Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hellp me i postpond my sergery due on 31st may

hi my name is maria and i just started to read this forum guys i am reading this forum for last three days and i had the lap band sergery on 31st of may but now i am very confused after reading ur stories so i postpond my sergery yesterday i am 104 kg and my BMI is 41 and i have no any medical issues i am very scared that if i go for sergery than i can have all these pains like stomach pain tightning in chest gas and so on . i want to quick fix but i don't think it is quick fix for me i tried so many things like shakes i went to dietician but every time i loose my weight around 6 to 7 kg and then gave up and it came back again.i can't do exercise i never done in my whole life and still don't want to do so if i go for this sergery than i still need to do exercise its look like i am buying pain by giving money am i right plz help me i am very upset don't know what to do i am going to see my doctor today to discuss all these things .

plz give me ur views am i doing right to don't go for this lap band and try to loose weight with shakes as i am already on shakes for pre op diet.

my personality is like that i cant take pain and if it happens to me that i want to remove the band and u know its gona be waste of money.

plz guys help me what ur experiences say.

It sounds like you should do more research on the band before you have the surgery. It isn't a quick fix and it is automatic. If you aren't willing to change how you eat and to exercise it may not work for you. Did I hurt after surgery, yes I did but to me it was worth it. For me the surgery saved my life. I would do it again any day. I've lost 50 lbs so far, 38 since surgery in march. You BMI is 41, if your weight hasn't effected your health it will at some point. I think the surgery is the best thing I've done but if you aren't willing to work at it, it won't work for you. The pain is nothing to me, because there isn't much at this point and because it's worth it. You have to learn to eat all over again, but that's good I don't miss fast food. I eat great tasting food now. I feel better than I have in years.

Dont get it , you are not ready , but more then likely you will get the band , complain all the time , why you don't lose weight , don't do anything to change and then go around telling people the band doesnt work , so please make sure you know what you are getting into before you start this journey

If your looking for a quick fix this isn't it... sorry to break it to you. Lap band isn't going to fix all of your problems with obesity. It's major surgery and you will have pain and there are complications. Have you told your doctor your looking for a "quick fix"? What does he/she say?

I made the decision to get lap band in October 10 was banded 4/6/11, which is pretty quick considering I got insurance approval in that time. I don't think I really realized the seriousness of the surgery and I've had to learn post op... mind you I don't regret surgery at all! I put in 10 times as much effort now as I ever did preop! I have to work really hard. I watch everything I eat, calorie count, monitor my calorie output daily, I am not so great at the exercise thing but I realize I would have better results if I improved that area as well.

If your not prepared for some pain and struggle, not to mention put in a lot of effort I would recommend that you think really hard about what you are about to do. Now me... I didn't realize how much work it would be at first but I am totally committed now. This could be the thing you need to give yourself some accountability and "force" you into becoming a healthier you.

Best of luck coming up with your decision!

there is no "quick fix" and does not sound like the band will help u much, because it is a tool and u will still need to modify behavior. Maybe u should look into gastric bypass which will force you to change for first year, but even then you have to change your behavior or can regain all the weight back over time. Gas pains come with any major surgery and even porcudures like colonostomy, but it generally does not last more than a couple weeks...well worth it!

I am 2 days post-op. I've only slowed down becouse I don't want to mess up the band! The only pain I've had is gas pain. It just takes time for it to pass, but it will. I'm sore a little but not bad. I haven't even taken any pain medication. It's not that bad. Please keep in mind that the average wt. loss with the band according to the doctors in 4-8 pounds a month. It's not real quick, but in the long run each and every pound counts, and adds up! I will tell you that if you do research you will see that the band has a longer lasting sucess rate than the bypass does. If you get a bypass and overeat then overtime you will stretch the stomach back out, and it will be almost as if you never had it to begin with. The lapband is a tool you will have perm. if you mess up too much you can have a second chance by getting a fill! Please don't let a little pain scare you away from this surgery! Being overweight will cause you a lot of pain in the future that will last until you loose weight. The pain (which isn't much more than just soreness) will end soon after surgery then you can resume a normal life with less food, less weight, and more energy and better health!

Hi guys thanku for giving me great advices i have cancelled my lap band sergery for while and i will do more research on that .for the time being i will try to loose weight with opti fast shakes let see how i will go with that.

once again thanks and good luck with ur weight loss.

Hi Maria, stay on this site. You will learn a lot about banding really means. It is truly wonderful thing you can do for yourself.

Maria,

It seems as though you're not ready for a tool to help with the weight loss. Not wanting to exercise is just not going to work. This is a tool that needs to be used properly and is no quick fix. It is going to involve some pain, restriction, tightening etc. I think you're assuming this is just going to stop the calories from going down and never having to exercise. I know this might seem rude, but I think you're better off looking into liposuction with that attitude. No exercise and quick results! If you're not ready to take responsibility for this, you really should not consider a lapband.

Hi guys thanku for giving me great advices i have cancelled my lap band sergery for while and i will do more research on that .for the time being i will try to loose weight with opti fast shakes let see how i will go with that.

once again thanks and good luck with ur weight loss.

