Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise versus how much calories I need.

Okay so I work out 40 minutes of cardio in the mornings. I'm working my way slowly up to an hour. I am now going to start lifting in the evenings as well probably about 20-30 minutes starting out, nothing hardcore or heavy. I just want to do some lightweight toning, small weights, leg exercises and situps..etc.

My question being I just recently moved my calories up to 1200 because I was only eating 1000 but I saw a huge stall on the scale and figured I wasn't eating enough. Should I leave it at 1200? Or will the lifting in the evenings cause me to need to increase my calories too?

Thanks for your input!

Okay so I work out 40 minutes of cardio in the mornings. I'm working my way slowly up to an hour. I am now going to start lifting in the evenings as well probably about 20-30 minutes starting out, nothing hardcore or heavy. I just want to do some lightweight toning, small weights, leg exercises and situps..etc.

My question being I just recently moved my calories up to 1200 because I was only eating 1000 but I saw a huge stall on the scale and figured I wasn't eating enough. Should I leave it at 1200? Or will the lifting in the evenings cause me to need to increase my calories too?

Thanks for your input!

Can't answer for sure. I use a bodybugg, it monitors how much I burn and how much I eat. It sure helps me figure out when I can add a snack and when I need to walk away!

Keep your calories between 1,200-1,500. Some days you may want to increase your intake to 1,800 calories to help stir your body up a little and get you burning more calories (yes - eat more calories one day every week or every other week to burn more calories).

And don't bother with small weights. They're useless.

You don't carry your groceries into the house one item at a time do you?

If you can carry a watermelon (10-15 lbs), or a jug of laundry detergent (8-24 lbs), or 1 gallon of Water (8 lbs) then you should be using those weights at a minimum when you work out.

Lift the heaviest weight you can that will allow you to do 8-10 reps. You will not get huge, but you will burn more fat, build more muscle, and will reduce the chance of having a lot of loose skin.

Body weight workouts are really ideal: pushups, situps, crunches, jack knives, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, step ups, etc.