Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill, What to Expect?

Hi, yesterday I had my first fill. It felt so weird as the dr. Was poking around to find my port. I think he said he put in 2cc not sure what size band I have. He said it was kind of a significant fill. So after the fill he has me go into the lobby area and the receptionist hands me a cup and drink Water to test the it goes down. Water went down ok. What if it hadn't though? What if I spewed water all over the lobby? Lol I think they should ask the patients to drink it in the exam room just in case this happens to save from embarrassment. So anyway when I drank the water instantly I felt a tightness in my chest, like air was stuck in there. I have had this feeling frequently before I even got the fill. It just seemed a bit more aggressive after the fill. I have a co worker who had gastric bypass and she says that she often gets this feeling as well. She said that she take a chewable tab that is like gas x. So I guess I have just accepted that I will have this feeling often for the rest of my life. It feels like there is a burp that won't come out. I know a lot of people experience this right after surgery from the gas they put in you but how about since being banded in general? Some have said this happens when they are too tight but i havent had any restriction and this happened. My other question is what should I expect to be different since being filled? I know that some people do liquid for a couple days after. My surgeon said no more shakes just 3 meals a day. He said that I need to get ready and get used to living a "normal" and healthy life. Not to really snack in between as well. So I'm a bit worried that it won't be enough to hold me over. He also said that I can take it slow and do soft food for the firt couple days. Before I would fill up on a few onces of food but 2-3 hours later I would feel starving. I am hoping this will hold me longer. I know everone's experiences are not all the same but I would like to hear some and compare to maybe form a picture of what I might be in for. Thanks! Any advice welcome.

Weird that your doc had you go to the waiting room for Water. Once my dic had me sit up from my fill he handed my a cup of Water and had me drink it. I didn't even feel it when my doc gave me the fill. I had found it weird when I read that some docs numb you, I'd thought why would you want to be stuck twice. But my doc didn't use lidocaine and I didn't feel it.

As for what you feel after it, not sure if it will be the same for you, I had my fill after 5 months because I had just started feeling hungry between meals, so I have really had restriction from the get go. It's only been one week since my fill but I feel like it is holding me longer. Not getting hungry between meals anymore. Back to where I was previously I feel. As for most people I've heard the first fill doesn't do that much a lot of times.

My comment is about snacking. I know many doctors seem to say no snacking, but I have found it works really well for me. I eat something about every 2-3 hours. I believe it keeps your metabolism going, every time you eat it gets "fired up". I think the trick is to make them planned Snacks that fit into your eating program. I eat low fat cheese sticks, nuts, berries, beef Jerky for snacks. Just what works for me. Take Care.

Weird that your doc had you go to the waiting room for Water. Once my dic had me sit up from my fill he handed my a cup of Water and had me drink it. I didn't even feel it when my doc gave me the fill. I had found it weird when I read that some docs numb you, I'd thought why would you want to be stuck twice. But my doc didn't use lidocaine and I didn't feel it.

As for what you feel after it, not sure if it will be the same for you, I had my fill after 5 months because I had just started feeling hungry between meals, so I have really had restriction from the get go. It's only been one week since my fill but I feel like it is holding me longer. Not getting hungry between meals anymore. Back to where I was previously I feel. As for most people I've heard the first fill doesn't do that much a lot of times.

Thank you for sharing. I am 6 weeks post op. You are lucky that you were doing well enough for that long with out it. That is definitely an accomplishment. I experienced some of the "bandsters hell" while waiting for the first fill. As for the lidocaine I agree, my doc didn't offer it and I didn't think the needle was that bad. The wiggling of the port just felt so strange to me. Do you know how many cc's you got?

I got 0.75 cc. When I was there I was thinking, that's so little, but now I'm thinking it was all I needed

My comment is about snacking. I know many doctors seem to say no snacking, but I have found it works really well for me. I eat something about every 2-3 hours. I believe it keeps your metabolism going, every time you eat it gets "fired up". I think the trick is to make them planned Snacks that fit into your eating program. I eat low fat cheese sticks, nuts, berries, beef Jerky for snacks. Just what works for me. Take Care.

I agree with your theory, I have always heard that its better for you to eat 3 small meals a day and small meals/ snacks in between rather than 3 larger meals with no snacks. I feel like when I do this it makes me want to eat a horse because I have been going longer without food. But for bandsters I guess if we eat in between meals it is called "grazing" and could allow us to take in more calories than we should. I think I am going to try my best to do the meals with no snacking, but carry Protein Bar or cheese just in case so I don't end up wanting to over eat at the next meal.

I got 0.75 cc. When I was there I was thinking, that's so little, but now I'm thinking it was all I needed

That's awesome! Good luck to you on continuing your success!