Hi Maria,This is the best thing I have ever done for myself I am 15 day post op now,I have not gotten sick or had gas I am a little sour,just back to work But I have a very labor intense job, just follow DR. words like they mean somthing,when it comes to food chew like you are the blender before it gowes down.Don't let a few not so good comments stop you look at all the good this will have on your life as I am already noticing in mine..hear is my email if you want talk off this site stevensfive@shaw.ca I am in Canada but had my lapband done in the USA hope all gose well .

hi my name is maria and i just started to read this forum guys i am reading this forum for last three days and i had the lap band sergery on 31st of may but now i am very confused after reading ur stories so i postpond my sergery yesterday i am 104 kg and my BMI is 41 and i have no any medical issues i am very scared that if i go for sergery than i can have all these pains like stomach pain tightning in chest gas and so on . i want to quick fix but i don't think it is quick fix for me i tried so many things like shakes i went to dietician but every time i loose my weight around 6 to 7 kg and then gave up and it came back again.i can't do exercise i never done in my whole life and still don't want to do so if i go for this sergery than i still need to do exercise its look like i am buying pain by giving money am i right plz help me i am very upset don't know what to do i am going to see my doctor today to discuss all these things .

plz give me ur views am i doing right to don't go for this lap band and try to loose weight with shakes as i am already on shakes for pre op diet.

my personality is like that i cant take pain and if it happens to me that i want to remove the band and u know its gona be waste of money.

plz guys help me what ur experiences say.

I don't think anyone is trying to stop her to stop her from losing weight. We're all saying she is not prepared or ready for this! I'm surprised she has a surgeon that has even discussed the surgery with her (unless she lied about exercising). I can't tell you how many times I was told this is a tool and is not an easy fix and you will have to exercise for results. The things she said that make me think she is not ready for this...

" i want to quick fix"

".i can't do exercise i never done in my whole life and still don't want to do so if i go for this sergery than i still need to do exercise"

"my personality is like that i cant take pain and if it happens to me that i want to remove the band and u know its gona be waste of money."

To me, those are triggers that show she is NOT ready or responsible enough to use this tool properly. She wants a quick fix, a tool doesn't do the work on it's own! She says she never exercises and still won't, she's not ready to make the commitment to change her lifestyle. She's looking at it as though the pain is not worth the outcome. Well, if you really want a new life and want to become healthy, the pain is worth it. I'm not feeling great on day 4 but I don't regret this one bit! I don't feel like I wasted my money and I know I need to exercise! I can't wait to get back to the gym and start feeling better! I wasn't encouraging someone not to do the band because I do think it is a life saving tool but I don't feel she is ready for this.

I'm not going to encourage someone that is most likely going to fail because they're not ready to take the responsibility of having the band work with them. However, if she researches this and truly understands it and does it for the right reasons and will do what she needs to do, then I would definitely encourage her.

Hi Maria,This is the best thing I have ever done for myself I am 15 day post op now,I have not gotten sick or had gas I am a little sour,just back to work But I have a very labor intense job, just follow DR. words like they mean somthing,when it comes to food chew like you are the blender before it gowes down.Don't let a few not so good comments stop you look at all the good this will have on your life as I am already noticing in mine..hear is my email if you want talk off this site stevensfive@shaw.ca I am in Canada but had my lapband done in the USA hope all gose well .

I don't think anyone is trying to stop her to stop her from losing weight. We're all saying she is not prepared or ready for this! I'm surprised she has a surgeon that has even discussed the surgery with her (unless she lied about exercising). I can't tell you how many times I was told this is a tool and is not an easy fix and you will have to exercise for results. The things she said that make me think she is not ready for this...

" i want to quick fix"

".i can't do exercise i never done in my whole life and still don't want to do so if i go for this sergery than i still need to do exercise"

"my personality is like that i cant take pain and if it happens to me that i want to remove the band and u know its gona be waste of money."

To me, those are triggers that show she is NOT ready or responsible enough to use this tool properly. She wants a quick fix, a tool doesn't do the work on it's own! She says she never exercises and still won't, she's not ready to make the commitment to change her lifestyle. She's looking at it as though the pain is not worth the outcome. Well, if you really want a new life and want to become healthy, the pain is worth it. I'm not feeling great on day 4 but I don't regret this one bit! I don't feel like I wasted my money and I know I need to exercise! I can't wait to get back to the gym and start feeling better! I wasn't encouraging someone not to do the band because I do think it is a life saving tool but I don't feel she is ready for this.

I'm not going to encourage someone that is most likely going to fail because they're not ready to take the responsibility of having the band work with them. However, if she researches this and truly understands it and does it for the right reasons and will do what she needs to do, then I would definitely encourage her.

Well put! That is exactly where I was coming from with my first reply.

Sounds like you should get into some support group classes. They will address your needs and fears and help you get ready for the surgery if you decide to have it. My insurance requires I take several classes. They are very interesting and always take questions.

Dearnorthofborder, my surgeon wouldn't do surgery on someone who has unrealistic expectations of the surgery for one single reason. People who fail at this can bedevistated by the failure. Some people see him as hard for not giving people what they want but after reading posts frompeop,e who didn't loose think he is right. Better she wait and learn and then do it. Right now she isn't ready.

I have to agree with my fellow posters that you don't really seem ready to get banded. It is definitely not a quick fix - but for me it was the miracle I needed. I have learned Portion Control and to listen to my body. Was there pain - yes, but it wasn't horrid. Was I scared - well, I was nervous for the surgery itself, but not about being banded - I was excited. I have gone from a size 22 last June to just about a size 10 now. I am having a Tummy Tuck next month and I am nervous and excited about that too

It sounds like you have unrealistic expectations from the lap band - you need to def take a step back and think about it.