Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weighing and measuring food

While right now I'm on the pre op Clear Liquids and shakes diet I like to think ahead. So I was wondering what kind of food scales do you have and where did you get them. Also what do you use to measure your portion sizes especially when cooking for a family of 4 knowing nobody in the house will eat as little ad you. Thanks in advance.

I'm going on a year post op and just bought a food scale today. My last fill was very tight, I am finally only eating less than a cup of food but am finding it challenging to get my protien in now, so i feel like i need to be more percise on exactlly how much protien I am eating. I bought my scale at Walmart, they had 4 or 5 to pick from under $30.oo

I think I got my scale at target...it is a digital scale that allows you to zero out the weight so I can put a plate in it, zero it out and then add the Protein I need to weigh. The only other thing you need is a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons.

Since my family doesn't eat like I do, I no longer put bowls and plates on the table during dinner...instead, I serve from the kitchen so I'm not tempted to eat more than I should. For my plate, I measure out 3-4 oz Protein and 1/2 cup veggies. Then I eat that, and only that. I also don't pour myself a drink at all...if it's not on the table then I can't drink it while I eat.

So far I've just used measuring cups to figure out my food. I know that 4 ounces of meat is about the size of a deck of cards, so when I cook I make up plates in the kitchen and carry them to the table for everyone. That way the food isn't sitting on the table to tempt me ;) I just put different amounts of stuff on my plate. For example Wednesday night I made baked chicken, brown rice, and salad. I used the chicken tender size breast pieces so they're smaller and easier for me to portion out for myself. I put one on my plate and 2 on my kids' plates, 3 on my DH's plate. I got a small spoonful of rice, they all got closer to 1/2 cup. I got a lot more salad than the girls did ;)

The funny thing about feeding your family with a AGB is that I always forget to put out glasses for everyone else biggrin.gif It doesn't even occur to me to do it anymore!

I haven't weighed and measured my foods yet. 3-4 oz of solid Protein is the size of your palm. A cup of food is the size of your fist. A tablespoon is the size of your thumb. After all the years of doing Weight Watchers I was good at estimating portions (doesn't mean I did it, of course!). So now I apply that knowledge.

For me, it is important to not make a big deal out of my diet. Note: it is just hubby and me at home. We cook for the two of us and I portion out my plate. I eat until I hear the whisper of satiety, and I am done. If there is still food on my plate, so be it. If I start to feel any pain like I am getting stuck, I stop. If I was only two bites into my meal, oh well. Putting more food down will NOT go well.

Weight Watchers centers used to sell serving spoons that were also measuring cups. So you could easily portion out a quarter or half cup of veggies or rice. They also had a variety of scales. You didn't have to be a member to purchase them. Just go in at the beginning part of a meeting and make the purchase.

MIne came from Target...it is a digital scale that was under $30. I also use a set of measuring cups / spoons for sauces, potatoes etc.

I still cook for 2 since the kids are gone so hubby usually eats the leftovers for lunch the next day. For me I use a small plate and measure out 3-4 oz of Protein, 1/4 c starch and 1/2 c veggies. It fills up the plate perfectly.

When I am out I just eyeball it. And I always ask for an extra plate or to go box and take what I know I can eat and put the rest in a box to take home.