found a diet low in both carbohydrates (chips, bread, Pasta, fruit) and fat works really well. I eat lots of lean meat and veggies. Usually eggs for Breakfast. Hope this helps and hope that you feel better soon.

You're going to get there. Don't let anyone give you a hard time about this. You have to get to the point where the band works for you. You're struggling now, but in the end it will work out.

Thank you so much Juliat, that was so helpful and so encouraging.... Good luck to you too :)

Thanx for your answer as well... I made an appointment with my doc and I might get a slight unfill, and also today is my first day in aerobics class ;)

Hi Saro and welcome. The other two posters are giving you good advice. You also need to speak to your DR and let him know everything.

I wish you good luck and don't let Dad get you down. You can do this.

Exercise is always good. I hope you fell better soon. Don't push yourself while you are still having dizzy spells.