Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Been denied for weight loss

Hi my name is laura and i was a Critical care nurse before i had a major accident and now I have a spinal cord injury and this weight is hard to carry around. My BMI is 38-39.9 and I am wanting to try and lose 1 lb a week until surgery...thats October, If i could do it that would be 20 lbs.........has anybody been denied because they lost weight and dropped their BMI......this as been a busy time ,I've done everything but the nutrition thing for 6 months......Everyone that has to wait for a 6 month nutrition consult knows it is hard to be patient..... My problem has always been keeping the weight off.......I'm excited that as I lose weight the lap bad will work with me to keep going and keep the weight off. I want to thank all the posters here.....I have learned so much. Hugs laura

Hi my name is laura and i was a Critical care nurse before i had a major accident and now I have a spinal cord injury and this weight is hard to carry around. My BMI is 38-39.9 and I am wanting to try and lose 1 lb a week until surgery...thats October, If i could do it that would be 20 lbs.........has anybody been denied because they lost weight and dropped their BMI......this as been a busy time ,I've done everything but the nutrition thing for 6 months......Everyone that has to wait for a 6 month nutrition consult knows it is hard to be patient..... My problem has always been keeping the weight off.......I'm excited that as I lose weight the lap bad will work with me to keep going and keep the weight off. I want to thank all the posters here.....I have learned so much. Hugs laura

Insurance companies go by the beginning weight.........you will not be denied for losing weight during the supervised months.

Insurance companies go by the beginning weight.........you will not be denied for losing weight during the supervised months.

I am told that your insurance company goes by the first weight that your surgeon logs. I did not face this so I do not know if it is a fact. Best of luck on your journey!!!!!

Laura, my insurance request was submitted and it included the initial weight. My clinic also says that they cannot re-weigh you within 30 days of the initial weight. I don't know for sure about that long out. But, also you are over 35 BMI. Does your insurance cover with morbidities? Maybe you have some morbidities. A lot of people have apnea which is considered one. Also maybe hypertension or diabetis or pre diabetis? Just cover all your bases. Good luck!

You need to check with the nurse that takes care of the Ins. at your surgeons place.

Also contact your ins. company, and find out your own information. Make, and keep notes.

Then compare to what his nurse in ins. said.

Thanks for your answers.....I do think I have nerves on edge with one month down and five to go.....I don't want anything to go wrong after all the consults already done .........my mind and heart is set.....hugs. Laura

Shirley.......You were so right I did call her first thing...she said they take the first weight, and for me not to worry they still would do the surgery.........that takes alot off my mind..... I would really like to focus on some of the things I can change in these next 5 months rather than OMG did I lose a few pounds........as I reflect on my eating habits there are a few things that if i change before the surgery will help me right away........a little candy does not seem so bad........but candy everyday IS a bad thing ...... Starting to drink ice tea and crystal light in the month of June will help me with my diet coke. addiction....... I'm just not good enough to change all my bad habits at the same time.....the candy was hard I took the month of may to get where I'm took all my candy to work( I'm a nurse and believe me that candy lasted 2hours on the break room table) now my house is candy free......they say this is. A journey ........I'm ready ............hugs laura

Shirley.......You were so right I did call her first thing...she said they take the first weight, and for me not to worry they still would do the surgery.........that takes alot off my mind..... I would really like to focus on some of the things I can change in these next 5 months rather than OMG did I lose a few pounds........as I reflect on my eating habits there are a few things that if i change before the surgery will help me right away........a little candy does not seem so bad........but candy everyday IS a bad thing ...... Starting to drink ice tea and crystal light in the month of June will help me with my diet coke. addiction....... I'm just not good enough to change all my bad habits at the same time.....the candy was hard I took the month of may to get where I'm took all my candy to work( I'm a nurse and believe me that candy lasted 2hours on the break room table) now my house is candy free......they say this is. A journey ........I'm ready ............hugs laura

Glad it worked out for you!

Good Health to you, Shirley.