Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Sources

Greetings,

I am still in week one post op and I am having no problem what so ever with the liquid diet. I am planning down the road for weeks 3 & 4 and beyond. My post op diet instructions were to eat 800 to 1000 calories per day from now on and that 50% of my body weight in grams (ie 310 pounds = 310 grams or 50% is 155 grams) needs to be Protein each day.

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to get 155 grams of Protein AND stay under 1000 calories per day.

Any suggestions?

Ron Wensley

Ron,

I am a year out and still utilize Protein Shakes to get my Protein in. I eat alot of high Protein nonfat greek yogurt and dry roasted lightly salted edamame...I would continue with the protein supplements I know that the Protein Shake I use......it is 130 calories/4 carbs and 25 grams of protein. I have three of them a day and the rest I eat is other sources (solid sources but low fat) I also try to stick with a high protein/low carb diet. Good luck!

Greetings,

I am still in week one post op and I am having no problem what so ever with the liquid diet. I am planning down the road for weeks 3 & 4 and beyond. My post op diet instructions were to eat 800 to 1000 calories per day from now on and that 50% of my body weight in grams (ie 310 pounds = 310 grams or 50% is 155 grams) needs to be protein each day.

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to get 155 grams of protein AND stay under 1000 calories per day.

Any suggestions?

Ron Wensley

Greetings,

I am still in week one post op and I am having no problem what so ever with the liquid diet. I am planning down the road for weeks 3 & 4 and beyond. My post op diet instructions were to eat 800 to 1000 calories per day from now on and that 50% of my body weight in grams (ie 310 pounds = 310 grams or 50% is 155 grams) needs to be Protein each day.

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to get 155 grams of Protein AND stay under 1000 calories per day.

Any suggestions?

Ron Wensley

Are you sure that it's not 50% of your ideal body weight--not current weight? I've never heard such a high number for protein grams/day.

My nutritionist says I need to aim for 60-90g a day, and that sure isn't half my weight ;) Is this the recommendation of your doctor?

Are you sure that it's not 50% of your ideal body weight--not current weight? I've never heard such a high number for Protein grams/day.

cottage cheese: I believe most 2% has 15 grams of Protein per half cup (I still choose 2% over 0% because there's only a difference of about 10 calories between the two, and 0% has higher carbs. Also, I hate the more liquidy consistency and taste of 0%);

greek yogurt: You can find brands with 19 or more grams of protein per half cup. I think Liberte has a plain greek yogurt with 18 grams. Look especially for plain greek yogurt, which has higher protein, and lower calories and carbs than fruit flavours;

eggs: there are only 70 calories for a large egg, which is a good source of amino acids and important nutrients;

chicken breast: 1 chicken breast has 3 times the protein than 1 thigh (30 g vs. 10g), while having a lower fat content;

tuna (or other fish): high protein, low calories and fat

tofu: only a half-cup provides 20g of protein, while being very low in calories and fat (make sure to use a low-calorie marinade; or only a few teaspoons of soy sauce which is absorbed well by tofu)

beans: some provide about 10g of protein in a half-cup; low fat, high potassium, Iron, and Fiber.

protein powders: some doctors advise against Protein Shakes because you don't get the fullness from them as you would from eating solids. I don't think this is a big deal for many bandsters, as long as they're monitoring their caloric intake well and they know that they're not exceeding it. I don't really have a problem with fitting protein powders into a 1100 calorie or lower diet, while not being hungry, so they've been very useful to me in getting in protein. If you're still experiencing hunger while restricting your diet, then solid foods is probably the way to go. However, if you have room for about 130 calories in your daily budget, a low-carb, low-sugar Protein Powder can boost your protein intake by about 25g or two scoops (260 cals) by 50g. The brand that I use is Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. The flavours that are most popular or almost unanimously liked are mocha cappuchino (I have this and, with milk, it's pretty close to chocolate milk), double rich chocolate, and delicious strawberry. Other people also talk about Muscle Milk and GNC's protein powder.

Are you male? If so, your 1000 calorie limit seems very strict compared to most guidelines. Have you consulted your family doctor? Also, I find it hard to get in more than 120g of protein on a 1100 cal diet, while also eating 3-5 servings of veggies a day. However, I'm a vegetarian, and I'm sure it's much easier getting 150g of protein in with a meat diet. And, I'm not very strict with what I eat; I'll have a bite of anything I like as long as it fits into my day's caloric budget and I've met my other nutritional needs. To meet 150 grams of protein, you just need to make sure that every meal you consume is efficient (high protein to calorie ratio). People on the low-carb subforum should be able to help you.

Peanut Butter is good for Protein, too! I add it to my smoothies. Karen