Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks

Hello, This is my first time writing. I am having my lap band surgery in 2 week. Wow, when I think it's only 2 weeks away, I get nervous. There is a part of me that is fearful. Fearful that it won't work, that I'll blow it & still be fat. I've read some comments & I see that can be the case. I want to be successful, I want to change my attitudes. I know that is the only way it will work.

If you have something positive to say, please do so. If it is negative, please don't respond, I'm too vulnerable, hope you understand.

Thank you!

Hello, This is my first time writing. I am having my lap band surgery in 2 week. Wow, when I think it's only 2 weeks away, I get nervous. There is a part of me that is fearful. Fearful that it won't work, that I'll blow it & still be fat. I've read some comments & I see that can be the case. I want to be successful, I want to change my attitudes. I know that is the only way it will work.

If you have something positive to say, please do so. If it is negative, please don't respond, I'm too vulnerable, hope you understand.

Thank you!

I totally understand. I just made the decision this past week to check into this and thru research I found this forum. I am becoming addicted to it. I am still waiting for the surgical center to call me so they can set up the seminar for me and I am very anxious. I have already had similar thoughts. Here is what I have learned this past week. First, this forum is a huge source of knowledge, encouragement and inspiration. I will keeping reading them and learning from others. Second, I have seen (personally) both sides. I have a friend who struggles and another who has done great. The one doing so well uses it as the tool it is meant to be. It is because of her that I have called the surgical center. Yes, it is up to us to make wise choices in what we eat, but for me I feel it will be a little easier if I am not about to eat the entire house. I am trying to educate myself on what foods are best and what shakes are best. One of my first purchases will be a Magic Bullet to chop up some Soups and other foods as needed. Good luck to you.

A lot of us go into this hoping it will work but worrying that it won't...it's normal since we have failed at so many attempts to lose weight in the past.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to go into this with an open mind and be prepared to do your part. Over the past 5 months since I had surgery, I can't tell you the number of posts I have seen on here by people who were frustrated and giving up because they weren't prepared to make the lifestyle changes necessary to be a success. For a lot of people, once the swelling goes down after surgery they don't feel any restriction at all. This time period until you feel restriction will be the most challenging...your band won't limit your portion sizes as much as you want and you will probably wonder why you did this if it all boils down to willpower...just keep remembering why you decided to have surgery in the first place and that this period of "bandster hell" will no last forever. Also, don't compare your weight loss with others...there are people on here who were banded at the same time I was who have lost more weight and some who have lost less. Everyone's experience is different so don't make yourself crazy by trying to compare...

I can honestly tell you that having the surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself. If you go into this with the right mind-set you will do great!!

A lot of us go into this hoping it will work but worrying that it won't...it's normal since we have failed at so many attempts to lose weight in the past.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to go into this with an open mind and be prepared to do your part. Over the past 5 months since I had surgery, I can't tell you the number of posts I have seen on here by people who were frustrated and giving up because they weren't prepared to make the lifestyle changes necessary to be a success. For a lot of people, once the swelling goes down after surgery they don't feel any restriction at all. This time period until you feel restriction will be the most challenging...your band won't limit your portion sizes as much as you want and you will probably wonder why you did this if it all boils down to willpower...just keep remembering why you decided to have surgery in the first place and that this period of "bandster hell" will no last forever. Also, don't compare your weight loss with others...there are people on here who were banded at the same time I was who have lost more weight and some who have lost less. Everyone's experience is different so don't make yourself crazy by trying to compare...

I can honestly tell you that having the surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself. If you go into this with the right mind-set you will do great!!

Awesome advice, thank you Vicky. I feel excited and I still haven't been to the seminar.

well first let my congratulate you on making a decision that is going to change your life. having fears that it wont work and you'll still be fat is sooooo normal. i'm sure plenty of ppl have had them including me. i was banded last friday and when i woke up in recovery i thought what in the hell did i just do to myself!!! now 4 days post-op i am sooooo glad i went through with it. this forum is a great way to get support. of course there are gonna be negative experiences, but isnt that with everything. we've had negative experiences at restaurants, with various companies and we didnt crawl into a corner and die. as long as you have a peace about your decision i say go for it. there will be times when you second guess yourself, but isnt that with any major decision you make in your life. the lap band is not an easy way out, when i caluclate it i will have been without "real" food for 6 weeks, now what is easy about that! but it's gonna be soooo worth it. feel free to PM me if you have questions or just wanna vent. best wishes in your journey to the new you!!!:D

Thank you!

Wow, Thank you everyone for sharing with me! Thank you too for your good advice & perspective.

I see this forum will be a great way to get support & information. I look forward to digging deeper into this.

I just met with the psychologist & talked about some of these issues. I have been such a black or white person, I need to learn to see the shades of grey in between & all the colors of the rainbow.

I found out I need to have a colonoscopy & an upper GI endoscopy before the LapBand, ugh!

Thank you again for all your help!