Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss before the surgery

Hi everyone, this is my first time on here. I have read some of the other posts and I think this is a great support. I have one more dr appointment left with the pulmonary dr then it goes to my insurance for approval. I know that weight loss before the surgery is required but does anyone know how much weight you need to lose before the surgery and if you don't lose weight do they cancel the surgery? I started this process in February and know that I need to lose some weight before the surgery but it's been very difficult and now that I know that time is getting closer I'm a little worried because I have not lost any weight.

You are really only required to lose weight iv your doc tells you. So if he never said anything, you really don't have to. It would be good but not required

most surgeons required a pre-op diet, but it's not to loose weight it's to shrink the liver.

This is just the subject i wanted help with. I have a 38-39.9 BMI....i have gone thru everything but the 6 month dietary classes, i have 5 months left till surgery...my question is If i lose 20 lbs before the surgery will they cancel me because my BMI is to low now? I have read so many posts about weight up and weight down but this confuses me. I know it is hard for me to lose even 20 lbs and keep it off, but i want to start getting with the flow now ....thats like a pound a week.....let me know..i'm sure you all have the answers i need.....this is a wonderful site...as soon as i have a question or concern i log on and there is the answer....thanks laura

At my first consult I was told I had to loose 30-34 pounds prior to surgery. So it really depends if your doctor is looking for significant weight loss or just the liver reducing diet. From what I've read on this site most insurances go with the first weight the docto submits from the initial consult. To the person who is at 38 BMI I would ask your specific insurance as most will not cove the sugery below 40.

I lost 45 lbs before surgery. My surgeon then tells me that I have a goal for you in weight loss. So what if I didn't make it? He said then I wouldn't perform surgery on you! So I ask what is the goal (FIGUREING I MUST HAVE MADE IT!) 50 lbs ! But your close, so I guess you tried.

Boy I could have kicked him, because he never told me about this Goal.... Doctors !!!!!

The BMI they are going off of is the STARTING BMI - so the first consultation that they start tracking your weight. If you lose after that and go under that BMI, you're showing that you are a good candidate as you can work to lose with this tool. I asked this question specifically to my Dr and some nurses and they were very encouraging to lose as much as possible before. This will help the surgery and you'll be better off later. Some people will tell you to eat whatever you want and enjoy yourself now, but I'm not even a week post op and I have no regrets of not eating whatever I wanted earlier. I didn't lose a significant amount of weight, but I lost what I could and didn't focus on the numbers. I focused on getting healthier, exercising and learning more about the band.

This is just the subject i wanted help with. I have a 38-39.9 BMI....i have gone thru everything but the 6 month dietary classes, i have 5 months left till surgery...my question is If i lose 20 lbs before the surgery will they cancel me because my BMI is to low now? I have read so many posts about weight up and weight down but this confuses me. I know it is hard for me to lose even 20 lbs and keep it off, but i want to start getting with the flow now ....thats like a pound a week.....let me know..i'm sure you all have the answers i need.....this is a wonderful site...as soon as i have a question or concern i log on and there is the answer....thanks laura

Thanks everyone. I'm going to Dr. Elli in Chicago and I believe at my first appointment he just said I have to weigh less than I did that day. I know it would be better if I lose weight before the surgery and don't want to take the chance of not losing any weight and then the surgery be cancelled. I am just having a really hard time getting motivated to lose the weight I guess. I really need help in this area. I go to my last dr. appointment next Monday then it is submitted to my insurance company for approval, so I know I really have to lose weight NOW. Your support is greatly appreciated. And I wish you all the best!

The BMI they are going off of is the STARTING BMI - so the first consultation that they start tracking your weight. If you lose after that and go under that BMI, you're showing that you are a good candidate as you can work to lose with this tool. I asked this question specifically to my Dr and some nurses and they were very encouraging to lose as much as possible before. This will help the surgery and you'll be better off later. Some people will tell you to eat whatever you want and enjoy yourself now, but I'm not even a week post op and I have no regrets of not eating whatever I wanted earlier. I didn't lose a significant amount of weight, but I lost what I could and didn't focus on the numbers. I focused on getting healthier, exercising and learning more about the band.

Getting the motivation initially is probably the hardest part! But once you get going, I think your willpower gets stronger. Try talking to family or a close friend to help you through this. Having my parents help me (since I live with them) made things go a lot better. If you need to drop a few pounds, try the liquid Protein diet for a few days! It's almost guaranteed you'll lose a few. You can do this! Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to Dr. Elli in Chicago and I believe at my first appointment he just said I have to weigh less than I did that day. I know it would be better if I lose weight before the surgery and don't want to take the chance of not losing any weight and then the surgery be cancelled. I am just having a really hard time getting motivated to lose the weight I guess. I really need help in this area. I go to my last dr. appointment next Monday then it is submitted to my insurance company for approval, so I know I really have to lose weight NOW. Your support is greatly appreciated. And I wish you all the best!

Yesterday I started a 1200 calorie diet and journaling everything that I eat and drink. I also started walking yesterday. I think if I get my workout in the morning it will help me stay motivated through out the day. What is the liquid Protein diet?

Getting the motivation initially is probably the hardest part! But once you get going, I think your willpower gets stronger. Try talking to family or a close friend to help you through this. Having my parents help me (since I live with them) made things go a lot better. If you need to drop a few pounds, try the Liquid Protein diet for a few days! It's almost guaranteed you'll lose a few. You can do this! Good luck!