Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Many questions...need answers :)

Hello all, this is my first time on the site as I just had my very brief consult with the surgeon on Wednesday. I felt very rushed, was handed a packet on info to read and told to start making consult appointments right away. I felt so rushed that I couldn't even gather my thoughts to ask the right questions, it was overwhelming. I did feel comfortable however...the surgeon is my primary's husband and the nurse was very comforting..here are some questions that I'd like to have answered by the time I see him again, on 6/22..thanks for you help!

1. I am 26, newly married, want children in the future...can I stay banded while pregnant? Is it safe?

2. Since I am only 26, the thought of having this band in for the rest of my life seems scary..any thoughts on this?

3. How many nutritionist visits do I need? My insurance covers the surgery but not nutritional counseling (so dumb!) so this is a huge out of pocket expense for me.. I'd like to get the consult and that's it...especially since I've been to 2 nutritionists in the past- learned a lot but couldn't keep the weight off.

4. How much food will I actually be able to eat once I am recovered?? I def don't want to give up food for the rest of my life... I actually have great eating habits.. no junk, no sweets, really very healthy.. just overeat at times and get hungry very often, I am fearful of those hunger pains so I eat..its hard to explain...

5. Any advice to someone who is in the very early stages of this process?

Thanks again!:rolleyes:

You can eat a lot of stuff with the band, and some things you will find that you might have to give up. (MAYBE)

A lot of people average abut a cup of food per meal. I eat more, or less, or the same it depends on the food, how it's going down for you,

If your having a good day Arguing will cause mine to feel tighter, so I can't eat as much.

I drink Protein shakes for the Protein.< /p>

The band for the rest of your life..... Well it is a Tool. So it will go bad someday, and the idea is to get it updated. So unless you can learn to eat properly, and control the Hunger Beast. you will probably be Banded. If you can do this ! Then Good for you...

Things have changed since I got banded I guess. I only saw a Dietitian 1 time. But once you are Banded at Henry Fords, she is yours forever.

I see you suffer from the Hunger Beast, with enough fills, that can go away.

A lot of people who never were able to get pregnant (CO MORBITY) They get pregnant when they have lost weight. Not sure how that works.

Hope this helps.

Shirley.

Thanks for your reply Shirley...hearing from those who have or are going through it already inform me and interest me more than the research/clinical info. I feel hopeful for the first time, in a long time...so I hope this is the right path for me. I'll keep you posted!

You can get pregnant while banded, but they suggest not for 18 months after, and the band will be unfilled.

The band is a permanent thing, and when filled properly, you should be able to eat about a cup of food. BUT you can't drink until an hour or so after you have eaten and you can't drink while you eat.

Not sure about the nutritionist, though. I think it depends on your surgeon. I had a one time fee of $400, but can still see the nutritionist when I want.

Good luck!!

The band is perfect for someone wanting a baby in the future. You will have to wait a year or two after getting banded to have a baby. They will leave the band in place, and unfill it while your preg. then after you have the baby they can start to refill it so you can loose your baby wt. I'm not sure about the nutrician visits. I only had one via phone, but I was private pay. Each insurance seems to be slightly different in what they require. The doctor like you to have the nutrician consults too, but the insurance will have a set number or visits or months on a diet. The phone consult helped me alot. She didn't try to talk me out if it which I am grateful! She did however give me good advice and tips for making it through the 2 week pre-op diet, as well as the diet for after the lapband! The doctor explained to me that it is a tool you will have the rest of your life, but it is easily removed if ever needed. I'm 72 hours post-op so I can't help you much with the amount of food that you'll be able to eat in the long run.

Hello all, this is my first time on the site as I just had my very brief consult with the surgeon on Wednesday. I felt very rushed, was handed a packet on info to read and told to start making consult appointments right away. I felt so rushed that I couldn't even gather my thoughts to ask the right questions, it was overwhelming. I did feel comfortable however...the surgeon is my primary's husband and the nurse was very comforting..here are some questions that I'd like to have answered by the time I see him again, on 6/22..thanks for you help!

1. I am 26, newly married, want children in the future...can I stay banded while pregnant? Is it safe?

2. Since I am only 26, the thought of having this band in for the rest of my life seems scary..any thoughts on this?

3. How many nutritionist visits do I need? My insurance covers the surgery but not nutritional counseling (so dumb!) so this is a huge out of pocket expense for me.. I'd like to get the consult and that's it...especially since I've been to 2 nutritionists in the past- learned a lot but couldn't keep the weight off.

4. How much food will I actually be able to eat once I am recovered?? I def don't want to give up food for the rest of my life... I actually have great eating habits.. no junk, no sweets, really very healthy.. just overeat at times and get hungry very often, I am fearful of those hunger pains so I eat..its hard to explain...

