Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

completely devestated today. HELP!

I really hope i'm normal here but today I just want to bash my head against a brick wall.

I was banded 5th may and last weeks, exactly 7 days post op i weighed myself and i was down by 14lbs, which was great, but not unusual i hear, due to the fact that i was only consuming 3 200ml cups of stock Water per day.

Since then I've gone onto mushies and Protein shakes (Slimfast meal shakes -220cals per bottle). I have 2 shakes per day and 1 small tin of weightwatchers Soup (88cals) and as much Water as i can drink. Thats pretty much been in for the entire day.

I weighed myself this morning expecting to be down another few pounds. didn't expect the same large results by any means. I would have been happy with 1 or 2 pounds.

But I got on the scales and I actually weighed 4lbs MORE than I did last week.

Not to be dramatic, but i bascially wanted to throw myself out of a window at that point. I've not broken my regime, ive not sat on my bum all week but i've somehow managed to gain weight on what I see as a pretty restrictive diet. and what really gets me is that physically, i dont actually have any restriction. I'm unfilled (wont be getting first fill until june) and know i could eat more. But i've really stuck my heels in and havn't given in to cravings and I just feel completely bummed. I refuse to weigh myself religiously so I thought once a week was a happy medium, but now i feel completely let down.

Anyone know whats going on? Any help/advise would be gratefully recieved.

(also, no ticker, but i have about 150lbs to lose total so one would think now is the time for speedy loses before it stabalises)

It's completely normal. i am in the same boat as you, banded May 4th and about 3 pounds heavier than surgery day.

there are a couple of things happening. 1. you left liquids and are now eating mushy foods. your body is adjusting to that change.

2. consuming so few calories (under 1,200 or under 1,000) puts the body into starvation mode. it absolutely will not let go of weight because it needs the fat stores for energy to keep bodily functions working.

just use this first 5-6 weeks to heal and don't worry about the scale. once your body kind of adjusts, things will start happening. try to make sure you are getting enough calories. it's been difficult for me to get much more than 800 calories per day and i really am trying. i know that with few calories, i'm not going to lose weight...i might lose muscle or something, but i'm not going to lose any fat.

i have a lot of weight to lose also, and i am anxious to really get started and see those results, but i know i just need to be patient. it's going to happen. just focus on healing inside. you may feel better on the outside, but really your stomach is still healing from a trauma and your body is figuring out how to cope with that.

i'll bet that by june, your scale will start moving again.

I know it's heartbreaking, but I promise you, it's very common! Just don't give up. This period is the hardest for most band patients. It WILL come off, your body just had to get used to what you're doing. I'd also try to make sure you're taking in at least 60 grams of Protein per day-- I'm not sure how much is in SlimFast shakes, and there's probably very little in the Soups you're having.

I had the same thing happen and it still happens from time to time. Its Water, not fat! To gain 4 lbs of fat you would have to consume more than 12,000 extra calories. You didn't do that. Maybe it's hormones, may be you didnt drink enough. Don't fret it, just make sure you drink enough and maybe up the amount some. It will come off and then you will be off and running again. Today I am .8 lbs more than yesterday. I had salted nuts yesterday, and I never eat anything salted so to day I put on water. The worst part is that my family asked meal the time how much have you lost now every time they see me. I just say oh about the same when I'm having these water weight struggles. I would say look at your overall calorie consumption and make sure you are getting around 1000 calories and maybe up to 1200. My Doc wants it closer to 1000 though. Don't eat too little.

I lost about 20lbs the first week and then gained 10 back over the next 3weeks before my first fill 1 month out. It is completely normal. Don't fret and keep your chin up, and the best thing you can do for the first 3-4 weeks or so is stay off the scale :) I know it's addicting, but it really is the best thing you can do. I struggle not to check it everyday, but it's such a disappointment to see even a minute gain, that I do much better checking it once a week. So that's what I try to do. But if I happen to just have a horrible need to know, I jump on to see, but never more than twice a week.

I feel so much better now, I want to give you all hugs!! Thank you so much everyone, you've really put my mind at complete ease and after what you've said i realise that while i thought i was getting enough Protein and Water, looking at what i consume more carefully, i'm really not drinking enough and my protein could definatly be higher!

I was also under-eating by nearly 400 cals! (completely not deliberate)

Can't thank you all enough for all your words of wisdom, i really was upset this morning but now i'm back to my hopeful norm and thats down to you guys, so thank you all, once again :D

Lot of love for everyone here today!