5. Any advice to someone who is in the very early stages of this process?

Thanks again!:rolleyes:

Welcome! There is a pregnancy forum here at LBT. I believe most women get their bands unfilled while preggers to allow for more nutrition.

Sometimes bands need to be replaced. You can search pubmed for studies on it. It is an implanted device, and something to be considered.

Tell your surgeon you have worked with nutritionists in the past. I only had to do one consultation to be sure I understood how I should eat post-banding. As she is in my surgeon's office, it was part of an insurance-covered office visit with my surgeon.

How much you will be able to eat will depend on your restriction level. I am in maintenance mode now. I eat about 1500-1700 calories a day. A meal for me is about 3 oz of solid Protein, 1/2 cup of veggies, and some starch. I do not eat low-carb. I still eat all the foods I used to with the exception of very soft doughy breads (they get stuck) and white meat chicken (also gets stuck). I still have my junk food treats. Just not as often, and not as much. If I cannot eat solid Protein, my surgeon wants me to come in for an unfill. It is unacceptable to him for me to rely on Protein shakes and "slider" foods--foods that slide right on through the band. Those are foods like Soups, yogurt, and highly processed junk like chips, Cookies, ice cream, etc.

Advice for the early stages...don't get caught up in Last Supper Syndrome. you WILL eat your favorites again. There is no need to gorge yourself on food like you will never eat it again. My diet is pretty "normal" now. Except when my stomach is irritated from a bad stuck episode, most people watching me would not know that I've had weight loss surgery.

Don't stock up on boodles of Protein Shakes until you know that your surgeon wants you on them long-term. I bought a bunch of the stuff after reading on here how many people continue to use them after banding only to find out that my surgeon doesn't want me using them. He wants me eating my calories. I was only allowed them during the full liquid phase of post-op.

This forum is a great place for support. My surgeon has support groups, but his are too late in the evening for me to attend as I start work early in the morning. I hang out here a lot and credit it with with my continued success. It helps me keep my head in the game. In real life I only know one other banded person. It's great to come here and be able to connect with peeps who "get it!"

Welcome! There is a pregnancy forum here at LBT. I believe most women get their bands unfilled while preggers to allow for more nutrition.

Sometimes bands need to be replaced. You can search pubmed for studies on it. It is an implanted device, and something to be considered.

Tell your surgeon you have worked with nutritionists in the past. I only had to do one consultation to be sure I understood how I should eat post-banding. As she is in my surgeon's office, it was part of an insurance-covered office visit with my surgeon.

How much you will be able to eat will depend on your restriction level. I am in maintenance mode now. I eat about 1500-1700 calories a day. A meal for me is about 3 oz of solid Protein, 1/2 cup of veggies, and some starch. I do not eat low-carb. I still eat all the foods I used to with the exception of very soft doughy breads (they get stuck) and white meat chicken (also gets stuck). I still have my junk food treats. Just not as often, and not as much. If I cannot eat solid Protein, my surgeon wants me to come in for an unfill. It is unacceptable to him for me to rely on protein shakes and "slider" foods--foods that slide right on through the band. Those are foods like Soups, yogurt, and highly processed junk like chips, Cookies, ice cream, etc.

Advice for the early stages...don't get caught up in Last Supper Syndrome. you WILL eat your favorites again. There is no need to gorge yourself on food like you will never eat it again. My diet is pretty "normal" now. Except when my stomach is irritated from a bad stuck episode, most people watching me would not know that I've had weight loss surgery.

Don't stock up on boodles of Protein Shakes until you know that your surgeon wants you on them long-term. I bought a bunch of the stuff after reading on here how many people continue to use them after banding only to find out that my surgeon doesn't want me using them. He wants me eating my calories. I was only allowed them during the full liquid phase of post-op.

This forum is a great place for support. My surgeon has support groups, but his are too late in the evening for me to attend as I start work early in the morning. I hang out here a lot and credit it with with my continued success. It helps me keep my head in the game. In real life I only know one other banded person. It's great to come here and be able to connect with peeps who "get it!"

Thank you..you reply was very helpful. I guess that's my concern - I don't want to live on mushy foods or shakes for the rest of my life...I do want to eat reg food. Hearing that you can eat a full meal..just less of it, is great! I have the knowledge about measuring food and the amount I SHOULD be eating now...but my stomach/mind fights me on it. I get hungry all the times and I hate the feeling of hunger pains- shakey, light-headed, irritable, headache...if I didn't have that intense physical disturbance, I'd be able to do this on my own...but I think I've stretched my stomach to a place where it just wants to hold more food. I will have all of my consults and referral letters done by my next appointment with my surgeon on the 22nd, so I am excited that this could be my last FAT summer :) Thanks again for all your advice...I will be attending a support group at my surgeon's office on the 27th.